• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Starve a cold, feed a fever? Whichever. Feed this, you'll keep having more rifles. How can that be bad? 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC, .458SOCOM, etc, etc, etc, optics, stocks, grips, you'll never run out of options. Lean your head back, close your eyes, smile, sleep well.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    Cowbell cures are limited.

BACON CURES EVERYTHING!

Ok, you got me. Who can argue with that?

Starve a cold, feed a fever? Whichever. Feed this, you'll keep having more rifles. How can that be bad? 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC, .458SOCOM, etc, etc, etc, optics, stocks, grips, you'll never run out of options. Lean your head back, close your eyes, smile, sleep well.

I'm glad my wife doesn't hang-out in this forum... You guys are going to get me in trouble. That said, I can't disagree with you.

I'm already looking forward to my 2nd PSA build. The lower build is a lot easier than you'd think.

I'm hoping so. I've had to pick up a few tools, but I think I'm good to go. I'm just waiting for an order of lowers to come in. Maybe I'll buy two? :)

ninjab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    ever find a lower, seems tough to find right now? I just had my psa kit arrive sooner than expected and was caught without a lower as well. Ordered one from Orion Arms (last one they had as of yesterday), but by the time it arrives at my ffl I will be out of town for a week. Anticipation killing me.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    ever find a lower, seems tough to find right now? I just had my psa kit arrive sooner than expected and was caught without a lower as well. Ordered one from Orion Arms (last one they had as of yesterday), but by the time it arrives at my ffl I will be out of town for a week. Anticipation killing me.

I believe I'm going to get one from Down by the Tracks (mentioned earlier in this thread). I contacted them that day and they had just sold their last one. They were ordering more and hopefully putting my name on one of them. I hear you on the anticipation. Good luck.

ninjab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    well that was awesome, my ffl received my lower the day after ordering from orion arms. They shipped it out in the morning and got it there by noon. Picked it up (the outpost in brazil, nice peole there) put it together and had plenty of daylight left to go shoot it. First shot didn't fire, took out bolt carriage and put it back in and it started shooting, must of not put it in right the first time. Otherwise shot great, had 3 failure to fires shooting pmc brass, not sure if they are light strikes or crappy primers.
    Assembly was pretty easy, took maybe an hour and a half really taking my time, only really scratched one spot when putting the mag release detent in.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    well that was awesome, my ffl received my lower the day after ordering from orion arms. They shipped it out in the morning and got it there by noon. Picked it up (the outpost in brazil, nice peole there) put it together and had plenty of daylight left to go shoot it. First shot didn't fire, took out bolt carriage and put it back in and it started shooting, must of not put it in right the first time. Otherwise shot great, had 3 failure to fires shooting pmc brass, not sure if they are light strikes or crappy primers.
    Assembly was pretty easy, took maybe an hour and a half really taking my time, only really scratched one spot when putting the mag release detent in.

Congrats on getting things up and running! I'm sure some of the others here could help you troubleshoot things if necessary (like you said, maybe it was just the ammo). I'm still new to AR's but am looking forward to learning... Enjoy your new toy!

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    First shot didn't fire, took out bolt carriage and put it back in and it started shooting, must of not put it in right the first time. Otherwise shot great, had 3 failure to fires shooting pmc brass, not sure if they are light strikes or crappy primers.

I wonder if the fact that you have to remove/reinsert the bolt-carrier was related at all to the other failures. Did you clean/oil things up prior to trying it out? Could there maybe be some junk from shipping that could cause issues? Like I said, I'm new to AR's, but I was just thinking about that as I drove to work.

Also, can I ask what you did for sights/optics? I haven't purchased anything yet. I'm leaning towards a PA micro for now (maybe something better in the future). I'm debating about the rear sight. I was considering MBUS, but am thinking it may be better to save-up a little more and watch for a new/used Troy flip-up. Too many choices...

ninjab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    yea, lubed everything up before running it

for rear site just went mbus, I plan to go with aimpoint sometime down the road and feel the magpul plastic is tought enough not to warrant the extra weight and expense of troy or other good irons. Going to get decent at irons before getting the red dot.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    Sounds great. I like the idea of 'getting decent at irons before getting the red dot'. I need to do the same.

Enjoy, and shoot the heck out of that thing.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    Getting pretty close. Still need a rear sight, sling, and eventually some kind of optic.

I'm considering MBUS and possibly GGG for the rear sight. I realize most here are going to say "Troy", but for a primarily range rifle, I'm having a hard time justifying the cost.

Found the following, thought it looked like a decent option:

GG&G 1005 A2 Flip-Up Sight

IMAG0246.jpg

Last edited:

ninjab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Getting pretty close. Still need a rear sight, sling, and eventually some kind of optic.

I'm considering MBUS and possibly GGG for the rear sight. I realize most here are going to say "Troy", but for a primarily range rifle, I'm having a hard time justifying the cost.

Found the following, thought it looked like a decent option:

GG&G 1005 A2 Flip-Up Sight

honestly would just go with magpul mbus, solid durable and cheap. ggg is probably fine though. I should post pics of my build, aimpoint pro coming in the mail today (ran out of patience quick on holding off on the red dot).

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    honestly would just go with magpul mbus, solid durable and cheap. ggg is probably fine though. I should post pics of my build, aimpoint pro coming in the mail today (ran out of patience quick on holding off on the red dot).

I went with the Magpul and I like it. Works just fine for the type of shooting I'll be doing with the rifle.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers

I went with the Magpul and I like it. Works just fine for the type of shooting I'll be doing with the rifle.

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning that way. I figure this is not the last AR15 I will build and that even if I step up to a Troy some day, I will likely be able to use the MBUS on something else.

ninjab, hope you enjoy the aimpoint. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold off either. At this point, I just need to buy some ammo (and a rear sight) and get in some trigger time...

ninjab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I was leaning that way. I figure this is not the last AR15 I will build and that even if I step up to a Troy some day, I will likely be able to use the MBUS on something else.

ninjab, hope you enjoy the aimpoint. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold off either. At this point, I just need to buy some ammo (and a rear sight) and get in some trigger time...

yea, I've had a lot of free time lately and trigger time has been burning a serious hole through my wallet. Shot the Aimpoint today, quite like it, didn't get to do much more than sight it in, in between the downpours.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Why midlength? Softer shooting with the expense of a little bit of weight moved forward with a little bit longer sight radius.

Top Bottom