• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I love having a fireplace, when your not planning on going anywhere an your off work an its cold outside and ya have a nice fire burning in the fireplace... My mom and dad had a fireplace and I must of got the love of it from then when I was a kid... When we bought this house it was one of the selling points for me besides having everything my wife wanted.... ;) I love it !!!!

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    I don't have a fireplace but have a nice little wood stove in my living room. Watching the flames and hot coals is mesmerizing and the warmth is soothing to my old body. Splitting firewood is a whole lot like exercise too!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've had a fireplace in every home I've owned. We are leasing right now and the owner stuck some plug-in electric crap in the fireplace. I'm not sure what he was thinking, but I will definitely have another fireplace in my next build. I would like to have a basement with a big stove.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Not what I was expecting, by the title. . . Oh well.

I wish I had a fireplace or wood burning stove, had 2 fireplaces in the house when I was a kid. I miss them.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I wouldn't have it any other way. Even if I had free gas or electric heat I would still burn wood (I just wouldn't get up to stoke the fire at 3 am on the bitter cold nights).

My :fogey: A$$ buy's it cut&split......:)
    I'm getting closer and closer to that every year... If I go out and cut/split/stack a whole load (about 2/3 of a cord) in a single day I'm sore for the next week... although it only takes about 5 loads like that to heat my house for an entire winter... that being said, $40 bucks a rick if you buy in the off-season is starting to look pretty good to me. For about $300-350/year I can heat my house and all I have to do is go pick the wood up and stack it at my place. Or pay a little more and they will deliver it...

Marcinko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    I've had a fireplace in every home I've owned. We are leasing right now and the owner stuck some plug-in electric crap in the fireplace. I'm not sure what he was thinking, but I will definitely have another fireplace in my next build. I would like to have a basement with a big stove.

I am sure he was thinking that he didn't want his house accidentally burnt down by someone and also didn't want to pay the extra for house insurance.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    If you are really concerned about heating, then a real standard fire place isn't doing you any favors. If it's drafting correctly, guess what else it is sucking out of your house up the chimney along with the air it needs.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    The house my wife bought has a gas insert in the fireplace. It was wood at first, but one of the previous owners put a $3,000 insert in. We put a remote on it and it is nice. We actually slept in front of it last night, though it was so cold outside the furnace was still turning on. The insert has thermal glass so we can't get to the fire, but it produces a ton of heat normally. I probably won't have a house again without a fireplace if I can help. I would like a wood burning one (or wood stove) eventually, but the no cleaning needed after using it each time is nice. It is also nice because it is a sealed unit, meaning gases and everything are self contained and no house heat escapes out the chimney.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I am sure he was thinking that he didn't want his house accidentally burnt down by someone and also didn't want to pay the extra for house insurance.
    Only some companies charge extra for insurance for homes with solid fueled heat sources. I talked to my insurance company before I installed mine and was told "makes no difference, as long as it's installed IAW code the rates and coverage don't change"

If you are really concerned about heating, then a real standard fire place isn't doing you any favors. If it's drafting correctly, guess what else it is sucking out of your house up the chimney along with the air it needs.
    Definitely a good point, but I think most people now include zero clearance fireplaces, fireplace inserts, and even sometimes wood-stoves into the same category as "fireplace" in these threads. All 3 of the former are much more efficient (as you said) but are often discussed on the same level as a traditional fireplace simply because they are wood heat and/or have a nice ambiance etc.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    The heat may go up the chimney but I know this room is really warn right now, so it all don't go up the chimney.... Had sweats on earlier but now I got my basketball shorts on and Im nice and toasty... Had to go out and get some wood earlier to restock for tomorrow, put a bunch on the deck under roof to keep it dry.... Im ready bring on the snow and the cold.... hehehehehehe

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm a little different. Though I grew up with a wood fireplace and liked it, now I prefer the gas log variety. Nice heat, same look but air quality is better and no mess to clean up. I am just too busy to be procuring wood, cutting, splitting, stacking, carrying and poking it to have a fire.

Call me a city slicker I guess.:)

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I'm a little different. Though I grew up with a wood fireplace and liked it, now I prefer the gas log variety. Nice heat, same look but air quality is better and no mess to clean up. I am just too busy to be procuring wood, cutting, splitting, stacking, carrying and poking it to have a fire.

Call me a city slicker I guess.:)

That's just part of it , poking the wood throwing more in the smell the cracking and popping .... The stacking, carrying and clean up sucks but again just part of it.. Love it wouldn't have it any other way...

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Love my wood burning fireplace. Here is a picture of our pup enjoying the fire. Always remember to have your flu and chimney inspected and cleaned on a yearly basis.

IMG_20141101_210940_698.jpg

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Grew up with wood cooking stove in kitchen & wood stove in center of house for heat. House my wife & I lived in for 40 years had wood furnace in basement. Heated my shop with wood. Sold wood to regular customers and at local auctions for 15 years. Cut the wood for my parents home for 15 years. Am now in our retirement home with natural gas fireplace & high efficiency natural gas furnace in house, n. gas heated garage, & n. gas heat in shop. More power to you guys but I am done with wood.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom