• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Hello!

I'm looking at purchasing my first AR. Main use would be for home defense combine with trying to beat the rush of the political election. I would also like to try my hand at three gun competition as means to become proficient in using the AR platform.

What are some good brands that I should be looking at/considering?

Any gun shops you would recommend? I was thinking of checking out Elmore's in Greenwood, Bradis in Camby, and Plainfield Shooting Supplies.

My budget is $1,000. So not looking for the best of the best but a good, reliable, and dependable starter AR until I become more familiar and knowledgeable about the platform.

Thank you for your help.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I was just in a couple Indy area shops looking for AR stuff. I purchased from Elmore's. They have a lot of ARs in stock and were friendly with good pricing per usual.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    First AR; I would suggest a "major" manufacturer Colt, Ruger, S&W. Learn your way around and then the 2nd and 3rd AR's will come in time!

I am partial to S&W and the following gets you a little better build quality than a Sport II (though its an excellent entry AR; as is the Ruger 556).

Product: Model M&P15T - 5.56 mm, Tactical

Your next question will be optics. Take a look at the Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6.

Then a Mako foregrip/bipod, then Voodoo carrying case, then extra mags, then...then...then...

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I just recently got my first AR as well. I was unfamiliar with the platform but had wanted one for some time. Had a pretty good idea what I wanted on it and decided that the best way to learn the platform was to build. I have not gotten to shoot it yet but i am pleased with how it turned out. Got in on the first stripped lower group buy and watched several youtube videos to learn the steps and then kept the one from Midwayusa open to help me through. I am somewhere around $625 for the build.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Have a look at an Armalite American Eagle, 16 in. barrel, collapsible stock. Mine was $625 including Magpul MBUS rear sight. Now I have added a Magpul CTR buttstock and MOE grip, and a Primary Arms red dot, but that's it for a while...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would stick in the 600 range on the gun and the rest mags and ammo. DPMS, Ruger, Bushmaster, Core 15, plenty of great guns in that price range. Always add an optic later when you get more cash, and more ammo, and more mags, then build another, then buy a high end one, then a short range one, then a long range one, then a full auto SBR...........

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    If $1000 is it for the total budget, I'd grab a smith M&P for $600 and buy an aimpoint pro.

if $1000 is just for the rifle, I'd buy a colt 6920. Then I'd buy an aimpoint pro.

boostjunki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 7, 2015
    Elkhart County
    I've always built my rifles, but I would agree that if buying a factory gun first stick to the more well known brands. That said you can build a rifle much more to your liking for the same or less money. If you could find an INGO member or someone else knowledgeable local to you maybe they'd be willing to help you out.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I can vouch USDS, they helped me with my first AR (SOG Lower) and I have had nothing but great customer service experiences with them. They also have some of the best prices in town. I don't hardly shop anywhere else anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

leomort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    I'm flexible on the $1000 budget. If I can get a good decent 1st AR15 for less and use remaining $$$ on magazines, that's great. If it's just for the AR itself and I have to wait to save up $$ for accessories that's fine.

I've learned from my hunting experience that it doesn't hurt to buy a little better quality product upfront and be happy in the long run. However, if you more experience AR users, advise to go a little cheaper and use remaining money on magazines, etc. that's what I'll do. I'm more of shooter than hunter so will be selling off most of my hunting firearms.

Thank you for all your input. I'm sure you get these type of questions quite regularly and I appreciate your patience.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Get a Colt 6920 or 6720 or get a BCM upper and put it on a BCM lower. Either will be great. G&R Tactical sells both of those, has good prices, and is in stock.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The problem with some of the 6920's, smith m&p II's and such is your stated desire to possibly compete with the gun. Look at what competitors are using as you move ahead with your decision. Lighter barrel profiles, slim extended free float hand guards over low profile gas blocks, single stage triggers, etc. You can buy a decent upper that fits these specs without breaking the budget. These rifles make better hunting rifles too, IMO, because they are light, built for accuracy, while retaining modularity. With a set of back up irons it would be a fine home defense gun, as well. The only difference would be (and this is preference) possibly a 2 stage trigger for the safety aspect.

Heres a fine example of what I'm talking about. It's a little outside your budget, but gives you an idea.

https://shop.bravocompanymfg.com/BC...ght-AR15-Carbine-p/bcm-carbine-750-790-lw.htm

You could go with something like this and pair it with a high quality bolt carrier group and a good lower, and still have money for mags and ammo.

PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1:7 Nitride Freedom Keymod Lightweight Upper - No BCG or CH - 7779901

You get the point. I'm just trying to help steer you clear of buying a rifle, then buying the equivalent of another rifle fixing what you don't like about it.

Top Bottom