• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Broke out the new sig today and found out it seems to be finicky with ammo. I certainly got it broke in well, but the Winchester 555 packs seem to be underpowered and had a lot of issues. Anyone else have a picky Mosquito? What's your ammo choices?

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Did you find any rounds that did work good?

I picked up an ISSC M22 (Glock look a like) this weekend.
    It's not nearly as forgiveing with ammo as my Buckmark or S&W 22 target pistols I shoot.
    The M22 was really picky about what ammo it would feed & or eject, but ran pretty good on Remington or CCI 40 grain jacketed high velocity ammo.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have had the same issues. I ended up feeding my mosquito only CCI Mini-Mags, which reduced my failure to feed/failure to extract issues to about 1 in 10 shots. That was still not good enough for me, so I sold it and bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. It eats anything I feed it.

I have heard other Mosquito owners complain about this same thing. Mine came with 2 mainsprings. Try installing the other spring, and switching up your ammo...that seems to be the generally accepted solution. You may find, like I did, that the performance is still not reliable enough for your needs...still, it's a blast to shoot.

I hope this helps,

-Paul

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have had the same issues. I ended up feeding my mosquito only CCI Mini-Mags, which reduced my failure to feed/failure to extract issues to about 1 in 10 shots. That was still not good enough for me, so I sold it and bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. It eats anything I feed it.

I have heard other Mosquito owners complain about this same thing. Mine came with 2 mainsprings. Try installing the other spring, and switching up your ammo...that seems to be the generally accepted solution. You may find, like I did, that the performance is still not reliable enough for your needs...still, it's a blast to shoot.

I hope this helps,

-Paul

This. Mine ran Mini Mags the best, but still couldn't get through two consecutive mags without some kind of issue. After messing with it for 6 months I sold it to a buddy who thought he could fix it, when he couldn't he sold it.

There's a reason why Ruger MK's and Browning Buckmarks have been popular for so long.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My friends mosquito is very picky. He said the only ammo that ran flawless was CCI mini mags. He even said the paperwork said something like "this pistol was test fired using CCI ammo". He had some luck with other brands but CCI worked best. Oh and he said that hollow points wouldnt feed for crap.

I was just talking to a guy at the range this weekend who said the exact same thing.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I run CCI Mini-Mags and Blazer in my mosquito. Never had a problem. Heck I haven't even cleaned the gun after the last 4 outings. But it won't even cycle Federal bulk pack.

OP. Buy a good high velocity 40 grain solid and the gun should run.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well, today at the range another guy let me try some CCI's, but they were loose and I'm not sure what kind. He only had a couple of those but they worked with no problem. I also shot through his Federal bulk pack and those operated with FAR less issues than the Winchester stuff I bought. Tonight I picked up some CCI mini mags, Remington high velocity thunderbolts (which are 40gr), and a box of the federal bulk pack. I'll try them all out next weekend hopefully and see how they each perform. I love Sigs and really never had any problems with them, so when I bought this one new last week I expected nothing less. I had not previously heard of these feeding issues, otherwise I probably would have more closely considered the p22. Anyhow, I'll give these other ammo's a try next weekend. Hopefully I can find something it likes. I'm not a huge .22 fan, but because of the cheap ammo I bought it to help coach student shooters and allow my wife more trigger time without breaking the bank. We'll see.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The one Mosquito I've shot was picky on ammo too. It was fairly new, but it hated Winchester ammo (which had the same velocity as the CCI mini mags), and it cycled Federals okay. But the only ammo I tried that was 100% was CCI mini mags and yes, in the owner's manual it states that the pistol can be picky, but has been test fired using CCI mini mags.

I'd think if you get a couple thousand rounds through it and get it nice and broken in it'll be less picky, or at least I'd hope.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yeah, I've got a box of the CCI's and the Federals now for next weekend. I put approximately 400 rounds through it today. So it should be relatively broken in, but that's why I bought. To put a lot of rounds down range without having to worry about cost.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I put roughly 1500 rounds through the mosquito i had. It ran decent on federal bulk ammoand perfect on cci mini mags. Check sigforums.com for some tips on a couple of solutions. I polished the feed ramp and used non hollow point ammo. Those two things seemed to work well.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I put roughly 1500 rounds through the mosquito i had. It ran decent on federal bulk ammoand perfect on cci mini mags. Check sigforums.com for some tips on a couple of solutions. I polished the feed ramp and used non hollow point ammo. Those two things seemed to work well.
    I thought about polishing the feed ramps too, but another advised not to but I don't remember his reasoning at the moment

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Wouldn't polishing the feed ramps yourself void the warranty if you do it yourself?

I'm not familiar with their specific warrantying process, it could be if you do it yourself or it could be if you do it at all. If it was yourself, they would have to be able to mechanically prove that you did it yourself rather than hire a professional and with my background that wouldn't be easy for them to do. Regardless, I don't often care much about warranties because I typically fix things myself. A friend of mine who I've worked with in my previous roles owns a couple of machine shops and allows me to use his equipment when I need. Seeing as how they would have to prove you did the polishing yourself though, I would guess their warranty policy is ANYTHING done to it that is NOT performed by Sig is unacceptable. :dunno:

bigsteve

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I have one that I polished the feed ramp, use a good grease, and cci mini mags and it runs great. Federal bulk pack i will have a hang up 1 in 75 to 100 rounds so not to bad.I found that using oil it gets gummed up more and needs to be cleaned after a hundred rounds or so. With grease it seems I can run a brick of federal before cleaning it. I wasn't happy at first, but after doing this it seems to run great.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm sad to hear this because I was looking at getting a Mosquito... Is this common or the exception?
    You know, I love Sigs. Never had a problem with any Sig, but it seems to be common with this model. It's just an ammo picky thing. When it works properly, it shoots and feels GREAT. It's not so much of a feeding issue for mine but rather some light striking. I did find out too that simply re-cocking the hammer and pulling the slide back just enough to double check there's a live round inside most of the time made the round fire on the second shot. This of course is also a descent "training" opportunity which allows you to practice a lot of failure drills if you choose to treat it as such.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm sad to hear this because I was looking at getting a Mosquito... Is this common or the exception?

I've heard these problems are true for many .22lr handguns. I bought a ruger sr22 and have had minimal issues with it. I shot 200 rounds through it over the weekend and had 3 failures to feed out of 200.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I owned a Sig Mosquito a couple years ago for about 4 months. It would only semi-reliably shoot CCI mini-mags and it would shoot most other "high velocity" .22LR with some success.

I tried shooting standard bulk pack grade ammo in it and it couldn't shoot a string of 5 rounds without failure.

I sold it.

Top Bottom