Firearms training for women( possibly a child also)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    My niece is wanting to get a firearm, she's more then welcome to come try out anything I have but her dad wants her to get some training and was wanting to take her to Dons Gun( I damn near threw up). She lives in Avon and is wanting to get started soon, who would everyone recommend? She's a real novice.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    I'm sorry I can't personally recommend anyone because I am not familiar with the area. I am glad to see you are looking out for your niece and seeing that she gets professional firearms training though. Good for you. And I love the hat, by the way!

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Great place to visit would be a local chapter of The Well Armed Woman

It's a group BY WOMEN - FOR WOMEN that is all about defensive protection. I help with the chapter in Bartholomew Co & the testosterone is kept out as much as possible...

You also may ask this question in the "Ladies" sub-forum a little further down the main page.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Does she want a women only class or would she be comfortable in a coed environment? What about one-on-one? Does she have any experience, or has she never fired a gun before? Does she have a gun to bring to class, or will the instructor need to provide one? Is she looking to commit a day or a week to the class? Is there a budget cap or maximum travel distance?

I have met or trained with several of the local trainers. Coach does some good basic instruction at MCFG. Parabellum hosts TWAW and NRA classes in Avon. I've trained with one of the instructors there and he's a good shooter. The NRA classes can be taken cheaper if you you shop around, but may be a starting point if she hasn't selected a firearm yet.

Also, I live in Avon and have been known to take new shooters out and get them going in the right direction. I'm not a professional and I dont take payment.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    As far as guns goes she's wanting to try some out so she'll probably come out to my place and pick through my stuff to try since I have a range here. The last time she shot was close to 15 years ago and I think she just wants her daughter to get more of a safety type training(Eddie eagle?). I could teach her but I'm probably not what's she looking for.

I just didn't want her going to Dons.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Why do you think you aren't what she's looking for? What do you think she is looking for?

I am definitely in agreement about Don's Guns. Never go there. :-)

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    I would add an endorsement for Coach (Aron from Bright Firearms Training).
    My elderly mother and I had a private training session with him about a month ago.
    He was very knowledgeable and very patient.
    He is a skilled teacher.
    I will probably take additional training with him.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Don't go to Dons! Wish you were closer I would let my 10 year son give the safety talk. He has actually helped me with home school groups in the past and does a good job.

Conservation club in Columbus offers free Hunters Ed courses as well as hosts a chapter of The Well Armed Woman.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Coach is a good choice in that area. Also, some time spent with Jackson would be benificial.

ACT has experience with training families and small groups. My youngest was 4 and oldest nearly 80. The 4yo was with his family.

Top Bottom