• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protouraero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Chesterton, IN
    Does anyone know an agency that specializes in firearm insurance?
    Much like Haggerty, or Grundy would be specifically for classic cars, rather than going through your normal home owners insurance.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Does anyone know an agency that specializes in firearm insurance?
    Much like Haggerty, or Grundy would be specifically for classic cars, rather than going through your normal home owners insurance.

Nope, Whats the total you need coverage for? State Farm you can add $5000 rider to your HO coverage for dirt cheap. If you need more than that you can add an individual higher priced gun on its own policy.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm looking for information on insurance as well for my firearms. Any additional info would be great.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    When you add such a rider to your homeowner's or renter's policy, do you have to have them appraised by a licensed dealer and then provide an itemized list to the insurance company for their records so that someone else might know exactly what you have and can round up all such information with the push of a couple of buttons?

snojet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Carmel
    chraland51 - Your Quote--- "then provide an itemized list to the insurance company for their records so that someone else might know exactly what you have and can round up all such information with the push of a couple of buttons?"

That is why I haven't insured my firearms yet. Maybe the NRA is the safer bet on keeping that information private. But I'm still not sure on that either. I could see some Gov. agency demanding and getting that info for anyone, to include the NRA.

Maybe a "big-honking" fireproof safe. ???

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I use these guys. Historic Firearms & Collectibles Insurance Program | Eastern Insurance

I've used them in the past and their rates are very reasonable. The good thing is they don't require serial numbers and will do a blanket policy unless an individual item is over $10k. Only then do they require details but still no serial numbers. They cover all guns, all accessories, all mags however unfortunately not ammo.

They cover against theft, fire, flood, etc both at home and while traveling.

I have not nor ever read of a claim against them however so I'm not sure how much trouble they give during that process.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Be sure to ask.................

if your guns are covered everywhere. I found that some policies only cover the loss if it occurs at your residence. Gun stolen in Poughkeepsie..........Sorry, not covered! Everything I own is insured by State Farm. My guns are on a separate policy because they exceed the max coverage they'll put on your homeowner's policy. I provide them a list with values I set. No appraisal required. They insure the total dollar amount. Loss is covered regardless of where it occurs or the nature of the loss. Round figures are........Less than $300 per year for about $20K coverage.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The max coverage you can get on your State Farm Policy for theft is $5000. It is just and endorsement, no lists needed. If you have a fire, the only limits are your personal property limits.

If you have more than 5k then you need a personal articles policy like DRob, and you have to submit a list with value of each item.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    chraland51 - Your Quote--- "then provide an itemized list to the insurance company for their records so that someone else might know exactly what you have and can round up all such information with the push of a couple of buttons?"

That is why I haven't insured my firearms yet. Maybe the NRA is the safer bet on keeping that information private. But I'm still not sure on that either. I could see some Gov. agency demanding and getting that info for anyone, to include the NRA.

IIRC you do NOT need to list any firearms valued at less than $10,000 each on the NRA insurance. They just need a dollar value. If you have something over $10k (machinegun) then you need to list it, but that doesn't matter because "they" already know you have that one.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN

I use all-state. Every $5000 (nice round number) worth of firearms I add to my collection, I add $5000 coverage to personal property coverage on my homeowners policy - no separate rider needed . I only need to show proof of owning and was suggested by agent to take pic, write serial # on back and keep separate from residence. I have a large envelope in my parents safe. Not sure how this shows ownership or still owning, but this is all I need. My agent has never seen any of my firearms and quickly answered any questions concerning the "they not knowing what I have"

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    For those of you that have policies, but have never had the need to collect on them, I offer a valuable service...for a modest fee, I will allow you to test the scrutiny that you will encounter if any of your firearms are ever stolen/lost. :D

Seriously, I'm interested in knowing who provides the best coverage with the least amount of hassle, and will actually follow-through, if you have a loss.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    USAA has "valuable property insurance" which includes firearms. An FYI for anyone who is a member of USAA

Thanks for the heads up, I called about that today. They require serial numbers, will do up to 100 items per policy, no deductible, and claims are paid at the replacement cost. It is pretty pricey though. The quote I got was $550 more per year than the quote I received from Historic Firearms.

Top Bottom