• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryand111

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lake County, IN
    I just got my first gun, and it's and ar 15. I'm trying to figure out what I should do to it. Its a DPMS .223/5.56 Sportical. I want to get an optic, but i have no idea what to get. My price range for the optic is 300-450$ tops. I want an optic that you can use at 25 yards, but can also be used at 200 yards. I also want to know what you guys think the best collapsible iron sights are for the ar. And on my gas block the rail is shorter on the front than the rear. Do you guys think that would cause a problem aiming down range? Thanks for your guy's help!

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I would suggest buying a couple thousand rounds of ammo and spending a few hundred dollars on instruction. Since this is your first gun learn how to use it naked first. Go to an Appleseed after learning basic handling and operation. Optics and other accessories are a waste of money unless you know the basis. You wouldn't get in a race car without learning how to drive first.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    In order of importance...

Sights...Troy Battlesights
    Sling
    Light
    Ammo

Then train, train, train.

Then...

Optic

And then train, train, train.

You NEED nothing else for a combat rifle. You don't even need the optic, but they are helpful if you plan on making longer shots.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Sling
    Light
    Ammo

Then...

Optic

You NEED nothing else for a combat rifle. You don't even need the optic, but they are helpful if you plan on making longer shots.

Pretty much this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

after you get comfortable with it then start getting some of the pieces you like, want or need. Use it first.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    After all of the above... Lock it away in a safe and hold onto it for about a month, then turn around and sell it for triple what you bought it for!

Oh... and great first post by the way, and WELCOME to INGO!!

ryand111

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lake County, IN
    ok i understand about training, but i want to make my gun nice at the same time. Come on I know you guys can give me better suggestions than that for an optic, and irons

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    ok i understand about training, but i want to make my gun nice at the same time. Come on I know you guys can give me better suggestions than that for an optic, and irons

I bought my first AR last year about this time and all I wanted to do is to add accessories to it so it looked "cool or tactical". Granted I did not add much, all Magpul hardware and accessories including MBUS, sling and BAD Lever and Vortex Strikefire scope. All I have to say is that I am so happy that I did not spend a lot of money on accessories because after 1000+ rounds and countless hours practicing, most of those other accessories that I wanted would be worthless.

You want to impress people or look good using your new weapon? If so, practice, train, practice and train. Include mag changes, transitioning to your sidearm, making kill shots will moving, ect. The look of a weapon will mean nothing unless you can effectively use it. Just my :twocents:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The pst 1-4 is almost in your budget. Its kind of the jack of all trades in the scope world. You can do 25 yards with it aswell as 200 yards. I have them in stock right now (they have been moving pretty quick with all the folks buying ar's right now) Feel free to email me at alan@aaoptics.com and we can decide if that is your best option, or somthing else better fits your bill.

HollowaySF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    I have to say, I think w_ADAM_d88 had the best advice. On the other hand though I'm sure you don't want to sell your first gun just yet. In that case you need to listen to elaw555 and churchmouse. Learn the basics and get to know that weapon inside and out before buying all the Goochie gear. Hook up w/ some buddies that have ARs and check out their accessories and see what you like best. Everyone has a different taste.

HollowaySF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Sounds like you made a good choice. I'd save your money right now anyway since so many people are panic buying every AR part and rifle they can find causing the prices to sky rocket. Once everything settles down and prices drop again that's when I'd start searching for an optic and all your Guuchi gear. Until then, like the other guys said, train train train and start researching different accessories.

jjordan2840

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    lafayette

Sling
    Light
    Ammo

Then...

Optic

Any suggestions on slings?

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Yankee Hill and Troy both make nice flip-up sights. There are two different heights to choose from for the front, "gas block height " or "receiver height". Sounds like you need the gas block height.

Ryan281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    If you want an optic that you can use at close range and to be able to "see" a target and what is beyond(remember the 4 rules of gun safety), then a variable power optic best fits your needs for the money you want to spend. Look at Burris 1x4 scopes & the Millet DMS 1x4. They are both under $400 bucks, have nearly zero magnification on the lowest power setting, have illuminated reticles, and allow you to see out past 200 yards.

Magpul has decent fold down rear sights for 60 Bucks, Troy fold down sights are great but cost twice as much.

Ryan

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    It depends on how small of a target you are shooting. Even with irons sights a human size target is easy to hit at 300+yards. 2 liter bottles/milk jugs at 200. I put a burris xtr 1-4 30mm scope on an ar and i really like it. Viper/bushnell 4200 series/burris/etc all have 30mm scopes in the 1-4x range with or without illuminated recticles. 4x is enough zoom for anything a 55.6/.223 is capable of killing around here unless your punchin paper. Might be to little for prairie dogs at 300+ butmost bigger critters would be fine and the 1x is basically like having a red dot.

Top Bottom