• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I was raised around guns, my dad taught and maintained gun safety all through my childhood and adult years and I stressed it to my children and grandchildren as I taught them how to safely handle and shoot firearms. On a cold and windy day i was deer hunting many years ago with my .44 mag and I got chilled to the bone, fingers so cold I had a hard time holding onto the ladder stand to get down and my pistol too so I shoved the pistol "hammer down" into my front pocket and unbeknownst to me, had cocked the hammer. I'm assuming that it was pocket liner material that hit the trigger and had I not had my leg bent surely would have removed my right leg above the knee. I was blessed with a large powder burn down my leg

Was I careless, damn straight I was. A person's mind doesn't always do what it is supposed to. One never knows and it can happen to anyone of us when for just a millisecond we change or alter our awareness.

R.I.P. officer, my condolences to his family

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    A lesson from operating heavy industrial equipment, manufacturing machines, power tools, and military weapons systems:
    It's the one you don't see coming that gets you. Applies to all firearms, big and small. A real tragedy for the family and community.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Have a tourniquet with you and within reach all the time. I don’t know if this man could have saved his own life, but wearing full kit as an officer it seems like there’d be a place to put a tourniquet somewhere. Maybe he tried, I don’t know. Condolences to all involved, that’s a tough one.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I am extremely safety conscious, having grown up around guns. Add to that working in chemical laboratories, and working with bulk petroleum fuels, and military explosives. If I had to guess, I'd say I have safety foremost in my mind more than 99% of other folks. But as mentioned, even the best of us drop our guard on occasion. I know I have. Luckily, I've never had to pay the ultimate price for my slip up. Each and every one of us is only milliseconds away from such an occurrence. Stay vigilant, my friends. Heartfelt condolences to the officer, and all who loved him.

I manage femoral bleeds for a living. It is common knowledge (as such, may be true or not) in the field that a full blown femoral artery bleed will leave the victim unconscious in 90 seconds, and irretrievably dead 90 seconds later. It is physically quite impossible to put a tourniquet on a femoral bleed above the level where the leg meets the groin. Tourniquets have fallen out of favor for stopping most bleeds. Effective? Yes. However, they (as intended) cut off blood flow to the rest of the limb and may do damage. Still, all-in-all, I'd rather lose an arm (or leg) than my life. The proper way to help someone with a femoral bleed is to put pressure, LOTS OF IT, on the compromised blood vessel, about 1" above (closer to the heart) the injury. If the bleed is in the pelvic area, and you can't seem to stop the flow, maintain pressure and move your pressure out toward the pelvic bone. That gives you something more solid to press against. If the victim is conscious, this will be painful. If you ain't hurting him, you ain't helping him.

PS: You don't have to be built like an NFL linebacker to stop a femoral bleed. One of the ladies I work with is 5-feet-nothing and with her hair wet may weigh 100#. She does it every day.

PPS: I carry a medical grade "STOP THE BLEED" kit in my car. Cheap ones run about $30. Fully equipped ones can be had for less than $100. Get one. Better yet, get qualified with one. Maybe in conjunction with your CPR class. Which EVERYONE should have. They should teach this stuff in high-school.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Prayers for the family and friends. This is a sad reminder that we can never be complacent.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I am extremely safety conscious, having grown up around guns. Add to that working in chemical laboratories, and working with bulk petroleum fuels, and military explosives. If I had to guess, I'd say I have safety foremost in my mind more than 99% of other folks. But as mentioned, even the best of us drop our guard on occasion. I know I have. Luckily, I've never had to pay the ultimate price for my slip up. Each and every one of us is only milliseconds away from such an occurrence. Stay vigilant, my friends. Heartfelt condolences to the officer, and all who loved him.

I manage femoral bleeds for a living. It is common knowledge (as such, may be true or not) in the field that a full blown femoral artery bleed will leave the victim unconscious in 90 seconds, and irretrievably dead 90 seconds later. It is physically quite impossible to put a tourniquet on a femoral bleed above the level where the leg meets the groin. Tourniquets have fallen out of favor for stopping most bleeds. Effective? Yes. However, they (as intended) cut off blood flow to the rest of the limb and may do damage. Still, all-in-all, I'd rather lose an arm (or leg) than my life. The proper way to help someone with a femoral bleed is to put pressure, LOTS OF IT, on the compromised blood vessel, about 1" above (closer to the heart) the injury. If the bleed is in the pelvic area, and you can't seem to stop the flow, maintain pressure and move your pressure out toward the pelvic bone. That gives you something more solid to press against. If the victim is conscious, this will be painful. If you ain't hurting him, you ain't helping him.

PS: You don't have to be built like an NFL linebacker to stop a femoral bleed. One of the ladies I work with is 5-feet-nothing and with her hair wet may weigh 100#. She does it every day.

PPS: I carry a medical grade "STOP THE BLEED" kit in my car. Cheap ones run about $30. Fully equipped ones can be had for less than $100. Get one. Better yet, get qualified with one. Maybe in conjunction with your CPR class. Which EVERYONE should have. They should teach this stuff in high-school.
    like bleed stop powder? or something else.
    been carrying the powder in my range bag for years.
    tell me more...

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Have a tourniquet with you and within reach all the time. I don’t know if this man could have saved his own life, but wearing full kit as an officer it seems like there’d be a place to put a tourniquet somewhere. Maybe he tried, I don’t know. Condolences to all involved, that’s a tough one.
    Honestly, even if it's in my pants pocket and not in my work bag on the seat, I only give myself a 50/50 shot at successfully deploying it while belted in behind the wheel. Particularly for a very high femoral injury like from an AIWB situation. Not easy to self treat in the time it takes to lose function.

Top Bottom