• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    Fellow Hoosiers and AR guru's, I need some rifle buying help!

I have been doing research non stop for over a month, and I can not narrow down a pick for my first AR. What Im looking for is a good all around AR, that will mainly be used for plinking. I want an adjustable stock as well as a free floating rail. I would also like to stay under $1,300, and lower would be great too! Other than that, I dont really have any other preferences.

There are so many manufacturers to choose from, and I just dont know enough about AR's to know if I'm making the right choice or not. I've looked at Spikes, Bushmaster, POF, DPMS and so on. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why the free floating rail if you just want to plink?:dunno:

Shoot a bunch of different ARs. If you just want to plink, look at one of the hobby guns, RRA, DPMS or the like. Get a used one and save even more money.

Have you considered building one?

Remember it's all about the proper manipulations, load, unload, malfunction drills, keeping your stuff sorted out.

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point

Already read that. I learned a LOT from it, but I still cant narrow down my choice.

I've shot multiple AR's, mostly Bushmaster and Colt's. I like the way the free floating rail looks, and I want a vertical grip instead of the standard grip. I've thought of building one numerous times, but then I have to fine what upper and lower I want, as well as a LPK. Its hard enough finding a rifle, let alone separate pieces.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Already read that. I learned a LOT from it, but I still cant narrow down my choice.

Then I'll tell you what I tell my customers at the shop – buy whichever rifle has the features you want and is at the price you want to pay, and don't get wrapped around the axle regarding brand. For example, many manufacturers make a good M4-pattern carbine; it won't matter much from a practical standpoint if you end up with, say, a Bushmaster, S&W, or Rock River.

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    Then I'll tell you what I tell my customers at the shop – buy whichever rifle has the features you want and is at the price you want to pay, and don't get wrapped around the axle regarding brand. For example, many manufacturers make a good M4-pattern carbine; it won't matter much from a practical standpoint if you end up with, say, a Bushmaster, S&W, or Rock River.

Short, sweet and probably the best advice I've been given. Thank you for that. I think I've been looking for so long that I just started to create more questions for myself instead of answers. I'm pretty sure its time to start from scratch and just buy what I want. I'm sure ill have plenty more questions in the next few weeks after I buy one!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I think I've been looking for so long that I just started to create more questions for myself instead of answers.

And this is the situation that many, MANY first-time AR buyers find themselves in. Then they walk into a shop with a wall full of rifles that range in price from $650-$1200, but all look pretty much the same, and you can almost hear the gasket pop in their brain. ;)

I find myself doing a LOT of customer education when it comes to Black Rifles, and I don't mind a bit. Wish someone had taken the time when *I* first got into the game; would've saved me a bunch of money and heartache.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Fellow Hoosiers and AR guru's, I need some rifle buying help!

I have been doing research non stop for over a month, and I can not narrow down a pick for my first AR. What Im looking for is a good all around AR, that will mainly be used for plinking. I want an adjustable stock as well as a free floating rail. I would also like to stay under $1,300, and lower would be great too! Other than that, I dont really have any other preferences.

There are so many manufacturers to choose from, and I just dont know enough about AR's to know if I'm making the right choice or not. I've looked at Spikes, Bushmaster, POF, DPMS and so on. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

For $1300 you can get a LES BAER or CLARK GATOR:yesway:

supermahns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Smith and Wesson all the way. Great customer service. Built in the U.S. And have heard good things. personally I don't have one. But thats what I would have got if i hadn't bought the ACR from bushmaster.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I'd almost suggest going a different path. I'd find a less expensive one, keep it stock, shoot it a lot, and then decide what you DON'T like about it, and then upgrade to a model that addresses your complaints. Even with the more expensive models, there may be things you don't like, or wish you had bought differently. By going with the cheaper model first, you can learn these things without a huge outlay, and when it comes time to upgrade to what you decide you'd rather have, you can get most or all of your investment back from the cheaper one when you sell it - depending on if you buy new or used.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    $1300 should get you pretty close to a Ruger SR-556, which is close to the top of my current want list. They are decked out from the factory with some of the best gear that's currently out, and are piston driven.

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    Well, I'm thinking that buying a cheaper priced gun for now is probably the best option. I could pick up an M&P for $700ish, and put a rail on it. That way I can shoot it, and like Thompal said, figure what I don't like. And at least that way I can tear it apart and really learn the gun inside and out without being afraid of screwing something up. Then later on, build one myself.

Thanks for the input guys, this site is really great! I'm just getting into rifles, so I have a lot to learn. I'm more of a shotgun and pistol guy.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Or, you can go with my method: Agonize over the decision for two years, read everything you can find, watch countless YouTube videos, post questions here, delve way deep into ARFCOM, then order everything in a two day frenzy and then wait for weeks for it to arrive.

Seriously though, learning what you want and anticipating is half the fun. Shooting it is the other half.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Drat! 13 hours too late!

;)

And this is the situation that many, MANY first-time AR buyers find themselves in. Then they walk into a shop with a wall full of rifles that range in price from $650-$1200, but all look pretty much the same, and you can almost hear the gasket pop in their brain. ;)

I find myself doing a LOT of customer education when it comes to Black Rifles, and I don't mind a bit. Wish someone had taken the time when *I* first got into the game; would've saved me a bunch of money and heartache.

shooter521 was kind enough to offer me this exact advice when I was first looking for an AR 3 years ago. He's a wise fellow.

Since then, I have chronicled my journey into EBR disease. You might find these interesting.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/28436-my_bushmaster_m4_build_in_progress.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view_spikes_tactical_st_15_m4_le_carbine.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/121565-my_ar_sbr_build_in_progress.html

Top Bottom