• ...and so much more!
  • Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    Hello all,

I will be attending my first IDPA match on March 6th. I have a small bit of knowledge of the event speaking and shooting with my better half's Grandfather and Uncle. I have also read the entire rulebook, so in no way am I ignorant of the match and equipment needed.

I will be using a Glock 23, I have enough mags (site says 2 mag changes). For this time I will be using my CBST as my holster and borrowing a fobus paddle mag holder. In the future if I decide it's something I want to continue I can buy more appropriate gear for quick drawing and reloading.

I was just wondering on this slow lonely friday in my office if anyone had any advice for a first timer going out to not look like a fool?

Just looking for a once a month good time at the range doing more than just standard plinking, not really looking to turn this into a cross country comp thing, of course minds change I guess depending on how good you get.

Thanks for any advice fellas, I'm sure it will help me out in both understanding the situation better and making 5:00 come a little faster. :yesway:

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    1. Tell the SO that it is your first time and ask that you never go first.

2. Don't try to go fast. Just take it slow and make your hits.

3. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

4. Have fun.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Safety. Think about what you are doing. Moving around the range is different than just standing their blasting bullseyes. Don't break 180, don't do something silly. Take your time, think about what you are doing, worry more about hits than speed.

Have fun!!

salemons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NorthWest Indiana
    First and foremost is safety.
    Be sure the RO knows its your first time.
    If there is anything you don't understand, ask.
    Take your time and go slow.
    Help pasting targets and resetting if needed. But don't touch a target till its scored.
    Talk to the guys.
    Have fun!!!

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    The slower you go, the more you will retain and the better basis you will have for building additional skills.

I see a lot of newer shooters who go faster than their brain can remember, and even seconds after the stage can't tell me what they just did.

Comprehend everything around you, focus on your task at hand, and enjoy yourself. Speed will come later.

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    Thanks for the tips so far. Really seems like a good group to hang out with for the day and learn and have fun, some of my friends are gun guys, but only lightly. Will be nice to hang around some more like minded people while practicing getting better.

Singlestacksig - The match is at Red Brush Range down here by the river in So Indiana.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I would like to try IDPA at a smaller match in northern Indiana. Anyone have a recommendation where and when to do it?

how far north?
    I think North porter co. CC is still doing matches..
    Wildcat valley will start back up in May..
    Atlanta & Hcf&g seem to run year round.. but get called off due to weather..

Wabash valley Pp shooters is not IDPA but is a great group of shooters..

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    how far north?
    I think North porter co. CC is still doing matches..
    Wildcat valley will start back up in May..
    Atlanta & Hcf&g seem to run year round.. but get called off due to weather..

Wabash valley Pp shooters is not IDPA but is a great group of shooters..
    Syracuse, I shoot SASS in the Warsaw area. Does the range at Warsaw ever host an IDPA or something similar?
    Or Nappanee?

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Redbrush will have one of the SO's conduct a "new shooters" briefing before the match. Be sure you attend when they ask who hasn't shot IDPA before. They will give you a few hints and tips. Take it slow, make sure you don't break any of the safety rules and have a good time. Usually one of the stages is in a plywood "shoot house". Make darn sure you understand the scenario and listen to all the instructions, especially on that stage.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was just wondering on this slow lonely friday in my office if anyone had any advice for a first timer going out to not look like a fool?

Two things that you should try to keep in mind as you get started with IDPA (or USPA) is:

1) keep your finger outside the trigger guard if you are moving/running but not actively shooting

2) keep your gun pointed downrange (180 degree rule) when:

a) Reloading while standing behind cover (it is easy to do it like they do in the movies and stand so close to cover that you have to turn sideways to reload.) So leave extra room and keep your shoulders facing downrange.

b) Moving laterally across the course (you'll tend to point the gun in the same direction you are running).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Freeland really has it right. Nobody really cares how well you shoot, they will be watching to make sure you are a safe shooter.

Take your time, and be safe, and nobody will ever say that you looked like a fool.

Rep to you Freeland....

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    Had a really great time at this shoot. Met INGO member Mudcat and his son, real nice guy, made me feel not so much like a new guy to the range. Also ran into a guy that used to work for me that is now on the EPD, he was shooting a G34 in SSP Expert, hadn't seen him in about 10 years so it was nice to catch up and still see we both love shooting.

Ended up not doing wonderful, but certainly not terrible for running a Glock 23 with fairly heavy loads. I might take a G17 next time with some nice heavy bullets and light loading to meet power level.

But definitely looks like I have a new once a month habit.

Top Bottom