• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A couple months ago asked questions on various web forums about a RECCE-concept, general purpose scoped AR to be used as a range toy for paper and steel targets out to a maximum of 650yd, with typical shots inside of 300yd.

I took the feedback I received, did a lot of research, and finally decided to go ahead with the project (principally to get my stuff before the 'great panic buy of 2012'). I elected to go with an SPR-style build, and since I've built a few Savages myself I decided I would take the opportunity to do my very first AR build.

Here is the parts list I decided on:

Surplus Ammo & Arms stripped upper (free with BHW barrel purchase)
    Surplus Ammo & Arms upper parts kit (FA/DC/CH)
    Black Hole Weaponry SS416 1:8 18" 5.56 rifle length gas barrel
    Midwest Industries SS-15 Gen 2 handguard
    Surplus Ammo & Arms low-pro gas block/gas tube/pin, flash hider & crush washer
    Palmetto State M16 MPI BCG
    Palmetto State MOE lower build kit
    Surplus Ammo & Arms stripped lower
    JP Enterprises yellow trigger spring kit.

Total investment: $833.38

My accuracy expectation is 1.25 MOA or better with factory 75/77gr ammo (FGMM, Black Hills, Hornady Match/Steel Match, etc.) from a rest, and hopefully MOA or better using tuned reloads.

-----

Monday afternoon, the last of my upper components arrived via Brown Santa, so I set out to get everything assembled. Using MidwayUSA's "how to build an AR" tutorial, I got everything put together in about 2 hours. Not too bad for my first upper build, though I had a hell of a time getting the FA pin installed and the BHW barrel was a very snug fit into the SAA upper. After installing the barrel nut I checked headspace with GO/NO-GO gauges and BCG from my other AR, and that checked good. The dust cover was VERY stiff to the point I thought it was stuck and that I had somehow buggered up the upper...but a good yank on the charging handle to pop it loose the first time and it seemed to work normally.

Wanting to test the upper for function, I decided to rob the BCG and lower from my other AR and head up to the forestry in Henryville. I picked up a Rock River 1" cantilever mount ($60) from Orion Arms and mounted an old Swift 4-12x40AO scope for the purpose of initial testing.

I had 50 rounds total:

20 rounds of Remington/UMC 55gr Metal Case
    20 rounds of 68gr HPBT/25.0gr Varget/Rem 6 1/2
    10 rounds of 75gr HPBT/24.5gr Varget/CCI-450

I used the 55gr UMC to check function, get the scope on paper at 25yd, verify zero at 100yd, then fired two 4-shot groups. Groups were shot from a bench using a Caldwell Rock Jr rest and sand sock.

4-shot groups with the 55gr UMC were...unimpressive, though not entirely unexpected, at 3".

Next I fired three groups with the 68gr HPBT (2640fps); two 5-shot and one 10-shot. The first group was pretty good, measuring at 1.25" with four shots going into 0.8". Second group was worse at 1.5", and the 10-shot group had 6 shots into 0.9", 7 shots into 1.25", and three bad fliers that were pretty much me.

Finally I fired two 5-shot groups with the 75gr HPBT (2590fps). These were what I was hoping to achieve from this rifle, with the first group coming in right at 1" and the second about 0.85".

A few thoughts:

1. The old Swift scope is destined for the trashcan. I had major focus & parallax issues and even with the AO couldn't get a consistent sight picture. I'm certain a better scope, even one with less magnification, would have resulted in noticeably better accuracy results. I'm thinking this rifle will end up wearing a Weaver 3-10x40 mil/mil optic in the very near future.

2. Using the lower from my other AR for the initial test, I quickly learned the importance of a good trigger in a precision AR. When I assemble my SAA lower I'll use the JP springs straight away, but start saving pennies for a Gieselle SSA-E.

3. The rifle went BANG when it was supposed to and functioned as designed. I did have a couple attempted double-feeds but I was using a brand-new 20rd P-Mag and really didn't have much lube in the upper. I'll lube everything up and see if the problems continue.

All in all, it was very gratifying to put it together myself and have a generic 75gr HPBT hand load shoot two 5-shot groups of MOA or better...especially with the scope & trigger I was using. I look forward to breaking it in more and testing different types of factory ammo (Hornady Steel Match 52/55/75gr, FGMM 77gr, Black Hills, etc) for accuracy.

IMG_0700.jpg

SPRGroup1.jpg

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Sounds like you had fun, built a nice rifle, and learned some stuff. Win, win, win. Based on your stated goals for the rifle, any reason you didn't choose a 20" or longer NM barrel with a target crown?

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I am awaiting my parts now. Sounds like we had the same idea in mind. The only real difference I can see between our builds:

1. Handguards - I am going with a 15" set of Sampson Evolution
    2. Trigger Group - I have a RRA 2 Stage NM in my lower
    3. I haven't chosen my flash hider yet

Keep me up to date with your progress. I wouldn't mind seeing how she performs out past 300!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Only things I'd suggest are a 2 stage trigger and a fixed stock. The RRA national match is a great trigger at $100 and the new magpul a2 moe stocks can be had for around $60 + shipping. Then you would also have an a2 buffer system which would allow for faster follow up shots if you situation would possibly call for that.

Only questions I have would be why you chose an 18" and not a 20" and why the carbine buffer system?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Sounds like you had fun, built a nice rifle, and learned some stuff. Win, win, win. Based on your stated goals for the rifle, any reason you didn't choose a 20" or longer NM barrel with a target crown?

Since I was looking for a multi-purpose rifle vs. a dedicated long-range AR, I decided 18" was a good compromise between the weight/maneuverability of a 16" and the increased velocity of a 20". That's also the reason I chose a collapsible stock vs. a fixed A2. I'm not planning any urban combat or house clearing with this rifle, and barrel length/weight doesn't much matter shooting from a bench...but I wanted something that was reasonably light and balanced well for shooting offhand.

I chose rifle length gas vs. midlength for the smoother impulse (very soft compared to my A1 carbine), and a threaded barrel should I decide to get a 5.56 suppressor down the road.

I seriously considered the RRA 20" Predator Pursuit and White Oak Armament 18" SPRr uppers, but in the end I figured I could build EXACTLY what I wanted for about the same money plus the satisfaction of doing it myself.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Sounds like a nice rifle. I would have went with the rifle length GS also. I personally like the longest gas system I can get for a given barrel length. It is much easier on parts ect. Is the barrel chrome lined? If not I would say there is a good chance your groups will tighten up after you get some rounds through it.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Sounds like a nice rifle. I would have went with the rifle length GS also. I personally like the longest gas system I can get for a given barrel length. It is much easier on parts ect. Is the barrel chrome lined? If not I would say there is a good chance your groups will tighten up after you get some rounds through it.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe he did go with the rifle length gas system?

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Sounds like the exact same reasoning I used to build mine. LMT upper 18", 1:8 twist, bought it built up, Aero Precision lower reciever with a parts group from M&A Parts, RRA 2 stage, Magpul CTR stock, Ergo grip. Needs nicer glass, but otherwise it has been fun. I haven't had it out past 100yds yet, hoping for 5-600yrds though.

I was like you though, knowing most of my shooting would be bench, but I also thought it would be nice to be able to shoot it standing or maybe try my hand at a 3 gun. Kinda a good at everything, not great for anything kinda gun.

small092812193853.jpg

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Early last week the UPS arrived with the lower build kit and BCG from Palmetto State, and I got the stripped lower assembled fairly quickly. Replaced the junky Swift 4-12x40 with a Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40 mil/mil from my Savage FVSR, grabbed a box of 75gr Hornady Steel Match from Bass Pro, and ventured up to the forestry range in Henryville right at noon today. Got the Weaver scope sighted in, then tested for accuracy off the wood benches with a Caldwell Rock Jr. rest and rear "rice sock".

First target with 5-round groups:

1119Target2.jpg

Second target with 5-round groups (and one rapid fire 10-round group on the left-most grey dot, last shot off the scan but the total group was <2 MOA)

1119Target1.jpg

Overall, I'm very pleased with the accuracy of the 75gr Steel Match ammo in this rifle. It chronographed at ~2600fps (40 shots) and does well from this 18" 1:8 AR barrel, much as it did the 26" 1:9 Savage barrel I used to have. I believe resolving my trigger issues will do as much for accuracy as replacing the scope did, quite possibly more. Well, a new trigger and more rounds downrange getting used to a gas gun...

Now the annoying part:

I did have issues with the FCG in my assembled lower. After the initial function test, I elected to install the yellow JP trigger springs when I assembled the lower; function testing showed a bit of grit and creep but much lighter pull than my other lower, and a test case with primer went BANG. I did note the sound of the hammer falling during dry-firing the upper with BCG installed sounded...weaker, I suppose, than my other lower.

The first shot I fired from the SAA assembled lower worked great, but then I got weak primer strikes on three consecutive rounds. Swapped the upper to my other lower (which I brought just in case of a problem like this) and finished the magazine; everything worked as should.

I swapped out the yellow hammer spring for the OE milspec hammer spring, and did the same for the disconnector spring. This seemed to improve things a *little*, but I was still getting light primer strikes. At this point I said "eff it" and shot the upper on my other lower for the vast majority of the two targets above.

Research shows the light primer strikes to be a common concern using the JP kit with certain ammunition, so I'm gonna reinstall the OE springs for my next outing and see how things work, then maybe try the JP trigger/disconnector spring with the OE hammer spring and see how reliable it is.

Needless to say, that Geiselle (or at least a RRA NM) is looking more and more likely near-term.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    BUMP

Had the opportunity a few weeks ago to try some IMR 8208XBR and Nosler 77gr Custom Competition bullets...

205873_10102081007087048_1814757589_n.jpg

18" 1:8 5.56 Black Hole Weaponry barrel w/ rifle length gas

Environmentals:
    525' ASL
    30.30" Hg
    30°F temp
    72% humidity
    mostly cloudy

I fired three control groups to sight in my scope and establish a velocity baseline. First was 5 rounds of Hornady 75gr Steel Match. These averaged 2489fps on the chronograph today, though previous data from this rifle has consistently been 2590-2600fps with this ammunition.

I then shot another control, the "standby" 24.0gr Varget with 75gr Hornady BTHP. 10 rounds of this came in just under 1" and averaged 2579fps across the chronograph. Good considering ES was 128...

The last control was 5 rounds of Black Hills 5.56 77gr Match HP SECONDS. These grouped 0.8" @ 100yd and averaged 2688fps across the chronograph.

Then I moved onto XBR loads.

IMR 8208XBR
    77gr Nosler CC @ 2.255"
    Rem brass, 1x
    Rem 6 1/2

First charge weight was 23.2gr 8208XBR. This is the listed max charge per Hodgdon, but multiple internet reports show this to be an OCW with plenty of room to step on it. 4 rounds across the chronograph measured 2584fps with ES of 25. Accuracy was 3 holes touching with a flier 9:30 and 0.75" out.

Next was 4 rounds at 23.5gr 8208XBR. These four rounds averaged 2658fps. Three rounds were cloverleafed, with a single flier 9 o'clock and 1" out.

Finally, 4 rounds at 23.8gr 8208XBR. These four rounds averaged 2683fps with ES of 22, and grouped the best at 0.44" @ 100yd. Brass looked good, better than the full-house BHA 5.56 brass and only 5fps slower on average.

I'm thinking I'll load up 10 rounds each at 23.5gr and 23.8gr and see how they perform..

Top Bottom