• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I just found an old CVA Knife kit that I had bought years ago before moving. It looks like a good project for an old guy.

What king of finish works best for ease and durability for walnut? I thought of varnish, epoxy, soaking in linseed oil and ran out of ideas at that point.

Is there any kind of finish to put on the brass pommel etc to prevent tarnishing?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I highly recommend Forby's Tung oil. You can get it in low or high gloss. Pretty tough stuff. You can pick it up at your local Lowe's. It comes in a green can with a red top. Has a picture of a gentleman on the front sporting glasses. It's a pretty tough finish. Just be sure to let it dry. It stays soft for a while before it takes on an almost laquer finish.

As far as the brass goes...I have heard of putting a spray clear on it after polishing. I personally haven't tried it, but could be a way to go. Good luck!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    is the piece you have stablized? that will be a huge factor in how successful you will be.

for working with brass i would contact someone like Jade at Starling Gear. guy is super nice, smart, and works with brass every day. he will have a trick or three for you.......

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    The wood is just a chunk of walnut slightly oversize. I'll do a search on how to stabilize.

Can't find a listing or reference to Starling Gear on the search.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    tru oil, hand rubbed and looks great

:+1:Tru oil is one of the best finishes I have found for walnut. I have used it on a few knife handles and gun stocks. It worked great, and is very durable. Walnut, well dried, is typically a very stable wood. I have never found a need to stabilize it any further. Your scales have been lying around long enough it has moved as much as it is going to. Give it a good coat of tru oil and it will be fine.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    :+1:Tru oil is one of the best finishes I have found for walnut. I have used it on a few knife handles and gun stocks. It worked great, and is very durable. Walnut, well dried, is typically a very stable wood. I have never found a need to stabilize it any further. Your scales have been lying around long enough it has moved as much as it is going to. Give it a good coat of tru oil and it will be fine.

stablization not only helps it to not shrink, it fills in gaps and holes in the blanks. very important.

Top Bottom