• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    So as soon as my new Chief signs off on it, I can get blue lights. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have a ford taurus, so I want dash lights, or maybe a light bar at the top of the glass, maybe behind the rear view mirror, or one that attaches to the visor.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Whelen is by far the best. Second best us code3. I've installed tons. 911 ep makes the most fun though they have issues with water. Any questions you have pm me.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I have a set of blue LED driving lights mounted on the top of my wimdow hooked up to a spare wigwag that works pretty well. Plenty bright and a lot cheaper. Also Federal 4 corner strobes and a blue flash box mounted on the back deck.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Sirennet has the best prices on the best lights.

The lights in the video you can reproduce by purchasing:

Grill - 4 Whelen lin3's You'll want all linear LED's as the off axis lighting is better. Notice when the camera moves slightly to the left the grill lights are no longer bright but the "mirror" light stays bright at any angle. The Mirror has linear LEDs.

http://www.sirennet.com/whrs-02zcr.html

Dash Light - Get a Whelen Slimlighter genIII super bright.
    http://www.sirennet.com/whelslimmver.html

Rear Deck - Sound off arrow stick
    http://www.sirennet.com/soel3d08a00.html

The video shows mostly off brand crap lights, the rear deck is a copy of code 3's LEDx's. My history with off brand lights such as axxistech or speed tech lights is that they last about a year before crapping out. Thin wires, poor materials, bad soldering, horrible waterproofing all combine to make a sub par product.

Here is a place you can buy some if you want but again "buyer beware"
    http://www.extremetacticaldynamics.com/

_____

Now if it were me, I'd buy this

4 corner led's (requires you to drill a hole in your light housing) 2 for the front corners and 2 for the reverse lights.

http://www.sirennet.com/whvtx609.html

2 whelen linear 3s for the grill

http://www.sirennet.com/whrs-02zcr.html

the slim lighter for the front dash listed above and maybe a rear deck if need be.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Does Indiana have a requirement for a fixed type of light on top of the vehicle?
    Not that I am aware of. Most of the members where I am at all have inside mounted lighting.

There is a law about a max of 4 blue light assemblies total on the vehicle, but honestly its not a priority.. at least not in Howard County.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Does Indiana have a requirement for a fixed type of light on top of the vehicle?
    Blue Light Law
    IC 36-8-12-11
    Blue lights on private vehicles; authorization; violations
    Sec. 11.
    (a) Members of volunteer fire departments may display blue lights on their privately owned vehicles while en route to scenes of emergencies or to the fire station in the line of duty subject to the following conditions:
    (1) A light must have a light source of at least thirty-five (35) watts.
    (2) All lights must be placed on the:
    (A) top of the vehicle;
    (B) dashboard inside a vehicle, shielded to prevent distracting the driver; or
    (C) front of the vehicle upon the bumper or at bumper level.
    (3) No more than four (4) blue light assemblies may be displayed on one (1) vehicle, and each blue light assembly must be of the flashing or revolving type.
    (4) A blue light assembly may contain multiple bulbs.
    (5) A blue light may not be a part of the regular head lamps displayed on the vehicles. Alternately flashing head lamps may be used as a supplemental warning device. Strobe lights or flashers may be installed into the light fixtures on the vehicle other than the alternating head lamps. The strobe lights or flashers may be either white or blue, with the exception of red to the rear.
    (b) In order for a volunteer firefighter to display a blue light on a vehicle, the volunteer firefighter must secure a written permit from the chief of the volunteer fire department to use the blue light and must carry the permit at all times when the blue light is displayed.
    (c) A person who is not a member of a volunteer fire department may not display an illuminated blue light on a vehicle.
    (d) A permittee of the owner of a vehicle lawfully equipped with a blue light may operate the vehicle only if the blue light is not illuminated.
    (e) A person who violates subsection (a), (b), (c), or (d) commits a Class C infraction. If the violator is a member of a volunteer fire department, the chief of the department shall discipline the violator under fire department rules and regulations.
    (f) This section does not grant a vehicle displaying blue lights the right-of-way under IC 9-21-8-35 or exemption from traffic rules under IC 9-21-1-8. A driver of a vehicle displaying a blue light shall obey all traffic rules.
    (g) This section shall not be construed to include a vehicle displaying a blue light and driven by a member of a volunteer fire department as an authorized emergency vehicle (as defined in IC 9-13-2-6).

I'd say no.

Stay safe

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Posted after I saw the above post

As I recall they have to be visible from 360 degrees
    so not just grill lights and deck lights

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Please don't be like the tool who passed me going 90 and almost rear ended me to go around me. I know the guy, and the moron actually was handing around a non-safety checked glock a couple years ago at a place. Had it not been a church event, he probably would have been reamed, as such, took our son and left.

FYI if that guy comes anywhere near my family in an emergency, he will be asked to leave. I have seen to much irresponsible BS to tolerate him.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Visor Light LED Stealth Commander over the $200 but is nice still need to get rear lights. Also red deck lights are legal to the rear as long there is no blue visible to the rear also. but if your hazards flash red to the read you can not have blue to the rear and run your hazards that are red.
    (5) A blue light may not be a part of the regular head lamps displayed on the vehicles. Alternately flashing head lamps may be used as a supplemental warning device. Strobe lights or flashers may be installed into the light fixtures on the vehicle other than the alternating head lamps. The strobe lights or flashers may be either white or blue, with the exception of red to the rear.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Off topic, but I have nothing but the greatest respect for the 90 percent of the Indiana fire fighters who are volunteers who stand up and make a difference.

My hat is off to all of you.

We are all lucky that men like you are willing to put your lives on the line for all of us.

Regards
    Sloughfoot

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    Speed Tech Lights for best bang for buck. But I've heard mixed reviews about their quality thought. Whelen and Code3 you will be paying a big premium for the names, but they are great lights and probably the largest distributers of emergency vehicle lights in the US.

Sirennet has good stuff too, and they show most of their stuff in videos, so you have an idea of what you're getting.

I'd reccommend anything with gen 3 or gen 4 LED's and prob a TIR lens will be ultra bright!

Don't forget you can have accent lighting as well, IE strobes/wigwags/traffic backers. I got Whelen strobes and whelen wigwags on my ride.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    regarding the visor light, chances are you're mounting it not in a crown vic, dodge charger, ford explorer, or chevy tahoe. The visor lights require sheet metal screws be pushed through the headliner but not so deep as they pop through the roof. There is usually a template for each vehicle showing the mounting points. I wouldn't recommend using a visor light on a vehicle that it wasn't intended for like say a Prius. They are nice though but one draw back is it cuts down on your vision slightly. You'll only notice it when it becomes hard to see stop lights though.

I have an older whelen strobe thing that attaches to your sun shade that you can have if you need something now and willing to drive to indy.

You can also register at elightbars.org and find some good deals in the WTS section.

Top Bottom