• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I have been self-diagnosed with what I consider to be Firearm Attention Deficit Disorder. Here's what happens: I buy a gun (usually a handgun)- a gun that I shoot well, conceals easy, fits my needs, and that I like a lot. Then a couple months later I just get bored. Despite how much I like it and swear I'll never sell it, suddenly I don't want it anymore. So I have this internal battle for usually a week, then sell it and replace it with something similar. "But Bonkers4Bacon, why not just buy an additional gun so you can enjoy multiple guns and fill a different need?" My funds don't allow for that sort of thing so I just replace it with a gun of similar value and purpose. But then the same thing happens. A couple days in I say to myself, "this is the one. I'm keeping this one." About 6 months later, its gone. I've gone through 3 different carry guns since July of 2014 and am now on the market for the 4th.

Surely I am not the only one. There has to be someone else out there like me. Will I ever learn to love (a gun) or am I eternally afflicted? I am always envious of the people that can just purchase a different gun to scratch the itch, but my finances don't allow such a thing.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I used to be there - back in the day before I really started getting serious about carrying daily, though.

I'd trade / buy / sell stuff all the time.

But then I decided to get more serious. And then I began to realize that quality over quantity counted... I also realized that I wasn't doing myself any favors at all by wanting to switch things up so much all the time.

Have you taken any formal training classes with your carry gun?

bar3353

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Evansville
    I think that it can be taken like anything else that you want, such as cars or video games. Sometimes finances are tight so you either have to trade for a better car/ game that you want or make do with what you have. I would actually like a few more handguns myself. I also have finance problems that won't allow it.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Not me. I still own every gun that I've ever bought or received, starting with this one:

DSCN1461.jpg

Got it for my birthday in 1987.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    I have a form of that disorder only I rarely sell the weapon that I get bored with, I just buy another one and another and another, its a sickness. :ar15:The only cure, buy another gun

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Buy a Dan Wesson/Ed Brown/Wilson Combat 1911. Nobody EVER gets rid of one of those;)

He should go the opposite route, buy a Hi-Point or something like it that would be really hard to get rid of no matter how hard you tried!

Endlessly wanting something - there have been songs written about it because we all know what it is like to fight that battle...
    TOAD THE WET SPROCKET LYRICS - Desire

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    He should go the opposite route, buy a Hi-Point or something like it that would be really hard to get rid of no matter how hard you tried!

Endlessly wanting something - there have been songs written about it because we all know what it is like to fight that battle...
    TOAD THE WET SPROCKET LYRICS - Desire

Yeah I've read about that somewhere before...

Sheol and Abaddon are never satisfied, and never satisfied are the eyes of man. (Proverbs 27:20)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know a guy like this... It doesn't make much sense. With the money you loose every time you sell and buy a new gun, you could almost have 2 by now.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't really fall into this category myself, but I don't have that much of an issue with it.

I think one of the major perks of collecting firearms is the fact that they hold their value well and there are so many choices.

B4B has been able to own and enjoy 3 different guns in the past year for a relatively low investment. I don't see an issue with that. Some people like variety.

If you are serious about carrying, I would dedicate one gun to that role and stick with it. Add a second as a fun gun/ trade bait. But overall there is nothing wrong with changing things up. That's how you get experience with different models, manufacturers, etc.

Bfreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2015
    Van Buren
    I know a guy like this... It doesn't make much sense. With the money you loose every time you sell and buy a new gun, you could almost have 2 by now.

This is my thought I just keep stashing back until I can get the next on my list. Weather it is for me or the wife (she just had to have a 2" Rhino). I have bought a couple of guns to trade off but usually end up keeping them too. just add to my kids inheritance.:dunno:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This is my thought I just keep stashing back until I can get the next on my list. Weather it is for me or the wife (she just had to have a 2" Rhino). I have bought a couple of guns to trade off but usually end up keeping them too. just add to my kids inheritance.:dunno:

So you agree with the premise that you lose money by selling used guns, but you don't sell guns so you can keep them for your kid's inheritance. :n00b:

If guns lose value, you'd be better off investing that money into something that will provide better returns for your kids.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

I mean I don't like a gun I get rid of it... The nice thing is any guy I haven't liked and sold I bought on a good deal so I didn't loose much if anything at all. If I buy a gun though and don't like it I just get rid of it. I don't however fall in love with something and then sell it off for the next thing I want. I usually save, unless i just don't love the purchase etc. For the most part before I buy I know I'll keep.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    So you agree with the premise that you lose money by selling used guns, but you don't sell guns so you can keep them for your kid's inheritance. :n00b:

If guns lose value, you'd be better off investing that money into something that will provide better returns for your kids.

Buying and selling over short time periods simply because of one's personal interest level is what wastes money.

For instance, the single six that I posted earlier in the thread was purchased for $159 IIRC. It could go for $300 on gunbroker in its current condition.

Here's one that was bid to $300 but did not reach the reserve.
    1984 Ruger New Model Single Six .22 LR Model NR-6 : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

I have a handful of guns that probably won't ever be worth much more than I originally paid (the plastic carry guns), but quite a few more that have appreciated 25-50% over what I bought them for.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I was the same way for the longest time until I got my XDm in 45, have had it for a long time and still no interest in parting, maybe you just haven't found that right gun yet

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've never sold a weapon...that's why it's hard to find a niche that isn't filled in my accumulation (some have called it a collection but I hesitate to do so) yet just today I was perusing the classifieds...

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I do the math every time including what I paid for the gun and ammo used, etc. I have never lost money on a gun. I broke even on 2 of them and made money on the 3rd. I wouldn't allow myself to be this way if I was losing money every time. The bright side of it, like McGrease mentioned, is that I get to experience several different guns. Eventually I will find one that I love so much that I can't sell. Just haven't found it yet, I guess. I hope it exists :)

Top Bottom