• Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm getting .38 reloads for $15.

OP, don't look at this as threadjacking; look at it as information that will be helpful in the decision-making process. :draw:

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    My first and only handgun is a Smith & Wesson Model 64-3. It's a K frame 38 spl. My version has a 3' barrel and a round butt grip.

Big enough for the range and small enough to carry. I like it. But any of the Smith's or Ruger's would great.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I can't believe no-one has suggested the convertible Ruger Blackhawk.
    You can get one with 2 different cylinders that fire 3 different calibers total.
    .38spl/.357mag & 9mm cylinders.
    9mm would be least expensive to shoot I believe, and the .357 would allow for hunting if you choose.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I can't believe no-one has suggested the convertible Ruger Blackhawk.
    You can get one with 2 different cylinders that fire 3 different calibers total.
    .38spl/.357mag & 9mm cylinders.
    9mm would be least expensive to shoot I believe, and the .357 would allow for hunting if you choose.
    Those are excellent guns but kinda beyond his price point.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    View attachment 25972 For a first+only revolver, IMO, it's hard to beat a S&W Model 10, 4" barrel .38Spl. Agreed.
    There are 44 of the S&W Model 10, 4" on GunBroker.com right now. Many under $500 Any of the K frames would be a great place to start your collection.
    I won this Model 15 a couple weeks ago for $336. It had the nicest trigger out of the 10 S&W revolvers I have bought this year.

Revolvers are like Lay's Potato Chips...

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Blythe's in Valpo has .38 spl Precision reloads for $15.99. I have a friend who buys in bulk (not necessarily from Blythe's... not sure), and he gets them for me for $15.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah, I think I'm going to go the nail polish route, but whatever it is, I do think it will help.

I actually don't mind the look of the stag, esp. since the gun will stay in my console most of the time. But they are very thick and bulky, and I have short fingers. Hopefully thinner grips will help me reach the trigger just a bit better, although it wasn't a big problem.

I just painted my front sight on my Model 13 with Testor's Florescent Orange paint and it really helps a lot for my old eyes.

+ 2 on the .22. I have a model 617 4" and it is an awesome plinking revolver. I think if I was only going to have one, I would steer towards the .357 like others have suggested, but for all around fun, it's going to be hard to beat the .22.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I just painted my front sight on my Model 13 with Testor's Florescent Orange paint and it really helps a lot for my old eyes.

+ 2 on the .22. I have a model 617 4" and it is an awesome plinking revolver. I think if I was only going to have one, I would steer towards the .357 like others have suggested, but for all around fun, it's going to be hard to beat the .22.
    I finally got tired of chasing .22 ammo and sold my last one. If it comes back I can always pick up another one but I really hate having a gun just sitting in the safe.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    That Model 15 above had orange paint on the front sight. I took it off when I gave the gun a good clean and lube. Replaced the orange with yellow Testor's. In the outdoor sign business they say yellow on black is the most readable combination, so with the black rear sight I figured the yellow front would be best. After comparing my opinion is the orange is better. Live and learn.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I think as many times as I have seen this question asked, there are three names that tend to pop up consistently. Smith, Ruger, and Colt. As for caliber, 38 special (NOT S&W) is a great caliber for all around target/home defense out of a full size gun, but if you have any interest in hunting, or stepping up the power for SD duty, a revolver chambered in .357 Mag will give you greater flexibility. A 22 LR revolver can be lots of fun, but beyond targets and tree rats, I would think it would be lacking otherwise.

SA or DA, depending on what you are looking for, but in my experience is that a DA revolver tends to be easier to shoot for beginners than the plow-handle SA Army copies. That, and a DA revolver would be a bit more practical if pressed into home defense duty.

As far as manufacturer, I am a Smith fan, the triggers are better, and easier to work on to make even smoother. I picked up my Model 66-2 used for well inside the budget that you put out there, and it has been flawless in every way.

My wife is a Ruger fan (I think the main reason is just to be different than me). She has a few, but her revolver that would fit into this thread is a Ruger Service Six, .357, 2 3/4 barrel. She has other revolvers to hunt with, so that want an issue when she bought this one, so barrel length want an issue for her. Recoil is almost non existent with 38 special, and still very tolerable loaded with .357s. She picked this jewel up for around $325, and its also been nothing but excellent for her.

The third option would be going with a Colt. Probably wont find one in your price range, but still not unheard of. The biggest drawback to a colt would be finding someone who can work on one with any level of competency. I have never had one opened up, but from my understanding, they are very complex compared to the previous two I mentioned.

There are a few other manufactures that would be equally viable, ie. Dan Wesson, but finding one, and finding one inside your price range would be difficult at best.

Silverslider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    whatever you choose, i would definitely go with a 357. that way you can also shoot 38s which are cheaper. everyones hand is different. go to a shop and try them on for size. pick which ever fits best. in a revolver you really can't go wrong with any of the big brands, from Taurus to Colt.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Smith Model 10, 4". I prefer the pinned barrel v. Bull. Been around for 115 years and still going strong. It is the handgun of the 20th century. Fits your budget, high quality, and very accurate.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    It's kind of like a girl friend. Everyone is different. A vintage Ruger Security Six revolvers or any of Ruger's Six series revolvers are hot right now. That's Security Six, Service Six and Speed Six. Get stainless steel with at least a 4 inch barrel. I'm in the market for one with a six inch barrel for a good old target shooter. My second choice is a "K" frame Smith Wesson or Ruger GP100. Either are strong and built to last a long time. But, use caution and don't over pay for a used revolver. There are many to be had at a fair price ...between 400 and 500.00.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I don't own a revolver, but am interested in getting one as my next handgun. I'm not looking for anything concealable, and ideally would like something for some target plinking so a longer barrel (non stubnose) is preferred. I'm not very familiar with the different revolver calibers, all I know is I want something that is cheap(ish) to shoot and fun.

My budget? I'd like to keep it at $400 - $500.

My first and only revolver........ 2nd issue Colt Officers Model (circa 1920) in 38 Special with 7.5" barrel. This is a real target revolver from many years ago and has fully adjustable sights . This one has the deep dish silver Colt medallions in the original wood grips.

You can buy a nice shape reblue (collectors wont touch the reblues - they want originals) or one with non-original grips for around $400-$500. Any Officer's Model Colt revolver from 1st issue through the 1950s in 38 special should do. The "Match" monniker was added to Officers Model in later years, but didn't make any improvements to the gun. In fact the early ones were especially known for their handcrafted excellence and triggers. 38 Special is about as cheap of ammo as you can get, especially if you reload DEWC or SWC lead bullets like I do. Cost is about $7.00/50 rounds with me buying already cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. Additional savings can be had by casting your own, but I'm not into it that much.

Mine was about $650 and is not reblued, but has some holster wear.

16416d1319236710-1920-officers-model-38-w-7-5-barrel-dscn0088_2.jpg

16413d1319236455-1920-officers-model-38-w-7-5-barrel-dscn0083_2.jpg

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If you look around you might be able to find a S&W Model 66 in .357. That's been my go to revolver (though I do have an old police S&W Model 10 and it's pretty nice too and I only paid $250 for it).

Top Bottom