• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Would you really use a hand drill to complete an 80% lower?
    Sure, if you had an incredibly steady hand, but even small, benchtop drill presses are incredibly affordable and entirely usable for 80% lower finishing. Finishing other types of receivers? Dunno.

if he borrows it from you and does the work at his house, then no.
    As I read 2015-1, even if he comes over to your place and uses your workshop with your tools in it, it's kosher, provided you do not lay hands on the tools or reciever during the process (because then you'd be the one doing the "manufacturing"), or take payment (even promises of trading favours) for the use of your workshop/tools (because then you'd be a "business", in the ATF's estimation). Do neither, and even though it's happening at your place, you're not a firearm manufacturer nor a business, and the GCA doesn't apply to the acts.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well, since I have never received my crowd fund lowers, I won't have to worry about it.:)

I would think this could affect the 80% mfrs. out there. I see the market segment getting so muddy that many will just buy a 100% lower.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Well, since I have never received my crowd fund lowers, I won't have to worry about it.:)

I would think this could affect the 80% mfrs. out there. I see the market segment getting so muddy that many will just buy a 100% lower.

the ruling has nothing to do with virgin 80% receiver manfacturing

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    the ruling has nothing to do with virgin 80% receiver manfacturing

Understood. People who will purchase the 80% lowers to finish may get concerned with the changes to the laws regarding the finishing and ownership, transfer, etc. of them. This could cause a decrease in demand which translates into lower sales for the mfrs. Couple that to the low price of 100% lowers and well, put it this way, I won't be investing in any companies that make 80% lowers anymore.:)

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Understood. People who will purchase the 80% lowers to finish may get concerned with the changes to the laws regarding the finishing and ownership, transfer, etc. of them. This could cause a decrease in demand which translates into lower sales for the mfrs. Couple that to the low price of 100% lowers and well, put it this way, I won't be investing in any companies that make 80% lowers anymore.:)

True...there is really not much savings to be had with 80% lowers in the long run, I always looked at them as a niche market

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    In the business...ie making a profit. **** the BATFE. If it's for personal use and not for profit, this ruling doesn't mean a damn thing. People can still buddy up and make stuff, so long as no one is charged. :)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This is :poop: !!! Nearly ALL manufacturers sub contract out small parts to be made for their own products. What's next? Force all those small part manufacturers to have an FFL? Do suppressor companies make every single part in house?

How do we kick start reigning in this out of control alphabet agency?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    This is :poop: !!! Nearly ALL manufacturers sub contract out small parts to be made for their own products. What's next? Force all those small part manufacturers to have an FFL? Do suppressor companies make every single part in house?

How do we kick start reigning in this out of control alphabet agency?

Ignoring unconstitutional laws won't work. ALA Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Top Bottom