• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    So I deep fried a turkey back on new years as when I was done with the oil, I filtered it through a funnel filter I bought at Cabalas that was packaged for filtering cooking oil. I tried it and a coffee filter. Well, the coffee filter only allows about a pint through per day. The filter from Cabalas allowed the oil to pass through rather quickly, but in my opinion, it didn't filter out enough of the finer particulate. I pulled the oil back out to fry some chicken wing and a few other things over the past week and its time to put it away again. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what or where I can get some filters to do this? If you know of a place to get filter media of differing particulate sizes, that would be great as well.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    go to a restaurant supply store. They make a couple of specific filters for this very purpose. As far as I am aware there is a cone filter to hold under the spigot of the fryer. There are also flat filters to go in the bottom of the self-filtering units. I know the flat filters were nearly a 1/4 think, can't remember about the cone filters.

Might also look at sites for the bio-diesel guys, i'm sure they need to filter this fairly good.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    So I deep fried a turkey back on new years as when I was done with the oil, I filtered it through a funnel filter I bought at Cabalas that was packaged for filtering cooking oil. I tried it and a coffee filter. Well, the coffee filter only allows about a pint through per day. The filter from Cabalas allowed the oil to pass through rather quickly, but in my opinion, it didn't filter out enough of the finer particulate. I pulled the oil back out to fry some chicken wing and a few other things over the past week and its time to put it away again. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what or where I can get some filters to do this? If you know of a place to get filter media of differing particulate sizes, that would be great as well.

Coffee filters work real good, I tie them to the end of my pump when draing the oil out, gets everything, mileage may vary on how many you will need for each use.

Just as a side note for you, if you are going to reuse oil, filter it at least twice, store in a cool area with NO, I repeat NO light able to make contact with the oil. It shortens the life of your frying oil.

Just make sure you don't overheat the oil and filter it very good. Check for color and smell before you pour, if your color is still clear and there is no rancid smell, you should be good to go. I've had a 4 gallon jug last 4 fryings over 6 months.

Been deep frying for over 12 years and love it!

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    I guess I will have to make a trip to the supermarket to see if they have this cheesecloth stuff. I assume I would look for extra fine for the "grade" of filtration, right? I guess I will look through the cooking and utensils isles. I never thought to use a cotton t-shirt. I've been meaning to go to Gordon Food Service for sometime now, guess I have yet another thing to look for when I get there, more filtering ideas.
    As of now, I keep the oil under the kitchen sink in the jug it came it. That is about the coolest, darkest place I have that is accessible. Maybe come summertime I will have to move it to the basement as the under sink will most likely warm up then. I figure a Memorial Day party might be the last of this oil since that will be about the 5th month of storage, then I will have to figure out disposal.
    Thanks for the advice all.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I guess I will have to make a trip to the supermarket to see if they have this cheesecloth stuff. I assume I would look for extra fine for the "grade" of filtration, right? I guess I will look through the cooking and utensils isles. I never thought to use a cotton t-shirt. I've been meaning to go to Gordon Food Service for sometime now, guess I have yet another thing to look for when I get there, more filtering ideas.
    As of now, I keep the oil under the kitchen sink in the jug it came it. That is about the coolest, darkest place I have that is accessible. Maybe come summertime I will have to move it to the basement as the under sink will most likely warm up then. I figure a Memorial Day party might be the last of this oil since that will be about the 5th month of storage, then I will have to figure out disposal.
    Thanks for the advice all.

Google is our friend!!!! :rockwoot:

CLICKY ----> Shopping Cart Checkout

Top Bottom