Finally defeated my biggest carry phobia.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Been a long time coming but I finally fought off one of my biggest fears and carried my Kimber "cocked and locked" for an entire day. Not a big deal to most, but to me this was an enormous step in getting comfortable carrying my favorite shooter 24/7. This has always bothered me to a point that I didn't carry my 1911 (which I shoot better than any other gun in my collection) for this very reason.

And it didn't even discharge once!
    :rockwoot:

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    congrats! I had the same issue a long time ago. I finally just did it and havent looked back since. I do catch myself making sure the safety is still on from time to time though.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Congrats! Nice that you had the balls to overcome the fear and try it at least! It's paid off! Congrats again

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Been a long time coming but I finally fought off one of my biggest fears and carried my Kimber "cocked and locked" for an entire day. Not a big deal to most, but to me this was an enormous step in getting comfortable carrying my favorite shooter 24/7. This has always bothered me to a point that I didn't carry my 1911 (which I shoot better than any other gun in my collection) for this very reason.

And it didn't even discharge once!
    :rockwoot:

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

How about those crazy buggers that carry loaded with NO SAFETY??? :):

You must mean us Glock guys or similar guns.... Yep, just keep booger pick of off bang switch and you're good to go.

I had this same issue, but maybe not to your extent. For some reason I was just not comfortable carrying a hammer fired weapon with a safety with the hammer not fully forward. Seems odd since my usual carry is a striker fired weapon with no safety (and I carry appendix with 1 in the pipe). I don't know what it was that really made me uncomfortable, but eventually I realized exactly what Snafu21 said and what I've practiced all along. If I don't pull the trigger, I won't get shot. Mine was more of just thinking it through, but I'm glad to hear to beat that fear!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I had this same issue, but maybe not to your extent. For some reason I was just not comfortable carrying a hammer fired weapon with a safety with the hammer not fully forward. Seems odd since my usual carry is a striker fired weapon with no safety (and I carry appendix with 1 in the pipe). I don't know what it was that really made me uncomfortable, but eventually I realized exactly what Snafu21 said and what I've practiced all along. If I don't pull the trigger, I won't get shot. Mine was more of just thinking it through, but I'm glad to hear to beat that fear!

Most modern hammer fired guns have a hammer block or firing pin block in addition to the manual safety. Keeping the firing pin from moving forward unless the trigger is pulled..

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Most modern hammer fired guns have a hammer block or firing pin block in addition to the manual safety. Keeping the firing pin from moving forward unless the trigger is pulled..

Absolutely. Even knowing that, it was just a weird comfort issue? It never stopped me from carrying, but it just always seemed to be on my mind. Whereas when I'm carrying my normal EDCs I don't even think about them.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Absolutely. Even knowing that, it was just a weird comfort issue? It never stopped me from carrying, but it just always seemed to be on my mind. Whereas when I'm carrying my normal EDCs I don't even think about them.

I feel hard primer issues are a greater risk.. So I don't care for non hammer fired guns..
    For "normal" day carry a cocked & locked modern 1911 carried in a holster is no more risk than any other modern gun.
    I don't carry a 1911 when i am out playing in the mud.. but that is just because mine has very tight tolerances and does not like to get dirty..

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Congrats! I was in the same boat at first with my 1911 as well. Then I realized I was pretty much carrying in the same condition that my Glock is in, I just couldnt see the "hammer" to freak me out . Once I had that epiphany, It was game on!.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    This is the reason I didn't buy any of the Norinco 1911s for under $300 years ago :(, couldn't handle the thought of carrying cocked and locked (I was mainly a revolver guy back then). I had always wanted a 1911, and had heard great things about the Norinco, and it was very attractively priced, just never got one. I've always been a Ruger fan, and when they came out with their 1911, I HAD to have one! It's not my EDC, but I do carry it, the way it was intended to be carried, and have no problems with the concept now.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I'm ignorant to 1911's never owned or fired one. You have to pull the hammer back in order to fire a 1911?

edit* so it looks like you can carry in condition 2 but its not advised because of the unsafe way in which the hammer is released.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm ignorant to 1911's never owned or fired one. You have to pull the hammer back in order to fire a 1911?

My comment was in jest because I think there are some 1911ish takeoffs that are SA/DA but since that isnt a true JMB design its considered blasphemy to the pureists.

1911s are SA only. And do yourself a favor. NEVER shoot one. They are an illness you will never be able to get away from. :):

Top Bottom