• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I once flew into LA and had two rifles and a pistol in a licked case. I was waiting at the baggage turn style when I spotted my SMASHED AND CRACKED case coming around with both barrels sticking out. I was sure that the Luger would be gone, but it was still in the case. The break it as badly as they did, they must have run over the thing. The funny thing was that I had met a nice young couple on the flight who were going to give me a ride to my hotel. After they observed me repacking my weapons, they gave me the ride, but hardly said a word.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by minuteman32
    When I fly, I print the TSA regs & the regs for each airline I will be using. I then lock my unloaded gun(s) in an approved locked container & the ammo in an approved container, usually in the same bag that the locked gun container, if allowed. I use TSA locks on the bag & NON TSA locks on the container w/ the guns.
    When checking my luggage, I declare my unloaded firearm & ask where to wait for TSA to come for the key for the gun container. Once they come get my key & then return said key to me, I go to the terminal.
    Not usually a big deal, but can be nerve wracking going thru it the 1st few times.
    You let them leave your sight with the key? iirc That is actually a no no, you are supposed to remain in possession of the key. They can ask you to come with them and unlock it, but they are not supposed to take the key.
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock.

ETA It is actually against the law for them to take them. Per federal law only you are allowed to have possession of the key/combination.
    eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations
    §1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
    (c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under §1562.23 of this chapter
    sad3.gif
    1) Any loaded firearm(s).
    (2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—
    (i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
    (ii) The firearm is unloaded;
    (iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
    (iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, I know. Did it anyway.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    When I fly, I print the TSA regs & the regs for each airline I will be using. I then lock my unloaded gun(s) in an approved locked container & the ammo in an approved container, usually in the same bag that the locked gun container, if allowed. I use TSA locks on the bag & NON TSA locks on the container w/ the guns.
    When checking my luggage, I declare my unloaded firearm & ask where to wait for TSA to come for the key for the gun container. Once they come get my key & then return said key to me, I go to the terminal.
    Not usually a big deal, but can be nerve wracking going thru it the 1st few times.
    Where are you flying out of, and what airline? I've never handed over a key. As far as I know it is illegal for anyone other than the owner of the firearm to have the key or combination. I've always been present if/when they want to inspect my checked luggage.
    I'd like to see the regulations you say you printed out.
    eta: scooped!

Last edited:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    when my son moved to Hawaii I went along to see how it was handled . the ticket agent said TSA doesn't come check anymore . He stated so many guns come through daily that its no big deal . all he needed to see was that it was in an approved container . factory box with locks .
    What kind of guns did your son take to Hawaii?

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Well I'm supposed to be flying down to Texas for work and the VP wants to take me hog hunting. So I wanted to bring my AR and my edc.

Can I put both of them and my ammo in the same case?

Any recommendations?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ask the airline. They make the rules - NOT the TSA. The TSA does not own operate or insure the aircraft. The air carrier does.

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    For travel in the US it's easy. It has to be in a seperate locked hard container and cannot be it your regular travel bag. You should call ahead to your airline and let them know you plan to check a firearm in on your flight. When you arrive at the airport you need to have the gun inspected by the on site official and lock it up. They take it from there. Also there is a certain amount of ammo that you can take with you however it must be in original packaging. I usually put ammo in my regular checked bag seperate from my gun. I would check the TSA website to see if you can transport it in the same case. But overall it's fairly easy and carefree.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The TSA does not make the rules for what goes in the baggage hold or how it is packed and secured. The air carrier and the operator sets all rules. TSA has authority only in the inspection area and nowhere else. The absolute final authority in all matters of who or what is allowed in the aircraft is the pilot in command. If he won't check off on it and sign the manifest - it doesn't go aboard. I spent 10 years refueling, loading and unloading and servicing commercial and private aircraft. There are indeed rules but they do not come from the TSA. Most aviation laws and rules evolved from maritime rules and laws written for ships at sea.

Last edited:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    For travel in the US it's easy. It has to be in a seperate locked hard container and cannot be it your regular travel bag. You should call ahead to your airline and let them know you plan to check a firearm in on your flight. When you arrive at the airport you need to have the gun inspected by the on site official and lock it up. They take it from there. Also there is a certain amount of ammo that you can take with you however it must be in original packaging. I usually put ammo in my regular checked bag seperate from my gun. I would check the TSA website to see if you can transport it in the same case. But overall it's fairly easy and carefree.
    By"regular travel bag" do you mean carry on luggage? If so, you're correct.
    ammo does NOT need to be in original packaging. Actually it can be in magazine. Ammo also MUST be locked up, just like the gun. Ammo can be in the same container as the gun.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The TSA may not "make" the rules, but they certainly enforce the CFR as far as it goes with respect to guns in checked baggage. If you don't have your unloaded gun in a hardsided locked container that cannot be easily pried (like some plastic containers) then your gun will not go past the security check point.

The airlines can also impose their own set of rules, and these can be more restrictive. For example, the TSA is ok with ammunition in magazines as along as they the open end is secured so rounds don't go tumbling out (e.g. in a holster), but not all airlines will accept this. (Also one TSA guy pointed out to me that if I were to fly in certain east coast states where he had worked, my loaded magazines would be considered loaded guns and I would be in big trouble the local (not TSA) authorities.) Some airlines will not accept ammo in mags, it must be in a box. American Airlines used to be one of them, dunno if they still are. Different airlines have different rules on how much ammo can be carried, how many guns, etc.

I've never run into one that would not let you put a locked gun box inside your regular checked baggage tho (assuming it would fit).

Look up BOTH the most recent TSA rules AND the airline rules for all the airlines you are going to fly, and pay attention to them over what you read in any forum.

And oh by the way, I have encountered TSA check points where the TSA took my key and inspected the locked container in another room out of my sight. One was Indianapolis (more than once), and another was Denver IA. I could either give them the key or leave the locked gun box behind. :)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

By"regular travel bag" do you mean carry on luggage? If so, you're correct.
    ammo does NOT need to be in original packaging. Actually it can be in magazine. Ammo also MUST be locked up, just like the gun. Ammo can be in the same container as the gun.

What he said. Also, some clarifications:

The firearm must be in a locked container. That locked container can be checked luggage by itself, or it can be placed inside of other, checked luggage.

IMX, there is no need to "call ahead" to the airline. It is the ticket counter agent that will provide you the declaration form to fill out, and who will handle/process your luggage, and calling ahead won't facilitate that process.

I've never had anyone "inspect" my declared/checked firearm. I merely showed it to the ticket counter agent when declaring it, then locked the case and placed the declaration form on top of it. TSA *may* further inspect the declared firearm, but I've never had that happen, going through IND.

Ammunition does not have to be in OEM packaging, but cannot be "bulk" packed (even if OEM packaged that way); it must be in packaging that holds/separates each round individually. Each airline sets its ammunition weight limit separately, but IMX, 11 pounds seems pretty standard.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The TSA may not "make" the rules, but they certainly enforce the CFR as far as it goes with respect to guns in checked baggage...

And oh by the way, I have encountered TSA check points where the TSA took my key and inspected the locked container in another room out of my sight. One was Indianapolis (more than once), and another was Denver IA. I could either give them the key or leave the locked gun box behind. :)

Then they're not doing a very good job of enforcing the CFR, since this practice explicitly violates the CFR.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yup, there's just no point whatsoever in arguing when your rights under the law are being violated - you should just go along with it and bend over, right? That worked out really well for the Jews in 1939 when the guys in fancy shirts ordered them to line up at the cattle car.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

I've never had anyone "inspect" my declared/checked firearm. ..

They are not supposed to fiddle with the firearm at all, but they do inspect the CONTAINER on occasion, and I have had my gun containers opened and swabbed for explosives.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yup, there's just no point whatsoever in arguing when your rights under the law are being violated - you should just go along with it and bend over, right? That worked out really well for the Jews in 1939 when the guys in fancy shirts ordered them to line up at the cattle car.

Check, so next time I should just load up my piece and launch armed rebellion on the spot? Probably miss my plane though. :rolleyes:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I never said that. Do whatever you want. I stopped flying in 2001 - only because of the TSA. If everyone would stop putting up with this nonsense it would stop as quickly as it started. Have you ever seen a decorated U.S. Marine forced to strip down to his boxers in an airport because he "might be" a "terrorist"? Or see an old woman in a wheelchair forced to stand unaided while her chair was "examined"? Or a little girl screaming because a stranger was touching her all over while her parents stood by and watched? I have. Maybe that makes some people feel safe - but it makes me sick. Going along with the program isn't going to solve the problem. Refusing will.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    The TSA may not "make" the rules, but they certainly enforce the CFR as far as it goes with respect to guns in checked baggage. If you don't have your unloaded gun in a hardsided locked container that cannot be easily pried (like some plastic containers) then your gun will not go past the security check point.

The airlines can also impose their own set of rules, and these can be more restrictive. For example, the TSA is ok with ammunition in magazines as along as they the open end is secured so rounds don't go tumbling out (e.g. in a holster), but not all airlines will accept this. (Also one TSA guy pointed out to me that if I were to fly in certain east coast states where he had worked, my loaded magazines would be considered loaded guns and I would be in big trouble the local (not TSA) authorities.) Some airlines will not accept ammo in mags, it must be in a box. American Airlines used to be one of them, dunno if they still are. Different airlines have different rules on how much ammo can be carried, how many guns, etc.

I've never run into one that would not let you put a locked gun box inside your regular checked baggage tho (assuming it would fit).

Look up BOTH the most recent TSA rules AND the airline rules for all the airlines you are going to fly, and pay attention to them over what you read in any forum.

then your gun was inspected illegally.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    never said that. Do whatever you want. I stopped flying in 2001 - only because of the TSA. If everyone would stop putting up with this nonsense it would stop as quickly as it started. Have you ever seen a decorated U.S. Marine forced to strip down to his boxers in an airport because he "might be" a "terrorist"? Or see an old woman in a wheelchair forced to stand unaided while her chair was "examined"? Or a little girl screaming because a stranger was touching her all over while her parents stood by and watched? I have. Maybe that makes some people feel safe - but it makes me sick. Going along with the program isn't going to solve the problem. Refusing will.

Tell that to them in Brussels Buddy, ask them what it takes nowadays to fly, focus your hate on the bad guys, who made what you call "Marine stripping" and "Grandma groping" the norm nowadays.

Enjoy your bus rides .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom