• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I think I might go over to Point Blank in Carmel and rent some guns and test out the pistols mentioned in previous comments. Thank you guys so much for the advice and suggestions!

Very good idea. Point Blank has several 9mm handguns to rent, so you can try out a variety to see what you like best. Fondling guns is nice, but shooting them is the best way to find out what works best for you.

DanoFortWayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I have to agree with the poster on the single stack being much more concealable.

I have a few carry guns and my favorite for summer is the Springfield XDS, it shoots well and is incredibly concealable. My favorite winter carry gun is an FNS9C its considerably more accurate at distance but its a double stack and while its just barely bigger its much less concealable. I can wear cargo shorts and a T-shirt and carry the XDS, I have to wear a jacked to conceal the FNS9C.

I also think you need to look at holster options as that affects conceal-ability, I have this holster Springfield XDS 3.3 barrel NO Laser Inside the Waistband Dual Spring Clip Holster Right Handed Black 0585 - Winthrop Holsters for my xds and it really helps concealment.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Thank you for that tidbit, I actually hadn't even thought about revolvers. Although I think I've read somewhere that when it comes to revolvers, they are a little bit harder to conceal due to the extra width. Is that true?

ONLY the cylinder is wider, just about every other dimension is smaller. And, "wider" is relative -- on an LCR the cylinder is about the width of a G19, but EVERYTHING else is noticeably thinner
    AND... unless you are super thin or super heavy-set, the natural curves usually fut pretty well along the waistline.

...AND... it gives you the option to pocket carry or ankle carry, which a G19 is just too big for, and most would say that a Shield (or similar) is a bit heavy for.

With all that said, I carry a Shield, but I will be adding a carry revolver to the mix as my next purchase

Last edited:

ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    [Insert plug for Ruger SR9c here]

What you choose will ultimately come down to personal choice, but I highly recommend you add the Ruger SR9c to your list of firearms to check out.
    I second that. Have had sr9c for about three years. No regrets

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    if I can add a suggestion, the sig p320 compact, better trigger than a glock, easier to use slide and mag release, no "glock knuckle" and the same price as a glock

my glock 19 is a safe queen now I have a sig 320 compact

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My default "I don't know anything about you" recommendation is to at least try a S&W Shield. It's easy to conceal in a wide variety of styles of dress, easy to control for it's size, comes with decent sights and trigger out of the box, and is on the low end price wise.

There is certainly nothing wrong with revolvers. They are easier to handle administratively if you aren't yet familiar with guns, and some folks find they shoot them more naturally under stress. If the only clearance drill you know is "keep pulling the trigger", then they have a strong suit there, as well.

If you're willing and able to carry a larger gun, then the Glock and S&W M&P lineup is a popular choice for a reason. They are simple to operate and easy to learn to shoot pretty well. Just keep in mind they also don't have as much tolerance for user error in preventing accidental firing.

James45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Connersville
    I'm in the market for a new ccw as well. I already have a glock 19 just wanting something more concealable. I think I have my choices narrowed down to a glock 43 or a Shield.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Like people are saying, try before you buy.
    I Just picked up a Kahr TP9, also have a Rami.
    Can't go wrong with either.

bigbore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Indy S Side
    I have a Bersa Thunder 9mm and like it. The main reasons is that it is affordable, DA/SA trigger, 17 mag, and a safety. It is more accurate than I am. The negative is that it is a little heavier than comparable 9mm models.

Top Bottom