• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's an experience, that's for sure. Is this the initial summons or have you been chosen to sit?

Been called twice, served once. Pedophile case. Not nearly as unpalatable as I thought it would be, but the smug countenance of the defendant was turning my stomach. Ironically, I thought the state did a poor job of proving one of the key requirements necessary to return a guilty plea. In fact, they didn't "prove" it at all. Simply operated on the assumption that because B followed A, A's purpose was necessarily and solely to achieve B. In reality, I know it probably was. But legally, they didn't prove it at all. Kinda made me mad that they were so cavalier with that little detail.

The other one I didn't get to sit for was a firearms charge, murder, and attempted murder. That one would have been interesting from all sorts of angles.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I finally got a summons for Hendricks County. I sat on a jury for Marion Co. a while back, and got a summons letter a couple of times. Nice break for the boring office routine, I guess.

I'm friends with one of our prosecuting attorneys, so I may get excused if I even get called up.

Serving on a jury is an eye-opener. There is no way most prospective jurors are my "peers"!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A few weeks ago, I was summonsed to Federal Court in Indy...

Then, while we were on vacation, I rec'd a letter saying that they had plenty of jurors in the prospective pool and that I needn't bother calling the call-in line on Thursday evening to see if I've been selected to come in.

Oh well... :)

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I probably will never get one of those. The state apparently thinks that people in my line of work are incapable of being fair and unbiased when it comes to evidence being presented. I did get a form once that I had to fill out for jury selection. Have never heard back from them since.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A long time ago, while in college I got summoned to a jury selection. But I was 3 hours from home in college so I got off the hook. I wasn't trying to get out of my duty, it just wasn't practical for me to take part. Haven't received another one since then.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I get them often. I think once you show up and they seat a jury, (I was not a choosen one) you are off the hook for a few years.

It is not all that cool being on a jury. I was on a molestion case once and would not look forward to that again. After 3 days the guy accepted a plea to a much less serious charge. Three days of my life i can't get back.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I would like to serve. I have been registered to vote since I was 17 years old and have never gotten a Jury questionnaire. Add to that the past few years of using the BMV and still nothing....oh well, maybe for the best. I do believe the saying...voting is a privilege, serving on a jury is your duty.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    40 years old and never once got the initial letter saying I need to respond. Remember if you do get to sit on a jury and you disagree with the law in question you do not have to find them guilty just because they broke the law. We all agree some laws are stupid and if you get a chance to vote against one, do it

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Ive never received one and I dont plan to be selected if i ever do. Once selected I doubt ill be sent another one:D

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    And if you do not wish to serve on a jury for whatever reason, you can just throw it away. If you did not sign for it they have no idea if you even recieved it. They send out hundreds at a time.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It's an experience, that's for sure. Is this the initial summons or have you been chosen to sit?

Been called twice, served once. Pedophile case. Not nearly as unpalatable as I thought it would be, but the smug countenance of the defendant was turning my stomach. Ironically, I thought the state did a poor job of proving one of the key requirements necessary to return a guilty plea. In fact, they didn't "prove" it at all. Simply operated on the assumption that because B followed A, A's purpose was necessarily and solely to achieve B. In reality, I know it probably was. But legally, they didn't prove it at all. Kinda made me mad that they were so cavalier with that little detail.

The other one I didn't get to sit for was a firearms charge, murder, and attempted murder. That one would have been interesting from all sorts of angles.

So, how did you vote?

Top Bottom