• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    After thinking about this last night, I'm sure he said at one point years ago that he didn't know what kind of rounds the Jap rifle took. But he's pretty knowledgeable about guns, so he probably figured it out shortly after that, along with everything else about the gun.

I know this is a long gun area in the forum, but thought I'd also show you guys the Colt .45 revolver that my Step Grandpa pulled off a dead soldier. And I know for a fact that with this gun, he wanted my dad to have it because his own kids would sell the gun. I was there for this transaction. But couldn't remember where dad got the rifle from.

Colt .45 - a set on Flickr

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Photos uploaded to flickr. Type 99 - a set on Flickr

And the pistol info:

The pistol is a Colt 45 revolver. It takes the 45acp rounds. I do not want to shoot that one. It has the half moon clip for easier loading. Bud took this one off a dead Jap in the islands. Got the paper works for it when he was cleared to bring it back. Plus the holster was made from a briefcase from a Jap. It could be shot,but just do not want to. The pistol is from WW1 Calvary. He always wonder why this Jap had it on him."

When the japanese surrendered in the Phillipines there were many handguns from the US in the mix of turned in weapons. The Japanese did not get into manufacturing their own guns until late in the 19th century so there were alot of American made firearms in the mix. I know there were Smith and Wesson break top .44 russians, various Colt's and other Smiths. I did not think that they would have had a .45 acp moon clip weapon (that they purchased) as those came out at the start of wwI. Perhaps the Imperial Army bought some surplus after the war or perhaps the Japanese picked this gun up after the taking of the Phillipines. I would check for a
    "Property of US" marking on the revolver (it should be on the butt by the lanyard ring). If that is there it would tell me that the weapon was procured after the surrender of the US forces in the Phillipines in 1942. Many personel there would have carried one of those.

The "capture papers" with the field made holster should add about $500 value to the gun (for insurance purposes). If I were you I would take it out and shoot just once.

I would also post this on Gunboards.com in the japanese section there. The group Banzai that is on there would love to know about this weapon. They keep a data base of Japanese weapons and I think this gun would be something they would want to know about due to its unique story and history. The capture papers take it to a whole other level and verify the story.

I am a wee bit envious.

I have a Walther PPK dated 1934 with the 90 degree safety, extra magazine, and commercial holster. A neat commercial Walther worth about $1000 (there are no waffenstamps indicating military use.) But....There are capture papers showing the gun was surrendered to Allen C. Young in August of 1945. That takes the weapon to a whole other area value wise and historically. There are very few 60 year old weapons that we can link to a person and that adds substantial value to historians and collectors.

If you are ever in the Louisville area please bring it by the shop. I would love to see it.

Indiucky

Last edited:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    it was by order of the Japanese Emperor at the time, to avoid disgrace to the empire of japan. The mum was their symbol, so any soldier in danger of being captured was to remove the seal, and then probably fall on his sword.

Actually, the "mum" was/is the personal symbol of the Emperor. Its presence on Imperial Japanese weapons indicated that they were, in essence, the property of the Emperor.

After their defeat by the Allied Forces, the Japanese were allowed to grind-off the Emperor's mark on all weapons which were being surrendered. This was a compromise of convenience made by Allied Command in order to expedite the process of ensuring that the Japanese soldiers and government would give up their arms more readily and with less resistance if they were allowed a way to prevent their Emperor from "losing face" by their surrendering "his" property. Defacing or removing his personal symbol from these weapons met that end, and was allowed to be done prior to their being turned over to the Allies.

Many thousands of those surrendered arms which were not claimed as "war trophies/souveniers" by Allied troops were destroyed or dumped by the barge load into the sea all over Asia and the Pacific Theater during 1945-46.

Having the Imperial sigil still intact is generally accepted as being proof that that weapon was most likely to have been taken, one way or another, in an actual combat zone rather than being turned in after the surrender.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Weird just went looking for 7.7 Jap ammo off the web and it seems to be out of stock everywhere. And when it was in stock everybody was asking $29 a box for 20 rounds. This guy here on gunbroker is asking $20 and the more you buy the cheaper the shipping is;

7.7 Jap 7.7X58 Arisaka ammo New reloadable SPBT : Rifle Ammunition at GunBroker.com

Don't be afraid to shoot it either, the Arisaka was one of the strongest actions ever built.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I am almost certain I have seen the boxes of Privi 7.7 and 6.5 at the Indy 1500. (I have a Type 44 so I check from time to time.)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have an Arisaka 99 that's all matching and complete with intact "mum", bolt cover, aircraft sights, and monopod.

What would something like this be worth?

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    The Chrysanthemum was ground off so as not to dishonor the Japanese Emperor. If you happen to have a rifle with the Chrysanthemum still intact it is worth considerably more.

I would recommend having a knowledgable smith go over it thoroughly to determine operability as it is a fine rifle to fire.

soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    "I have an Arisaka 99 that's all matching and complete with intact "mum", bolt cover, aircraft sights, and monopod. What would something like this be worth?"

In todays market that 99 would be worth more like $700-$900 depending on the series and condition. The monopod alone is a $200+ item and is hard to find. With this rifle being matching, mum and dust cover you have a real gem. The only item you have not listed is a original sling. A orginal ruberized sling or quick detach sling is worth $2-300 or more and are very hard to come by.

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    Pretty sure I have a Arisaka 99 without the sling, aircraft sights and a type 30 bayonet with the hooked handguard and sheath. The chrysanthemum is still intact and I cannot find any numbers on it. The only think is that it had been made inoperable and the bolt has been removed. The finish on the rifle is not great--a bit rusty.

Wondering what something like this might be worth. How much is the value decreased by the finish being bad and the bolt being removed?

Thanks for looking.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I just got back from the OGCA show. I saw several t99's with prices all over. People can ask what ever they want but I don't think they are getting it. I saw a T99 with mum, aircraft sight, dust cover and monopod for $380 and another for $400. Neither getting much intrest. I saw a few more with higher asking prices. I thought about the one for $380 but it was an individual walking it around and Im not an Ohio resident.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Top Bottom