• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, another deer season is over for me and the boy. Towards the end of the season, we were seeing a disconcerting number of coyotes. While discussing this with him, the topic of trapping came up, and he showed quite a bit of interest in it. I haven't trapped since I was a kid, and that was just a short muskrat line. I thought getting a little trap line for coyotes could be a fun excuse for him and me to continue getting out together, and to broaden our outdoor experience.

I went up to Hoosier Trapper Supply in Greenwood to gear up, watched a bunch of his EXCELLENT Youtube vids to brush up on the ins and outs, and Monday we went out to set a few traps. Tuesday morning check, we came up with nothing, but scouted a little more land and added a few more sets.

This morning we had our first success! BTW, it was COLD this AM!
    d928d169-3fcc-4d6f-be71-69c2a019dcf3_zpscbfc1552.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great work!

I took my daughter out yesterday to run traps with the neighbor. We didn't find any, but she learned a lot about the outdoors, saw some deer (amazing how you see deer when coyote hunting and coyote when deer hunting!!!), and saw a few real life beaver dams.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I did some trapping as a animal control operater, try using some expired chicken, or buy some cheap chicken parts at store and put them in a dirt hole set-up, it works, smell stays close to ground and slowly goes out at ground level.This is a good set-up for multiple furbearers,I think by law you have to use off-set jaws been out of state for a while.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Good job Bro for teaching your son how to trap.... Won't let me Rep ya says I need to spread some around first.... So +1 for now...lol

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great work!

I took my daughter out yesterday to run traps with the neighbor. We didn't find any, but she learned a lot about the outdoors

He's been having a lot of fun going out daily to check the line, and he's becoming more tuned in to animal sign (track, trails, etc.), and I can see him trying to reason out the patterns and tendencies. This has been something I've wanted to do for a while now, and am glad I dove in to. This is a new challenge, and there is a lot to learn.

Top Bottom