• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    My nephew will be 10 this month. He was given a Mossberg 20ga two years ago. He's shot it and handled it well for the most part but it isn't the easiest for him to carry or handle in the stand.

This year I went deer hunting for the first time and went with him. I took my 300blk pistol. He liked it a lot. I know it isn't traditional and many don't even know you can use them but I think it would be perfect for a kid. My 15 year old daughter also liked the idea better than her 20ga.

Walking the fields and woods with an AR pistol slung across my chest was pretty nice.

I plan to build another 300blk pistol this year.

I would politely disagree on recommending a handgun. A handgun is much more difficult to shoot accuratley than a rifle. There is also a much higher possibility of having the muzzle pointed at something it shouldn't be pointed at.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Your idea for that youth model 700 .243 is very sound, and with the spacers, he'll be able to use it for some time as he grows, and (speculation here) he could probably keep it all the way through when he's fully grown if he were to replace the stock with one that has the more or less standard 13.5" length of pull (trigger to butt pad).
    One thing to keep in mind here that was already mentioned above is that, as the law is currently written, the high powered rifles (including the .243 and the .308 bores) are allowed strictly on private land, so if you intend to hunt public land, you'll have to use either muzzle loader, handgun, shotgun, or a handgun caliber rifle.
    It's likely that after the five season trial period of the new law allowing high powered rifles, the law will both expand the allowed high powered rifles and allow them to be used on public land, but that's not a sure thing.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I would politely disagree on recommending a handgun. A handgun is much more difficult to shoot accuratley than a rifle. There is also a much higher possibility of having the muzzle pointed at something it shouldn't be pointed at.

Are you familiar with AR pistols? They aren't a handgun at all.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I disagree . I have yet to handle a light muzzleloader . Heavy long barrels , plus a ram rod and supplies . If you shoot light loads , range and energy are diminished greatly . For a youth you need something light and easy to handle .

Not sure I agree with the light and easy to handle. I got my daughter a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt with the 24" octagonal barrel. My thoughts on it were as follows. The heavier gun and barrel help to absorb the recoil and make if more pleasant to shoot. She loves sitting down and just shooting it at the range which makes for more trigger time and better practice. I did not feel light and easy to handle was as important because lets face it they are kids. You will have them in a stand with you or in a ground blind with you. Both of these forms of hunting have a shooting rail or use shooting sticks. You are not going to have your child out stalking deer doing free hand shots at moving animals?

Just my :twocents:

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    Not sure I agree with the light and easy to handle. I got my daughter a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt with the 24" octagonal barrel. My thoughts on it were as follows. The heavier gun and barrel help to absorb the recoil and make if more pleasant to shoot. She loves sitting down and just shooting it at the range which makes for more trigger time and better practice. I did not feel light and easy to handle was as important because lets face it they are kids. You will have them in a stand with you or in a ground blind with you. Both of these forms of hunting have a shooting rail or use shooting sticks. You are not going to have your child out stalking deer doing free hand shots at moving animals?

Just my :twocents:

My thoughts exactly...

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I have hunted Wyoming each year since 1991 and had started with 300 Win Mag, 270, 243, then 7mm mag, and 308.....now back to the 243 for good. The 243 is a great round that so many think is "too small". My old Browning in 243 killed probably 20 deer in 4 or 5 years between me and some buddies...only one of those deer ran and that was my fault.

Last edited:

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I shot my first deer with a bolt action 20 ga. Still have it and plan to hand down to my son. I started hunting with my dad when I was 12. He did take me out a few times for a few hours before then, but 12 seemed about right to carry a gun. Before 12 my dad had me carry the 20 ga without the bolt to get used to carrying the gun.

I also hunted a few years with a .243 but I preferred the 20 ga.

Great hunting memories on the way!!

Top Bottom