• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deathmagnetgt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    New Albany
    Sorry if this question has been answered before but I just recently moved to IN after my service in the Army. I received my Conceal carry permit shortly after I arrived in Indiana. My question is can I buy rifles/handgun with just the permit? Will I need to show any type of identification? I've yet to apply for an Indiana id and still only have a military id and Arizona drivers license. From my understanding you need a state license to purchase a firearm.

So will my conceal carry permit work by itself?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You don't need your license to carry a handgun (concealed or not) to purchase firearms, but you will have to show something to prove your current address. Maybe the LTCH will work for that. Honestly, I don't know.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    How did you get Indianas LTCH without being a resident of Indiana? They will want to see real ID and once they see your out of state ID they will want to know which FFL in Arizona to ship it too.

Deathmagnetgt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    New Albany
    How did you get Indianas LTCH without being a resident of Indiana? They will want to see real ID and once they see your out of state ID they will want to know which FFL in Arizona to ship it too.
    DD form 214 (military separation form) shows an Indiana address. But when I went down to give my finger prints I showed them my AZ license and had no problem, didn't even need to show my 214.

Any idea if the DD 214 form would work for now?

I was under the impression that if you have a conceal permit you don't need to go threw a background check.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    If you go, to any gun shop in Indiana they will do a back ground check on you if you buy a handgun, rifle or any gun for that matter... I always used my In. DL.. They more then likely they will not use you LCTH it dosn't have a photo on it, so it could be anyones LCTH and you say its yours... Not that you would do that but they don't know you, more then likely seeing how your from Az.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    DD form 214 (military separation form) shows an Indiana address. But when I went down to give my finger prints I showed them my AZ license and had no problem, didn't even need to show my 214.

I was under the impression that if you have a conceal permit you don't need to go threw a background check.

Old data.

New way. You have to go thru NICS everytime you purchase from a FFL.

And FYI, it is a LTCH.
    Licence To Carry Handgun.
    Indiana Law doesn't care if it's concealed, or openly carried.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

There is no conceal carry permit in Indiana, you can open carry as well.

Some shops will not accept a military ID or a passport even.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    General rule for most lgs's they will need to see an Indiana I.d., hell I have heard of a few that won't accept India a I.d.'s only drivers licenses, it would be best to speak to the shop owner where you intend to purchase to get the details of their requirements.

rdb700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Southern IN
    When I purchased a gun back in January the gun shop just wanted my IN. Drivers license. I asked if it helped with LTCH and they didn't even want to see it. Not sure about the military ID though. Also to OP thanks for your service !

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    your AZ DL and your DD 214 should be enough. please talk to the store you are going to though to know their requirements. Best thing to do in this situation is just to get your IN DL if you plan to stay

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    your AZ DL and your DD 214 should be enough. please talk to the store you are going to though to know their requirements. Best thing to do in this situation is just to get your IN DL if you plan to stay

This is probably the best answer so far. Your dd214 and state issued DL SHOULD be enough to convince a gun store owner of your residency, but it is always up to their discretion, and they are not required to sell to anyone, no matter what the reason. I have personally witnessed people turned down by my LGS proprietor simply because he got a few butterflies during the interaction. Even seen this AFTER the customer payed, for the gun, and was about to call in the paperwork for a BG check.

If you intend to stay in Indiana (I am assuming this to be your intent, since you have an IN ltch) getting your ID changed to this state will simplify many more things besides making it easier to purchase handguns. If memory serves me, you are supposed to have it changed within 30 days of changing your residency anyway. Not getting this taken care of could just set yourself up for headaches down the road.

paulh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Evansville
    Bought a gun two weeks ago at a local store . Had to provide them with my drivers license. They did a background check while I waited. He didn't seem to care if I had my LTCH permit.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As noted elsewhere, LTCH is not necessary for a purchase. For purchase in Indiana from a LGS, you need to show residency (DL) and you are a proper person (background check). LTCH has nothing to do with purchasing.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The rules just say State issued PhotoID. Why some seem to think that's a driver's license is beyond me. A passport won't work because it's not linked to a home address. State issued ID's prove residency.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Years ago before the Brady federal background check, gun stores could accept the yellow license in lieu of the old Indiana background check. Doesn't mean anything now, of course, but it might be where this idea comes from.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The rules just say State issued PhotoID. Why some seem to think that's a driver's license is beyond me....

How many adults do you know who have a state-issued ID card, but not a drivers license? Of that group, how many of them had a drivers license at one time, but now...don't?

Drivers license is a generic stand-in for "state issued photo ID" because 95+% of the population have one.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    How many adults do you know who have a state-issued ID card, but not a drivers license? Of that group, how many of them had a drivers license at one time, but now...don't?

Drivers license is a generic stand-in for "state issued photo ID" because 95+% of the population have one.

Any more, its just assumed that a person has a DL, and its commonly considered an ID. I get what you are saying, just find it entertaining that some people want to split hairs in the name of starting an argument...

Top Bottom