• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catalyst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Fishers
    I am thinking about picking up my first revolver and I want a .357 in a 3" barrel. This would primarily be a range gun. Every time I talk myself into a particular model, I get lost sifting through all of the different options that are out there. I am leaning toward a Smith 686, but have also considered a Ruger GP100. I prefer the looks of the Smiths, especially the pre-key lock models with the older style cylinder releases. Any thoughts about other models I should consider? Are there any Indiana gun shops that have a good selection of new and used revolvers to check out? I know that all of this is personal preference, but I would appreciate other people sharing their opinions.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Beech Grove Firearms has a nice selection if you are near Indy. Best I've seen here. Orien arms down in Jeffersonville used to, not sure about now, though.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The GP100 in 3" is a nice revolver and will be easier to find and probably cheaper than a pre lock Smith. I have the blued Wyley Clapp edition and love it, other than the finish. If you go that route try to find a stainless one. There are others on here that have had problems with the blued ones and surface rust as well. I've had just a very small spot on mine show up when I didn't get it cleaned after a range day. Had too many things to do and put it off until the next evening and there it was. I love the way it shoots but the blued is a high maintenance gun.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I love my GP100 (4" SS), but I'll also be buying a S&W as my next revolver.
    the 4" has adjustable sights, whereas the 3" has fixed in the GP100s

A S&W 27, 66 combat, 686, 686+ would be my choice from the S&W

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Smiths=great looks,finish and trigger
    Gp-100= cheaper finish, good trigger with a little work. Will also last forever

To be clear, the finish in the Rugers isn't cheap, but it might not be as poished as SOME S&W finishes. They BOTH offer brushed and satin finishes, and special runs of high polish stuff as well.
    In Stainless, I like both, in blued an older S&W with a their deep bluing is unbeatable

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    In Stainless, I like both, in blued an older S&W with a their deep bluing is unbeatable

Ruger's stainless tends to be rougher, not as even, and the edges are a lot sharper (need dehorned). The fit and finish isn't usually like a Smith.

I love older Smith bluing, but this is one of the few instances I will give Colt a nod. Their polishing before the bluing process was very fine and it made the bluing look great. Back in the day when Colt was Colt

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I was in the same boat a couple years ago only I wanted a 6". I had my heart set on a S&W, but I could not afford it. I looked into the GP100, which I think looks better than the Smith. The fit and finish is better on the Smith. I was able to shoot a Smith 686 and and glad I went with the Ruger. The Smith has a better single action trigger, the Ruger has a better double action. I also prefer the push in cylinder lock vs the pull lock.

My GP100 came with the Hogue grip, however I swapped it out for a wood grip as I wanted a higher purchase on the gun. I also added a Hi-Viz front sight which is a great improvement over the stock sight.

All of this is my opinion of course, you may feel different, but this is what I've found and it works for me. Get out there and fondle some different ones and see which feels best to you. Good luck!

Jon

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The GP100 in 3" is a nice revolver and will be easier to find and probably cheaper than a pre lock Smith. I have the blued Wyley Clapp edition and love it, other than the finish. If you go that route try to find a stainless one. There are others on here that have had problems with the blued ones and surface rust as well. I've had just a very small spot on mine show up when I didn't get it cleaned after a range day. Had too many things to do and put it off until the next evening and there it was. I love the way it shoots but the blued is a high maintenance gun.

I had the same issue almost immediately and sent it back to Ruger for refinishing. Since then I've stopped carrying it much due to the maintenance issue. It's a gorgeous gun and it shoots fantastic, but the Match Champion is just easier to live with.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I own and carry a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 special. Modified high ride holster for quicker draw. Only drawback is 44 special ammo is hard to find. Nice revolver, good prices. If you don't mind the untrained staff (sometimes), Rural Kings Gun Barn has a nice selection of revolvers as well. I purchased mine at Black Bullet Firearms in New Castle, awesome staff!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I personally think the 686 with a 3 in. barrel is just about the prettiest looking gun ever made. Perfectly balanced.

That said, if it's primarily going to be for range use I would look at a 4 inch barrel. Better accuracy, better sight options.

I will have one someday. I keep telling myself this will be the year, but every year something comes up and I can't justify spending the money.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I love my 686, but my old Smith model 64 (.38 spl) is the best shooting gun I have. It's a $299 police trade-in, and it has taken the 686's position as my nightstand gun.

catalyst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks, everyone for the feedback. I will probably look at some 4" options as well. I know that makes sense for a range gun from a functionality standpoint. My attraction to the 3" guns is mostly that I like the looks. I probably just need to get my hands on some different models and see how they feel.

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Big Ruger fan here, don't think you can go wrong with the GP100. I prefer the look of the Ruger over the S&W. Also I'm not sure the S&W name is worth the extra $$$$

Top Bottom