Finally found a saiga 5.45. Now a question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Ok. I've finally located a Saiga 5.45 new. The only issue is it has a barrel threaded for 14x1 LH threads (AK47 threads).

I’ve got this part right here: https://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16352&cat=290&page=1

Will I be able to attach this to the Saiga with the AK threads? I’m thinking the part in the link above will just go right over the threads of the Saiga and then I’ll be able to attach my AK74 zig zag brake, which is 24x1.5mm RH threads.

If the above won’t work, will I be able to use something like this: https://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16256&cat=272&page=1

If the adapter will attach to the Saiga and then allow me to use my ak74 brake im assuming I will lose the bayonet lug and the ability to have a cleaning rod attached to the rifle (which i really wanted).

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    +1 ^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said.

Now, if your saiga 5.45 really does have 14mm threads, you can buy an adapter to go to the 24mm threads.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I hadn't ever heard of a 5.45 with factory threads. My 7.62 was an 2009 model that happened to have the military barrel which is threaded from the factory. Either someone is pulling one over on you, or you are the luckiest SOB I've seen!

As to your question...it looks like the answer is YES. The first link adapter will require you cut off the current FSB (front sight block) and shroud, then press fit on the new one. You will then have to drill and pin the new FSB on. You can then put on any muzzle device you want in those more common threads. I believe this is how the standard 5.45 AKs do it.

If you already do have 14mm threads and you have no other reason to mess with the front end, get the adapter and use your current muzzle device. Be aware that you may have to drill your current FSB to install an index pin to clock the muzzle device correctly, if required.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    thanks for the responses. yes i should have explained better but it is a new Saiga that has been threaded by Cadiz in Ohio.

I see. In that case, I'd install the 14mm to 24mm adapter, thread on your muzzle brake, and call it good. Or just get one of the 14mm AK-74 style comps out there and thread it directly onto your barrel.

Top Bottom