Finally got a new front sight for my Sub2k!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    And I'm SO EXCITED! The gun performs beautifully, looks cool as hell, and sounds even cooler when fired....and now after owning it for three years I'll finally get to aim properly! I got the sight from red lion precision when I noticed they were back in stock last week. They had been out of stock for ages and I was starting to worry they'd never re-appear.

(For those who don't know, the Kel-Tec Sub2k is a great little gun...but only when the front sight is replaced, as the stock front sight is just trash.)

Now comes the hard part: Can anyone here recommend a good gunsmith in or around Madison County? Basically anywhere within reach of I-69 from 465 up to muncie is where I'm willing to travel. This will be the first time I'll require the services of a gunsmith, and I simply don't know any. I'm hoping it won't cost too much as it's a simple job, but I can't do it as I lack a proper workspace (and more importantly the experience.)

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I say go ahead and take a shot at mounting up the new front sight yourself. I got one of the same Red Lion front sights two weeks ago and mounted it up myself on my kitchen table. Not hard to do at all with simple, basic tools.

Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Not a chance in hell, buddy. I've never tried to fix something without instantly destroying it. Anyone know a good gunsmith?

Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Edit: I'm an idiot.

-Dobber

Yeah, what a jerk I am for wanting to do something right instead of ruining things that I paid for with hard earned money. I'm sure it would be much better to buy a bunch of tools I can't afford and have no place to put them rather than pay a professional much less to do the job right the first time.

I guess instead of spending my entire life in pro audio and music, I should have gotten some crummy job in construction or machining (and using said tools) so I could be a really cool guy like you.

If you have nothing positive to add to the thread, why say anything at all? :dunno:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I looked at the sight. It's a pretty straightforward job for any local gun store. If you run into trouble finding one, send me a pm. I'm a gunsmith but on the south side of town.

Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I looked at the sight. It's a pretty straightforward job for any local gun store. If you run into trouble finding one, send me a pm. I'm a gunsmith but on the south side of town.

Greenwood is a little bit far but I will definitely hit you up if I can't find anyone closer. I moved here pretty recently, so I simply don't know anyone around here.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Yeah, what a jerk I am for wanting to do something right instead of ruining things that I paid for with hard earned money. I'm sure it would be much better to buy a bunch of tools I can't afford and have no place to put them rather than pay a professional much less to do the job right the first time.

I guess instead of spending my entire life in pro audio and music, I should have gotten some crummy job in construction or machining (and using said tools) so I could be a really cool guy like you.

If you have nothing positive to add to the thread, why say anything at all? :dunno:

You're really off base and this is moderately offensive considering you have no idea what was originally in my message. I failed to read and comprehend your original post in its entirety: thus my message didn't apply to the core question of your post which is why I edited it and referred to myself as an idiot. My apologies for making you feel inferior when demeaning myself. FWIW: My original message was simply the "Worthless without pics" emoticon...which of course was inapplicable because you don't have the front sight on yet. Derp.

-Dobber

Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    You're really off base and this is moderately offensive considering you have no idea what was originally in my message. I failed to read and comprehend your original post in its entirety: thus my message didn't apply to the core question of your post which is why I edited it and referred to myself as an idiot. My apologies for making you feel inferior when demeaning myself. FWIW: My original message was simply the "Worthless without pics" emoticon...which of course was inapplicable because you don't have the front sight on yet. Derp.

-Dobber

All I saw in that post is that you called me an idiot. Whatever.

UPDATE: Thanks for getting back to me. Didn't realize that your post had actually said anything else prior to that. When i make an edit to a post, I usually leave the original text. (unless I'm fixing an obvious typo.) I thought you were criticizing my inability to modify the weapon myself. I'm usually very much on the defensive on forums, which can lead to some dumb posts. But most of the forums I post on are pro-audio related and people who post on those are 1000 times more high-strung and hostile. I have to say, INGO is a very laid back forum, so I need to get into that mindset when posting here. My bad. :n00b:

But yeah, the thing came in the mail the other day, and I'm going to find someone this week to install it. Very excited. I have a ton of rounds for it that I've been collecting for the last year or so, they need to get FIRED!

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I'm planning on getting one for mine. That is assuming Kel-Tec fixes it from when the receiver cracked and the thing broke in two.

Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I'm planning on getting one for mine. That is assuming Kel-Tec fixes it from when the receiver cracked and the thing broke in two.

That's pretty crazy. I was just reading a thread at KTOG about that. Question: Were you using the heavier 180gr rounds? (assuming you have a .40S&W model, which seems to be the only one with that rare problem)

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Yeah, I have a .40. It was pretty bizarre how it happened. I was using 165 grain Winchester JHP's.

Top Bottom