• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Thought I would share. The first couple videos are pretty long and slow. By part 3 it starts getting particularly interesting. The real "meat and potatoes" hits in part 5. I'll add part 6 tomorrow once they post it.

I would encourage you to share this far and wide. Hell, this should be a sticky IMO.
    Some people seem to forget and lose sight too easily.

[video=youtube;k4kDQCNlWW0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4kDQCNlWW0[/video]

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Indeed. I was lucky to have teachers that taught truthful history. While they did it well, they weren't quite as passionate and involved in the topic in presentation as Reid. Bravo
    Our teacher skimmed a lot of stuff, but it was in text so I read it. have always loved the american revolution (even before I knew I liked firearms). Now it's a bonus. :)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Our teacher skimmed a lot of stuff, but it was in text so I read it. have always loved the american revolution (even before I knew I liked firearms). Now it's a bonus. :)
    Same here. I always found history interesting in general, but especially American history.

I liked it even more once I got older and our family history got passed on to me for record and continued research. 3 generations of my family fought as officers in the revolution (Father, son, grandson). Their stories are quite impressive and I love researching this stuff. Difficult to do, but it's rewarding in its own way.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Still making my way through Part 2 right now. Have to keep stopping to do actual work. Sheesh.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok, finally finished the series.

Overall I thought it was very good. Reid is a good dude and presents the material well. It's obvious that he enjoys the history, and sharing it with others.

My only critique would be a suggestion to dive deeper into making the material come alive and make it more personal. Many times I find historical accounts to be somewhat unrelatable because it was so long ago. It can be difficult to really understand the thought processes of those affected. Reid skims over a few areas I would've liked to hear more about.

Anyone who appreciates the historical lessons during Appleseed shoots would enjoy this series.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My only critique would be a suggestion to dive deeper into making the material come alive and make it more personal. Many times I find historical accounts to be somewhat unrelatable because it was so long ago.
    What would you have in mind?

I thought it was presented well, but perhaps I have a more personal connection to it from knowing my ancestor's involvement and enjoying history anyhow. :dunno:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Ok, finally finished the series.

Overall I thought it was very good. Reid is a good dude and presents the material well. It's obvious that he enjoys the history, and sharing it with others.

My only critique would be a suggestion to dive deeper into making the material come alive and make it more personal. Many times I find historical accounts to be somewhat unrelatable because it was so long ago. It can be difficult to really understand the thought processes of those affected. Reid skims over a few areas I would've liked to hear more about.

Anyone who appreciates the historical lessons during Appleseed shoots would enjoy this series.
    What do you think he skimmed over? Just wondering. I know that he could've went into further detail about the quartering of soldiers and what pansies they were, but I think we already know that.

Funny thing, the Brits teach that they only lost because they all had dysentery or diarrhea from coming off the ships from England...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What would you have in mind?

What do you think he skimmed over?

With a name like "Fighting Mindset of our Founding Fathers" I was expecting more of a mindset lecture adapted to the backdrop of the 1770s. I was looking for a focus on the thought processes, motivations, and struggles that the Minutemen and colonists had to deal with. As an observer I wanted to be put in their shoes and asked if I could make the same sacrifices.

Reid did a great job and taught quite the lesson, so my own personal critique shouldn't take away from that. What I'm asking for may have been outside the realm of what he wanted to convey, and that's OK.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    With a name like "Fighting Mindset of our Founding Fathers" I was expecting more of a mindset lecture adapted to the backdrop of the 1770s. I was looking for a focus on the thought processes, motivations, and struggles that the Minutemen and colonists had to deal with. As an observer I wanted to be put in their shoes and asked if I could make the same sacrifices.

Reid did a great job and taught quite the lesson, so my own personal critique shouldn't take away from that. What I'm asking for may have been outside the realm of what he wanted to convey, and that's OK.
    I can see where the title is a little misleading. I'd agree.

Like you said, it was still an excellent lecture with information much of society seems to have forgotten/trying to re-write.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Like you said, it was still an excellent lecture with information much of society seems to have forgotten/trying to re-write.

What really stood out to me was just how much our rights and freedoms have been eroded over the years. It's been a slow process so we don't notice the stark contrast. I feel like our current society is well past the point we were back in the 1770s when they took action.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    What really stood out to me was just how much our rights and freedoms have been eroded over the years. It's been a slow process so we don't notice the stark contrast. I feel like our current society is well past the point we were back in the 1770s when they took action.

I certainly agree. I have my own theories as to the most significant contributing factors, but at this point it's too late to address those specifically without a repeat of history.

Instituting a government system with paid law makers gives the belief that they MUST create laws regularly to warrant their pay, rather than simply addressing laws on a truly as needed basis. This system and theory are the basis for erosion of rights because inevitably the more laws you create the more freedoms you lose and their daily job is to create more laws.

Top Bottom