• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    My days are completely crazy busy with work from 04:45 until about 17:00. I have a minimal amount of time to exercise after work. I find it hard to WANT to work out, or do much of anything other than try to relax for the 4 hrs I get to spend with my kids before bed.

I want to be more fit for all the reasons you could think of. I guess I just don't want it bad enough to work for it. I even have a brand new copy of Insanity sitting here that I've not really even used. I feel a responsibility/ obligation towards being physically fit. I just can't find the motivation to get there.

I'm not some 300lb slob or anything, but I don't have the physique or conditioning I feel I should have. On top of that I know my diet should be better. I can't leave well enough alone when good food presents itself. :):

What motivates you?

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I am struggling like you. Right now I can't get myself to get on my bike. (Used to ride 4,000-5,000 miles a year.) 12-14 hrs away from home for work drains me and I don't have kids at home any more. Some day my will should overcome my mind and I will get back at it. Need a exercise partner, just no one around keeps my hours. Maybe you can find someone to help with motivation and accountability.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    It is hard to do no doubt I am in the same boat leave at 0400 for work sometimes earlier get off anywhere from 1500 -1800 class 2 nights a week until 10 hour drive home after that. bla bla bla I just have to force myself to go to the gym at the beginning of the week. But towards the end of the week I am wanting to go. I maxde it 4 times this week would have made it 5 but the wife thought she had an issue with her Jeep yesterday and I came straight home. I was actually looking forward to going all day and disappointed when I couldn't. I don't usually go on the weekends I just have too much to do around here on the weekends. Come Tuesday it will be a chore to get motivated to get back in there. I really believe it would be easier if a person had a partner to work out with and hold each other accountable. Maybe try one of those on line workout accountability apps or something?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That's what's tough about it. In concept, it is simple; exercise and eat right and you will get/stay in shape. Execution is the hard part.

I went from Ironman triathlete to couch/cubicle potato in less than a year.

Now, I too am trying to find a way to fit fitness back into my life.

What is motivating me to start back up? Feeling so crappy, tired and weak. I have been so dedicated to my job wanting to help out a struggling company and make sure it does not fail by my lack of trying. But when they are furloughing us and still expect us to work without being paid, how loyal should I be? Should I be so dedicated that I don't exercise because I am going to work early and staying late leaving enough time to eat dinner and prepare for the next day?

I am beginning to think maybe not...

I could get a early am workout in and still get into work at the same time or shortly before everyone else.

Last edited:

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    Gents,
    I to can agree to everything that has been said. On the flip side, I choose to get up 30-minutes early, yes 3:45 AM, and proceed to the basement for my workout. I am not going to say this is easy, but once you pass the 4-week mark, you will actually want this. If you miss a day, you will feel like it is back to square one. SO if you are disciplined enough to dry fire practice every day, then you are more than ready to take on the challenge of keeping fit. I can attest to the fact that once you getting going, you will feel much better. I also find that doing my workout prior to going to work makes me a better person.
    I can feel what mudcat speaks about leaving at 4am and classes at night, and then the drive home. But gents, we are MEN are we not? And MEN can do this! SO do not let excuses get in the way. Get out and get busy!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What motivates you?

I also often struggle to find the motivation to do things that are inconvenient or uncomfortable. Exercise is both of those things for me.

I realized at some point that the thing I wasn't motivated to do (exercise) was too big of a task and it was therefore easy to brush it off. So I decided to work on my motivation on a smaller scale and then work up from there.

I work in a 3 story building with an elevator, and I'm regularly bouncing back and forth between all 3 floors. So on January 1st of 2012 I decided that I'd no longer make use of the elevator, instead taking the stairs. Not only does this mean walking up and down stairs, but it also means walking to the ends of the hallway to get to the stairs, opposed to simply taking the elevator in the middle of the building. It was a small step that I could more easily integrate into my regular routine. It's only slightly less convenient and sightly less comfortable. And I didn't lose 50lbs or get ripped abs because of it, but it has helped me reset my mindset when it comes to getting motivated. If I've not ridden the elevator in the last couple years, what else could I do?

Another example has to do with my previously bad habit of picking at my fingernails and the cuticles around them. This left my fingernails in a constant state of soreness-- and they looked bad! January 1st of this year I decided that I had the willpower (however minor) to stop picking at my nails. The first 30 days were the toughest. I had to constantly remind myself to stop immediately when I caught myself picking at them. After 30 days they had healed up nicely and I didn't have the subconscious urge to pick at them anymore. And now here we are at the end of August and my nails are so healthy and strong that they grow like crazy and I have to trim them every week.

With those small steps being taken I've also been working toward better health by changing my diet. I've been educating myself on health and nutrition, and I've been "listening" to my body. In 2012 I went dairy free due to some digestive issues and have had fantastic results. Now I'm eating better by making healthier choices, one meal at a time.

In October I'll turn 30-years-old. Looking back at the past 2 years I can see many positive changes. I'm still not exercising regularly, but I'm getting to the point that it doesn't seem like such a big task anymore. If I can motivate myself to these smaller challenges, then I see no reason it can't snowball into something bigger.

Good luck in your journey. :yesway:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Start small and build up. Every once in a while you'll notice that the task has become easier and you can go a little bit longer/faster/harder/etc. At that point, increase. At some point you'll enjoy the progress you've made so much that you will not like missing a session. It will become more of a staple and necessity to make sure you get it in because you don't want to fall back in your progress.

I was up and running at 5am this morning. Did I WANT to be? Of course not in the usual sense. Staying fit or getting fit isn't easy and we don't really enjoy things that aren't easy. I still did it because yesterday I noticed the soreness i've had previously and the distance/speed was relatively easy even though it hadn't changed for a few days. So, I knew I had gotten better and didn't want to miss today. I wanted to improve more and if I skipped a day after noticing improvement then I will lose that improvement and start back at square one. Then this morning I increased my distance by 50-75% roughly, even though I wasn't really pushing myself. It was just that much easier. Those times when I notice an improvement either in performance or other ways of conditioning thoughout my day are what keep me motivated to want to progress.

A couple other things that help me, because like many here I struggle to find time and motivation, is finding more fun things to do. Personally, I like hiking with a pack at a brisk pace. Also working out in groups can be fun if you make it so. Organize little relays or friendly competitions. Even running is more bearable when with another because it can be motivating to either keep up with them, to lead them, or to simply talk and keep your mind off the boring task of running while you're doing it.

Also, pictures of attractive women help sometimes... :):

Top Bottom