• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I took my 3 children to their and my first appleseed today. Was very impressed by the the time and effort these people put into this organization as volunteers.

Being rookies and the fact their were 4 of us and that is exactly the number of 22 LR rifles we own I made a mistake of having my one son take his lever action,tube fed rifle with a 2x handgun scope.

This was a complete mistake and I would advise anyone going to not take a tube fed rifle especially a lever.

Any how at the noon break I took off for town 8 miles away and bought another 10/22 and rings and scope,then stopped at my brother inlaws house(he lives in the country half way between town and the range) borrowed some tools and installed the scope,quickly shot about 20 rounds to get it sighted and headed back to the range.

I didn't miss much and he had a much better experience.

I understand from talking to the instructors that some appleseed attendees who have already passed the course will come back with different rifles to challenge themselves but as a first timer It looks to me like you can't go wrong with a box mag semi auto.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Wow, four attendees at their first Appleseed! I would agree with making it as easy for the kids as possible. It will keep them interested and bring them back.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Good for you for bringing 3 others with you! Yep, I think detachable magazine fed semi auto .22's are tailor-made for Appleseed. I use a Marlin 795 myself.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    was this the one near Bedford?

May stop by tomorrow for a bit to check it out.

Need to pick up a 10/22 down the road and take my kids to the next one.

jve153

Expert
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    glad you guys are having fun and were able to make things a little easier on the young ones. the 10/22 is a great choice for these events, and from what i have seen is the most common rifle on the line. however, a rifleman score has been done with single shot cricket, as well there was a 12-14 year old kid at an appleseed a few weeks ago who repeatedly shot rifleman scores with a bolt action. as far as checking one out before you go, i would advise on just going. most people when they get there are going to immediately wish they had signed up and brought their rifle. its hard to watch someone else have fun and not want to join in.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    We set up an Appleseed for July 7-8 in Niles, MI. Right I have signed up 4 new shooters one which is an 8 y/o girl, her mother, my nephew, and my wife. I'm working on 2 more young women and another 8 year old girl. I've bought 3 10/22's, 5 shooting mats, and it looks like I'm going to need at least 5K rounds of ammo and 2 cases of water. This was going to be my first Appleseed. I decided to get a jump on the program and attended an AS last week and plan to get at least one more in ours in July. Maybe 2. Good thing our club has some spare .22 rifles from our Jr rifle program.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    This was a complete mistake and I would advise anyone going to not take a tube fed rifle especially a lever.

The highest scores I have seen on a AQT was with a tube fed rifle. They actually have an advantage over detachable mag rifle when shooting the AQT. Provided the rifle is mechanically working properly.

Are you from Indiana? If so bring that rifle to an Appleseed when you get home and I will show you some tricks to making it perform.

Very glad to hear you are having a good time.

YHJ

May 14, 2011
    colorado
    The highest scores I have seen on a AQT was with a tube fed rifle. They actually have an advantage over detachable mag rifle when shooting the AQT. Provided the rifle is mechanically working properly.

Are you from Indiana? If so bring that rifle to an Appleseed when you get home and I will show you some tricks to making it perform.

Very glad to hear you are having a good time.

YHJ

IT was really a poor choice of gun coupled with a kid with some learning disabilities and fine motor skill issues.
    by the time he got it loaded the rest were half way done shooting.
    I actually shot a couple of aqt's in the 195 range with it.
    the 10/22 was way better for him,
    And my other son qualified with a cz 452 with a score of 216

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    IT was really a poor choice of gun coupled with a kid with some learning disabilities and fine motor skill issues.
    by the time he got it loaded the rest were half way done shooting.
    I actually shot a couple of aqt's in the 195 range with it.
    the 10/22 was way better for him,
    And my other son qualified with a cz 452 with a score of 216

Different rifles suit different shooters.

Good job keeping at it until you found something he liked better. Congratulations on the 216!

Regarding the Lever action, did you guys use a drinking straw speed loader? If not, give it a shot sometime. A clean drinking straw makes a great speed loader for .22 tube feds!!

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Different rifles suit different shooters.

Good job keeping at it until you found something he liked better. Congratulations on the 216!

Regarding the Lever action, did you guys use a drinking straw speed loader? If not, give it a shot sometime. A clean drinking straw makes a great speed loader for .22 tube feds!!

Straws and a line boss aware of the time issues with a tube fed make all the difference in a shooter's enjoyment. We never want to get folks frustrated, especially the youngsters. Very very glad a rifle was found to give him a good experience.

YHJ

Top Bottom