• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    If I were you, I'd try to meet up with someone that has several rifles that would be willing to let you take a few shots. If you're planning on sticking with something pretty common, you'll be fine with .308win or 5.56/.223. There are plenty of very good rifles for either caliber.

As for those saying to get a Mosin Nagant, I haven't gotten one yet but will simply because they're really cheap. I will, however, still prefer my Mausers. And please, stop saying the Mosins have some stout recoil, my 7 year old nephew could handle the recoil with no problem.

Does he by chance have a 5 year old sister, with a pistol colection in her closet.

1forguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    I agree with giovani and the 223 comment.....less recoil, less likely to develop a bad flinch since you haven't been exposed to the larger recoil on a regular basis.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    338 Lapua. In all seriousness, a 308 is a solid choice for a lot of reasons. If you handload, there are no secrets with a 308. Someone has done it. It will be a solid shooter out to and past 1000 yards. There are other rounds out there that are cheaper, but none will perform as well as the 308. All this said, I still don't own a 308. I have the 243(308 case necked down to take a 6mm bullet), 300wsm, and the 338 Lapua. Seeing that you're in Ft Wayne, meet up with me at Hillside range and I'll let you take some rounds with my rifles.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Alright, I'm throwing my two cents in... I'm currently in the middle of chopping up a 458 barrel made for a 700 (number 6 contour, not chambered yet), and putting it on my AR build (for a 458 socom). In this frame of mind, I say that you buy an AR10, and rebarrel it in 300 WSM.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I'm looking at Mosin Nagant 91/30, with some good old Bulgarian surplus ammo. Like the above posters said, its cheap, and looks like it would be a blast to shoot- plus I like the classics, what can I say. I've been in indiucky's shop too many times.

Top Bottom