• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    For a first gun I always recommend a gun with a decocker/safety, and those are almost always the DA/SA guns. So take a look at: Ruger P95, Beretta 92FS and PX4, and such. Despite what all the people say, safeties and decockers are useful, and not outdated technology, especially when you are new to handling weapons and need extra assurance that it won't go off accidentally. Most striker fired DAO pistols have no safety, and also require you to pull the trigger to decock them every time you want to break them down for cleaning, which is a recipe for disaster for a beginner. Of course, if you always enforce strict safety, and you learn to check the chamber multiple times visually prior to every dry fire, you'll be fine. But a decocker/safety eliminates the need to always be so paranoid, because you don't have to pull the trigger to decock, and even if you did pull the trigger after decocking it would be impossible to discharge the weapon without first disengaging the safety/decocker!

Reason #2 for a safety: If you ever put your pistol in a glove box or drawer without a holster covering the trigger, then it could accidentally discharge easier without a safety. For example, if you grab the gun and don't know a pen has been wedged into the trigger housing, simply moving the gun could engage the trigger, but not if the safety is on. One time I grabbed my gun out of the side of the car door, and it had shifted, so I couldn't grip the handle well, and thought my finger was on the outside of the trigger housing wen i lifted it was on the actual trigger--luckily safety was on (I pretty much always keep in a holster now too, even though it will take longer to access in an emergency). Be aware that things shifting in a drawer can potentially disengage the safety too though.

Lastly, I always turn the safety off and have a loaded chamber when carrying, so the safety does not get in the way. When a holster covers the trigger then the holster IS the safety.

Sorry to rant, but every time I'm in a gun store I hear the guy behind the counter telling beginners that safeties are essentially dumb, and that they should buy a Glock. It is more important that you are comfortable with the weapon you choose IMO.

With all due respect, I disagree with some things that are said here. Many of the reasons you state that a safety/decocker are good seem to be complete negligence. For example, you state: "If you ever put your pistol in a glove box or drawer without a holster covering the trigger." Why in the world would you put a loaded gun in a drawer or glove box without the trigger being covered?

Yes, a person new to guns may not be as confident with them initially, but you don't need an engineering degree to operate them. I think someone who has been around guns has just as much of a chance of an ND as a person new to them because of complacency. I think the best thing any new gun owner can do is to take a basic gun safety class to learn the rules of gun safety, learn marksmanship, and solidify good safe gun handling.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    With all due respect, I disagree with some things that are said here. Many of the reasons you state that a safety/decocker are good seem to be complete negligence. For example, you state: "If you ever put your pistol in a glove box or drawer without a holster covering the trigger." Why in the world would you put a loaded gun in a drawer or glove box without the trigger being covered?

Yes, a person new to guns may not be as confident with them initially, but you don't need an engineering degree to operate them. I think someone who has been around guns has just as much of a chance of an ND as a person new to them because of complacency. I think the best thing any new gun owner can do is to take a basic gun safety class to learn the rules of gun safety, learn marksmanship, and solidify good safe gun handling.

I'm sure pots of folks disagree, since Glock has them all practically brainwashed.

You're telling me you've never put your gun in the side door of your car or drawer of your nightstand without a holster on it? I know a lot of people do, and i still do, although I try to use holsters more when storing than I did. That's because in an emergency removing your gun from a holster is going to slow you down far more than flicking off a safety...

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I'm sure pots of folks disagree, since Glock has them all practically brainwashed.

You're telling me you've never put your gun in the side door of your car or drawer of your nightstand without a holster on it? I know a lot of people do, and i still do, although I try to use holsters more when storing than I did. That's because in an emergency removing your gun from a holster is going to slow you down far more than flicking off a safety...

I personally don't see a striker fired gun any more inherently dangerous than a gun with a safety/decocker.

No, I have never put my loaded gun anywhere without being in a holster of some sort. Also, I don't think there should be anything in the drawer besides the gun itself, a spare mag and flashlight. Why would I do such a thing?

If one is in the habit of doing this, may I suggest a product?
    VanGuard Holster System

I think most people are not brainwashed and understand that having a safety/decocker is not a cop out for being negligent with their gun.

lobowind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    West of Indy
    The DAOs tend to have a heavier trigger pull than the sticker fired (which are also offten called DAO). This typically makes them easier to shoot more accurately.

Hope that helps!

I'm just wanting to make sure I understand, BravoMike.......are you saying that the heavier trigger pull of the DAO is easier to shoot more accurately or that the striker fired is more accurately shot?

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I'm just wanting to make sure I understand, BravoMike.......are you saying that the heavier trigger pull of the DAO is easier to shoot more accurately or that the striker fired is more accurately shot?

Sorry, I didn't realize I had written that poorly. No, I was saying that a lighter trigger pull of a striker fired gun makes them easier to shoot more accuratelly.

Thanks for pointing that out, I will edit my post.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Sorry, I didn't realize I had written that poorly. No, I was saying that a lighter trigger pull of a striker fired gun makes them easier to shoot more accuratelly.

Thanks for pointing that out, I will edit my post.

I do not believe the DAO trigger pull is lighter, unless you decock a DA/SA (hammer) gun, putting it in double action mode intentionally. The single action mode is usually a lighter trigger, since it doesn't have to first retract the striker spring as in DAO. Also, striker pistols tend to pull very slightly to the side when the striker spring releases, which is clearly noticeable when dry firing, I'm not sure of the technical reasons for this (i assume it is related to internal harmonics?). So there is less shift when a hammer drops, then when a striker is released during dry fire. For me this requires a firmer grip on striker guns to achieve excellent accuracy.

I own both, several models, striker, and hammer. I like both. Both have unique advantages/disadvantages, but I maintain my belief that SA/DA is somewhat easier for beginners, or at least worthy of a serious evaluation, rather than being cast out of contention based on Glock marketing propaganda. It is so funny that you hear so many people say that safeties and decockers are useless, but when you ask what their favorite pistol design of all time is, the answer is almost unanimously the 1911, which has both safety and decocker (and is hammer fired, DA/SA).

Last edited:

Expat-Trav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    North Indiana
    Something else to consider ( coming from a newbie like myself ) is ask yourself the question, Are you physically prepared for using a firearm ?

I work in IT and press buttons for a living, found quickly while trying certain weapons that my wrist strength was not up to snuff on some calibers. Also my upper arm strength needed to be worked on to manage recoil and accuracy properly.

You will find if this is a problem during an NRA basic hand gun course that holding and pointing a weapon aiming at a target for longer than 30 seconds will heavily affect your aim. It may not be the gun.

The last thing you want is to end up leaving the range after shooting very little rounds with wrist ache or worse.

I found it was easily fixed with some basic strengthening exercise.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you are looking for a hammer fired full size 9mm there are several excellent choices:
    CZ 75B
    Beretta 92FS
    S&W 5906
    Just to name a few.
    You can also find Browning Hi Power clones in the $300 range that are SAO and very similar to a 1911 in use.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    So, does anyone have a preference for a hammer gun as opposed to a striker?

I actually prefer a DA/SA hammer fired pistol over a striker fired. The trigger pull is heavier, but that just takes a little getting used to. I had a Glock and actually traded it off for a SIG P6 because I liked the trigger better.

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    the first handgun i ever purchased was a smith and wesson m&p 40. and i have to say i couldnt be happier. to this day it is one of my favorite handguns for reliability accuracy and speed of follow up shots its just an all around excellent gun i wouldnt trade it for anything

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Thank you all. Excellent info. I think the training class is the next thing for me to do.

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    I also did the NRA class first (Indy Gun Safety in Fishers). That way I got some basic training and I also go to shoot a host of different guns. I believe we used 6 different guns. .22's in semiauto and revolver as well was 9mm semiauto at the end of the course. This was a tremendous help to me because I was surprised at how different some of the guns felt from each other.

Then this led to make several trips to gun stores, eventually hitting Bradis up 2 or 3 times to ask questions and get answers and get a feel for different guns. This combined with countless hours of online research, fretting, reading these message boards.

I finally went with the M&P 9 and I have been pleased with it. I anticipated Glock 17 as I liked the feel of it from the class, and was not thinking S&W as there was a Sigma in class and I did not care for it. But all the reviews for the M&P were much different (and positive) than the sigma, and I really liked the feel and comfort of it compared to the Glock.

I won't go so far as to call it a "recommendation" simply because I dont' have enough experience to give you a meaningful comparison. But I did want to share the process I followed as it seemed to work out in the end despite my ongong confusion and uncertainty all along the way.

Good luck! :yesway:

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    FYI, I ended up getting the Springfield XD9. I liked the S&W M&P 9 a LOT. But, the price I found on the XD9 was too good to pass up.

Top Bottom