• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I've been eyeballing some tackle boxes...only thing I don't like about them is the non-adjustability of the tray inserts.
    Check out Plano waterproof tackle cases. Not only are they adjustable but truly waterproof. In general you want to look at boxes in the 3600 and 3700 size series. If you don't need waterproof, the plain old 3700 and 3600's will do what you want. There are also versions that are almost completely open on the inside so you can fit larger tackle or gear. From there very easy to organize and store in anything from a soft case with a few in them, 14 or 18 gallon Rubbermaid bins all the way up to a large marine cooler holding a dozen or more. If you store them vertically, you just label the top edge of each box with primary contents. For smaller kits Aloksaks rule.

To get up and running fast Adventure Medical kits are great, especially the extended trip versions. I am more than capable of building my own kits and have had plenty of basic first aid training over the course of my life but it is very easy to grab an Adventure Medical kit.

Given a choice between gear and knowledge, I will take knowledge and duct tape and maybe some clean packing material, but even a small knife and my clothing can substitute there. A heavy duty casualty/space blanket. Knowing what to do trumps gear. That is why I like to give the Adventure Medical kits, IF you take the time to go through them and study them, they will help lead you to some knowledge.

I remember some years back being surprised at the time limit on stitching up an open wound when you arrive to the ER these days. In my youth it was around 24 hours, I learned that after going 48 hours with a large hole in my leg. You can really screw yourself up good by stitching a dirty wound. Mine was beyond field stitching anyway and the extreme cold help stop the bleeding but focus on doing more good then bad. Being able to coach others on what to do may also save your butt if you are the one hurt.

Years ago I lost a good friend in a cold water boating accident and I knew in my heart if I could just find him within 45 minutes I could save him. I may not have but I was confident and was going to try. I was 28 and there was around a dozen guys there that day ranging in age from 16 to maybe 50. Most were related in one way or another to each other and the guy who was missing. This was family, I was the new guy to the group, having met them 3 years earlier. I have never forgotten standing in the boat and looking at the guys in their boats as they arrived on the scene and realizing not a one of them knew Jack**** about anything and what to do. They were already beaten by the situation, the 16 year old was his Son too and they all just locked up, suddenly fishing can be deadly. I had already started a search, and sent someone to get help and send others back to me as he went to the launch to find a phone, we had no cell phones with us back then. I had to really work hard to get them to focus and do exactly what I told them. Even with no F'n clue what to do they resisted my leadership and I had to wrangle them hard. An hour later when help arrived the first 5 questions asked of us were exactly the things I had made them do. At that point they knew we were looking for his body unless he had passed out on shore and I had already searched the area he could have made it to and pulled out.

They could have had a boat full of gear and his body on the deck of one of the boats and without me or someone like me with some kind of training, he probably would have died anyway. Knowledge trumps gear.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I picked up one of these, and added the quick clot pack to it. The molle pouch is big enough to put both in if you re-organize the contents a bit.

5ive Star Gear First Aid Trauma Kit Nylon Bag MOLLE

QuikClot Trauma Pak Emergency First Aid Kit

It comes in a nice molle case (I went with the Red for easy ID). Going to put it in my get home bag / hunting pack, and considering getting a few more for the range bags my wife and I use.

Seems to have a good mix of basics in it from what I can determine from initial inspection.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I agree with those who say get training. I got a first aid kit before I had any training. There is nothing wrong with having a first aid kit around, of course. However, after I got some training, I started to understand what you put in your kit has to do with what you can actually do. Here's an easy example -- do you know how to do CPR? If so, include a mask, gloves, etc. If not, that stuff isn't going to do you any good. So now I no longer wonder about what I should have in my first aid kit. I know what I can and cannot do, and I modify the commercial kits accordingly.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I agree with those who say get training. I got a first aid kit before I had any training. There is nothing wrong with having a first aid kit around, of course. However, after I got some training, I started to understand what you put in your kit has to do with what you can actually do. Here's an easy example -- do you know how to do CPR? If so, include a mask, gloves, etc. If not, that stuff isn't going to do you any good. So now I no longer wonder about what I should have in my first aid kit. I know what I can and cannot do, and I modify the commercial kits accordingly.
    While I agree with you that you should have training, I disagree with the statement that you need mask and gloves to perform CPR. They might be preferable but are not absolutely necessary. If you choose not to do ventilations without a mask or ambu bag, at least do compressions. There is proof that this is beneficial to the patient's survival.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    While I agree with you that you should have training, I disagree with the statement that you need mask and gloves to perform CPR. They might be preferable but are not absolutely necessary. If you choose not to do ventilations without a mask or ambu bag, at least do compressions. There is proof that this is beneficial to the patient's survival.

That, and most CPR instruction is now compression only. Very few seem to be teaching rescue breathing anymore.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    That, and most CPR instruction is now compression only. Very few seem to be teaching rescue breathing anymore.

Red Cross still taught ventilation in their course for professional rescuers a few years ago. Which courses teach compression only?

Anyway, this example just goes to show that your equipment depends on your training.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Just finished a refresher course tonight.
    30 compressions, 2 breaths.

He said compressions only were taught in some basic CPR courses because some people would not take a CPR course if breaths were involved. My takeaway is that compressions only help but compressions + breaths were better.

I tried using "Another one bites the dust" to keep the rhythm but the instructor thought I might have remembered incorrectly and suggested I use "Stayin' Alive" instead. ;)

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    As a former American Heart Association BLS instructor, compressions alone are better than nothing and can be done by almost anyone. Compressions and ventilations are better but while we are on that road, let's wish for a trauma team with ETT's and defibrillators and drugs and such. Ya gotta run with what ya brung. If no one on the scene is willing to do mouth to mouth, compressions are better than nothing and do move some air.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Check out skinny medic. Medical Gear Outfitters, LLC he has a medic themed prepping channel on YouTube and has been a paramedic for awhile. All the stuff he puts in his kits are stuff he'd trust to use on the ambulance and use for his family.

SkinnyMedic - YouTube

Just finished a refresher course tonight.
    30 compressions, 2 breaths.

He said compressions only were taught in some basic CPR courses because some people would not take a CPR course if breaths were involved. My takeaway is that compressions only help but compressions + breaths were better.

I tried using "Another one bites the dust" to keep the rhythm but the instructor thought I might have remembered incorrectly and suggested I use "Stayin' Alive" instead. ;)

[video=youtube;ILxjxfB4zNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILxjxfB4zNk[/video]

The version with kids: NEW Vinnie Jones' CPR TV advert funny spoof with kids (Mini Vinnie and his mini henchmen) - YouTube

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Red Cross still taught ventilation in their course for professional rescuers a few years ago. Which courses teach compression only?

Anyway, this example just goes to show that your equipment depends on your training.

IIRC, the last time I did AHA is was compressions only, and my most recent training was MSHA (Mine Safety). Both were intended for complete amateurs though, who likely need to only perform CPR for a short time until first responders are on the scene.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think some folks may want to check out the Boo-Boo Kit by ITS Tactical. It fits in a back pocket and still has a good variety of first-aid items that it organizes into smaller pouches so everything doesn't fall out and go everywhere when you open it. It is NOT a trauma kit, though, so while the triangle bandage could make a field expedient tourniquet if necessary, it isn't really up to that task—but they do offer fully featured trauma kits, too.

Here are the Boo-Boo kcontents:
    (1) Triangle Bandage
    (10) Band-Aid (6 Large, 4 Small)
    (2) 3M Steri-Strips
    (2) Povidone-Iodine Prep Pad
    (2) Alcohol Prep Pad
    (2) Triple Antibiotic
    (2) Sting Relief Pad
    (2) Burn Jel
    (1) Moleskin (2” x 4” Strip)
    (2) Lip Ointment
    (2 pkgs. of 2 ea.) Electrolyte (Rehydration)
    (2 pkgs. of 2 ea.) Ibuprofen (Inflammation, Soreness)
    (2 pkgs. of 2 ea.) Non-Aspirin (Fevers)
    (2 pkgs. of 1 ea.) Antihistamine (Allergic Reactions)
    (2 pkgs. of 1 ea.) Anti-Diarrheal (Dehydration Prevention)
    (2 pkgs. of 2 ea.) Aspirin (Heart Attack)

its-boo-boo-kit-4-700x466.jpg

Even if you build your own kit, this might be a good place to get some inspiration. There's always more you can add or a few things you can remove based on your own needs and the purpose for which you're building it, but this is a good baseline.

shades171

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is some otc first aid kits come with alot of extra stuff. Point is, when buying a fa kit definitely think about getting what is needed on top. Most store fa kits have little supplies to control bleeding and treating major injuries. you might buy a fa kit that has only small gauze pads in it but lots of extra trinkets. The better idea imo is to look at one, make a list, and then make your own kit for what you think you'll need.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    I've never seen anyone NOT give rescue breaths via m2m or ambu bag. The ratios have changed however. Compressions don't matter if you're not circulating any o2.

Indianapolis Paramedics ( IFD and IEMS ) do not give breaths for the first 6 minutes of CPR. They do not attempt any advanced airways during that time. This has been going on for about 4 years now. The ROSC rate ( return of spontaneous circulation ) is now one of the best in the world.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Indianapolis Paramedics ( IFD and IEMS ) do not give breaths for the first 6 minutes of CPR. They do not attempt any advanced airways during that time. This has been going on for about 4 years now. The ROSC rate ( return of spontaneous circulation ) is now one of the best in the world.
    You are right on, the Red Cross is now teaching Hands only CPR. I watched something about it a few months ago where a study found compressions had a higher percentage of favorable outcomes.

Bluestarbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2014
    Fishers
    When I built a kit, I had trouble with a few of the more obscure items. Quick clot, isreali bandage, etc. there was a really helpful guy in one of the corners at the 1500. That may be a good place to supplement a store bought kit.

Top Bottom