• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    From some of the stories I've heard regarding lethal injection, the firing squad may actually be quicker and therefore more humane.

I know many say that they don't care if the criminal suffers. That is understandable. But emotions should be kept out of it. Either there is a place for the death penalty or there is not. That topic will always be subject to debate regardless of whether we are for it or against. But as long as the state in question says that there is a place for it, the rationale behind the killing / execution should not be to exact revenge, but justice. Therefore, the motive, objectively speaking, should not be to inflict suffering. The criminal may suffer during the execution, and there are some who may understandably take some satisfaction in that - but that should be secondary.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And for the record, the way that UTAH used to do it, was one of the rifles (Winchester 30-30) was loaded with a wax bullet cartridge. This provided realistic recoil. (Blanks don't provide realistic recoil)

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You must be on weed!

You like me I can tell this. I like to give bullies special attention too. I'm full of life like that.

Churchmouse you're the weirdo bully harrassing me everywhere I post and now you just left me a visitor message? If you have such a "full" life just leave me be. Seems like you can dish it out yet you can't take someone calling you on your BS lies!

Good evening INGO, this is your in-thread warning.

The type of posts quoted above have no place on INGO. If any user has an issue please take it up in private, or notify a Moderator through PM.

Trolling/Personal attacks WILL get you banned from INGO.

Play nice, or play elsewhere...no additional warnings will be issued.

jbranham5173

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    mooresville,in
    I agree with most here ,firing is inexpensive and humane .some people don't deserve to be here , and with technology humans don't have to pull the trigger, set up a software program and set the time and let it go

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I agree with most here ,firing is inexpensive and humane .some people don't deserve to be here , and with technology humans don't have to pull the trigger, set up a software program and set the time and let it go

Putting someone into a cage or some other situation when at a predetermined time they will be killed is not much different than pulling the trigger yourself.

We could chain them to the rocks at low tide and then say the moon and the sun killed them but it won't make it true. We could push them out of an airplane and say it was the impact with the ground that killed them.

I maintain the most humane way to kill someone is when they don't know it is going to happen and it happens so quickly they are not aware of it. The State has all of these byzantine rules and it is almost Kafka-esque in its implementation. Leaving out the whole argument of making them suffer like they made their victims, there are far worse things than dying.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Putting someone into a cage or some other situation when at a predetermined time they will be killed is not much different than pulling the trigger yourself.

We could chain them to the rocks at low tide and then say the moon and the sun killed them but it won't make it true. We could push them out of an airplane and say it was the impact with the ground that killed them.

I maintain the most humane way to kill someone is when they don't know it is going to happen and it happens so quickly they are not aware of it. The State has all of these byzantine rules and it is almost Kafka-esque in its implementation. Leaving out the whole argument of making them suffer like they made their victims, there are far worse things than dying.
    I actually thought the suggestions regarding firing squad executions were to spare the psyche of the officials tasked with carrying out the punishment. I've always considered a swift death by gunshot to be humane. That's one thing most ethical hunters want for their quarry.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is the "for the greater good" argument. The death penalty has absolutely no purpose. It's not used uniformly, it's not a deterrent, it doesn't save money. it doesn't make people safer.

I bet some prison guards would disagree, if they were still alive to do so.

Florida killer who murdered prison guard with spoon executed | Daily Mail Online

Prison isn't some magical land where the violent criminals are no longer violent. Corpses don't kill guards or other prisoners.

And that is why I asked the question.....what do we do to fix this.
    I believe that any system will have cracks in it and someone is going to fall through them.

If the criteria is 100%, no system will ever live up to that. The system is already tilted in the accused's favor, and that's enshrined in the Constitution. Trials are often won by keeping the truth out of court, suppressing evidence or excluding witnesses. Are there wrongful convictions? Sure. At what ratio to the guilty released to victimize more people, though? I'm open to suggestions, but I think an overhaul of the CJ system is well above my pay grade and if the answers were simple we'd have already implemented them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm Ok with it. Good chance to test ammo, too.

I like that idea. Why waste good ballistic gelatin when you have the perfect test media right there. All they need to do is to have some ammo manufacturers standing by and as soon as the criminal is pronounced dead, let them make use of the carcass for a couple of hours. For some criminals, it will be the first time in their miserable existence that they've been useful.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    How else would this end up. We are talking about executions.
    It did not take a rocket scientist to see this coming. It was the only available path.

It started out, and I'm assuming the OP meant for it to stay, a thread about firing squads being used as a means of execution. Not a debate on the merits of the death penalty. No, it did not take a massive intellect to see this going in a bad way quickly. Seems like most threads on any given forum though. People want to interject their own opinion where is isn't asked for, nor wanted or needed. I myself am as well guilty. Such is the internet.

Up against the wall I say.

Top Bottom