• ...and so much more!
  • IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    Alright,

I've gotta noob question, but I'm going to go ahead and ask it anyways. With Firearms season drawing near, I am really wanting to start hunting. I have always wanted to and never had the funds or fields to hunt. Now that's changed for me, and I am ready to finally take on the challenge. I haven't had a lot of experience. I have had a buddy take me with him and show me the ins-and-outs, so I think I'll be able to handle everything. I am just debating on which firearm to choose.

I can't make my mind up on pistol or shotgun. Before this thread gets out of hand, I want to add one more layer to this decision. I would like this gun to serve as a hunting gun and fulfill another purpose. I haven't owned a decent home defense pump shotgun and I like the idea of swapping the slug barrel for a 18.5" HD platform. So, I'm a little hesitant to go this route, because the accuracy of most pump shotguns has been less than thrilling.

I have been entertaining the idea of owning an AK Draco pistol, but I'm uncertain of its accuracy. Plus, I think it would make a decent trunk gun. So, what are your thoughts?

Again:
    I want to have a useful gun 50 weeks out of the year, and suitable hunting for 2 weeks.
    I want accuracy.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    IMO ! start with shotgun ! you can use it for 3 things since that sounds like your #1 requirement !

1 rifled slug barrel for slugs
    2 18.5 HD barrel
    3 removeable choke tube barrel for hunting stuff otheir than deer

Also IMO you need to get this firearm pretty soon to be familiar with it and shoot it several times before deer season!

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    A 12 gauge shotgun is the best all-around hunting weapons out there IMHO.

It can be used for almost everything. In fact, I'm trying to think of something you can't hunt with it in Indiana.

That and it makes a great sport weapon (trap, skeet) and home defense tool.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    I've always been partial to Remingtons. I currently own a 870 w/rifled barrel and a 1100 w/field barrel. My 870 is very accurate out to 100 yards (I haven't shot it passed that). I primarily use it for when I'm still hunting in the woods. I recently bought a lever action in 44 mag for the same purpose of still hunting. I would say the 870 or a lever gun would be good choice for hunting and defense.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    just buy them all, and then you could make a choice!

I have a Rem. 11-87, it came with a 28" smooth barrel, and a rifled slug bar......I have a confirmed kill on a doe, by a state trooper (neighbor of my brother) with a range finder at 162 yds. Great accurate gun! you can buy shorter barrels for it too! then you'd have a rifled, long smooth for bird/small furbearers, and short smooth for HD!

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    IMO ! start with shotgun ! you can use it for 3 things since that sounds like your #1 requirement !

2 18.5 HD barrel

Also IMO you need to get this firearm pretty soon to be familiar with it and shoot it several times before deer season!

Handguns limit your range quite a bit and will tempt you to make longer shots than you're probably ready for if you're a newbie. Stick with something like a shotgun that's versatile, effective, and has decent range capabilities.

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    alright,

i caved! i got a brand new remmy 870 slug gun. thanks for the encouragement and i hope to show her off with my first bag! wish me luck!

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Remington 870 all the way. Use it for HD, trap, deer hunting, bird hunting, anything! And what is this accuracy out of a pump nonsense? My 870s will easily take down deer at 100 yrds. And at HD ranges, that doesn't really matter anyways.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Good choice. Handgun hunting is harder than you would think. Not everybody (including me) really puts in the time necessary to do it right. The shotty is a great all-around weapon.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    And what is this accuracy out of a pump nonsense? My 870s will easily take down deer at 100 yrds.

With the Shotgun, Handgun, Muzzleloader and now the Pistol Caliber Rifle regulation, many can hunt with firearms that interest them.

I hadn't went in the woods after a deer for years, until the Pistol Caliber Rifle regulation hit, as hunting with a shotgun/muzzleloader/handgun no longer interested me.

DNR legal Pistol Caliber Rifles that shoot sub-MOA and deliver tremendous energy interest me.

If you are happy hunting with a shotgun/muzzleloader/handgun, that's great - and hopefully what this is all about, having fun.

Calling someone accuracy expectations "nonsense" because they are different than yours, well.....:rolleyes:

wilbur352

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN

2 18.5 HD barrel

I agree with Mike. a shotgun is a very versitile weapon. Home defense, Deer, Waterfowl, Turkey, Rabbit, Squirrel, Upland game, Trap, Skeet

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My favorite is a single shot NEF Pardner w/rifled Bull barrel...with a 1oz federal sabot its bullseye at 100 yds every time ...my second favorite is a H&R Handi Rifle in .500 S&W Mag. The advantage both these firearms have is they are single shot...and that they kick so dam* hard you don't want to have to shoot it again, so you make the first one count:)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA/VFW LIFE MEMBER

Top Bottom