• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Here is the result of my first attempt at refinishing a handgun. It's an Argentinian FM Hi-Power that I traded a Colt 1903 to my son for. It was a mottled parkerized/paint/bare metal finish that looked pretty shabby. I stripped the paint and then degreased it a couple of times with brake cleaner. After degreasing, I baked it at around 100 degrees to get it ready for Duracoat. The frame is done in H&K Black and the slide in their Stainless color.

After a couple of coats of paint, I let it sit for about an hour, then baked it in a toaster oven at around 130 degrees for another hour. Once it cooled down, the finish became very hard and seems durable.

Here's a question for folks that have used Duracoat before: If you bake the finish for an hour at 130 degrees, how long do you have to wait before shooting it. I was able to assemble it without scratching it up, but am not sure how long until I can shoot it.

389063_2629521853041_1105180632_4754790_1765261542_n.jpg

While it was apart, I polished the sear and all fire control parts and the trigger feels really good now. No creep, just a clean break. The pull is a bit on the heavy side, but not too bad. Other than the silver being a bit brighter than I was expecting, I'm happy with the results.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    If you bake it, it's cured

You can shoot it now. Baking replaces the 2 week air drying process. It should be fully cured after an hour at 105 F.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks. Good to know I can shoot any time now. Refinishing really was not difficult but it helped to have a free toaster oven and pyrometer to play with. I'm thinking I'll shoot this one a bunch to see how it holds up, and if good, will start playing with some of the other less than pretty guns I have.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Nice!

Looks a whole heck of a lot better than the FM HP that I used to own! (Which wasn't bad, mind you...)

did you also remove the mag safety? That does wonders for HP triggers. If you don't remove that, you can always really polish up the spot on the mags where the safety rides.

-J-

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    How did you go about stripping the old finish? I am curious if it has to be completely removed. I am thinking about doing this process but want to make sure it is doable for me. Thanks.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    How did you go about stripping the old finish? I am curious if it has to be completely removed. I am thinking about doing this process but want to make sure it is doable for me. Thanks.

If you're using duracoat, I found the degreaser cleaner that comes with it will remove bluing.

bullseyebob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Looks nice. I just got a bottle of Stainless to do a S&W 22A. Did a Springfield 1911 in Colt Black , great stuff. About to do a Puma .22 1911 in desert tan and a Rem 597 rifle in stainless. I do not bake, just let it cure out naturally. Wish I had an old oven. I'm a retired airbrush illustrator, still like to blow gas.:dunno:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

for a finish that will last longer than just a few weeks you really should blast w/ an 80-120 grit abrasive at around 60 PSI.

winstonsmith84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Middletown
    I've never actually used Duracoat on a gun, but I did use it on a floor register. It has had 10 years of daily traffic walking across it with no so much as a scratch.

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Looks good. I'm taking a FM HP in on a trade next week. I'm going to refinish it also. Planning on the reverse of yours. I want to make it look like the Hi Power Practical.

Top Bottom