• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Hey everyone, im officially looking for my first handgun! I own a bolt action rifle and a 9 mm carbine. And im just wondering, what is a good starter gun? I have shot a few handguns, mostly .22 and my grandfathera Springfield .45. I've been looking at Beretta m9 or 92fs (heard they're extremely good and reliable). But, what are my other choices? Looking for something full size, price range from 400-600. Thanks for the suggestions! PS: this will be for self-defense, and I want to go into the police force and want to be comfortable with a handgun.

Last edited:

Bahbo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    Glock 17, Xdm 9, m&p 9, ad nauseum. Very simple in operation and manual of arms as well as in a caliber you shoot, not to mention they are all police duty style firearms.

Thanks,

Bahbo

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Did anyone even think to ask the obvious question...what 9mm carbine and can you get a hand gun
    With matching mags?

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Never mind then. I like the CZ 75 and clones but would take a Glock. Find out what the local
    Cops carry.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Beretta 92FS, or A1 would be great if you can afford $600, or the Ruger P95 can be had for under $300, and I think it shoots similarly. Both have similar safety feaures, being a decocker/safety, which is nice for a beginner, and they are both large and easy to shoot.

Going from a long gun to a pistol is difficult. I recommend you google "two thumbs forward grip" and practice it a lot. Enjoy!

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Glock 19 - Obviously a rugged and reliable weapon. CC profile is better than you'd think. Lifetime warranty.

FNP-9 - Very good pistol for the money - hammer fired, decocker, ships with 3 mags (mine had two hi-cap and one standard). Good factory sights. FNP's can be had for cheap since FNX came out. They are quality. Lifetime warranty.

S&W 6906 - All metal construction. Very reliable and accurate weapons. Decocker and double strike capability. Well built. Lifetime warranty.

As far as 9mm handguns goes - this is my first-hand experience. I'm more of a .45 guy myself, although our new g19 is working on me...

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Well, if your assumption is you want an autoloader, then I have to :+1: the CZ-75. If you are open to wheelguns, then I reccomend any of the Ruger .357s. You can pick up an old S 6 series that will last you forever for a few hundred. Easier to use, and more reliable than a semi, though arguably not by much.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Hey everyone, im officially looking for my first handgun! I own a bolt action rifle and a 9 mm carbine. And im just wondering, what is a good starter gun? I have shot a few handguns, mostly .22 and my grandfathera Springfield .45. I've been looking at Beretta m9 or 92fs (heard they're extremely good and reliable). But, what are my other choices? Looking for something full size, price range from 400-600. Thanks for the suggestions! PS: this will be for self-defense, and I want to go into the police force and want to be comfortable with a handgun.

Research what local LEO's carry, you'll probably find they are Glock, Sig, or M&P in either 9mm or .40. Any of the three will treat you well. I'd stay in a common caliber to your carbine, for several reasons. First; it's the same round. Second; 9mm is much cheaper to shoot than .40. Third; Since you are new to handguns, you find the 9mm is more controllable as .40 is a bit snappy. It will make your training more enjoyable.
    Check around for a local range that rents handguns for use on their range and try out as many as you can before you put your cash down. I've seen many people jump in and buy what's popular only later to find that they really don't like what they bought. Take your time and enjoy the experience.
    You'll be glad you did.

SyntorX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    X2 on handling and firing as many as you can...not to mention web research the ones you like to get an idea of what other operators are experiencing with their guns. Also, the manufacturers customer service is a thing to look at in the event you want/need parts or repairs.

I like the Sig 229, FNX9, M&P series, H&K and on and on.

Top Bottom