• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    On Friday night my friend(milton) and I were coming back from eating at steak and shake in Martinsville when milton accidentally turned the wrong way on a one way street. Well a martinsville officer saw it and pulled milton over. The officer came up and was very polite and told milton why he had stopped him. Milton then confirmed that he realized he was going the wrong way after he turned onto the street and then milton politely informed him that we were carrying loaded firearms and that we both had our permits. The officer said ok and asked where the firearms were at. Milton had a 1911 in an IWB and I had my Glock 26 in ankle holster so we informed the officer of their location. He politely asked milton to step out of the vehicle so he could check the firearm for his safety and ours. Milton got out and the officer took his 1911, took the mag out, emptied the cartridge out of the tube and gave it to another officer. Milton then got back into the car and I was asked to get out so they could check my firearm as well. I got out and the officer took my G26 out of my ankle holster and then he took out the mag, made sure there was not one in the chamber and then gave it to another officer. After this he asked to see our ID's and our CCW permits. We gave him our information which he took back to his car. After running our info he came back a few minutes later and gave milton a verbal warning for his traffic violation after which he gave us our guns back and told us to have a good evening.

I would like to say that the officer was very polite and I never once felt like I was in trouble. I was nervous as this was my first time carrying and being pulled over. I think this situation was handled really well by all who were involved. I am glad my first encounter with an LEO while carrying went well.

wbjenks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Noblesville
    03musgt, Thank you for posting a positive result to your "problem". I was pleased to hear that LEO handled things to your satisfaction. All LEO's are NOT the bad guys! Thanks for your post.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Like I said I was nervous, but I did not feel violated in the least bit. LEO's generally are pretty nice guys until you give them a reason not to be.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    While what you guys did was perfectly fine, you should know you're not required to state that you're carrying a firearm. The only time I would do so in a traffic stop situation would be if there was a chance the officer would see it or if he/she asks about any weapons. I'm glad your experience ended on a happy note.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    I know I dont have to, but I want to be an LEO and I know if I was a cop I would like to know if someone in the car was carrying a firearm.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    wow. that would have been the first and last time milton ever spoke for me.

:noway:

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Never, I repeat never volunteer information. Trust me on this one.

I dont see what is wrong with letting them know you're carrying and had more in the car. I did it the only time I was pulled over and all went well. Just asked me to step out of the car, didnt care to search me or check the guns.

Now admitting or volunteering any thing else might not be the smartest decision. The good old "do you know why I pulled you over" "any idea how fast were you going" that stuff.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    I know I dont have to, but I want to be an LEO and I know if I was a cop I would like to know if someone in the car was carrying a firearm.
    Why? If they're law abiding citizens then you have nothing to worry about. Criminals aren't going to tell you they have a gun and then kill you. All I'm saying is if you volunteer it without being asked, you're just asking for unwanted attention.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why? If they're law abiding citizens then you have nothing to worry about. Criminals aren't going to tell you they have a gun and then kill you. All I'm saying is if you volunteer it without being asked, you're just asking for unwanted attention.

I think it shows respect to an officer. And my thinking is if you show a little respect, some (not all) officers might give you a break on the actual reason you were pulled over. If I've got nothing to hide and it makes him feel more safe, why not?

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Do not "ever" talk to the police! Even if you think your talking your way out of trouble. Your probly wrong. That said. Glad it went well for you.

Have had my own experiance. I went verry well. And the cops where verry nice and didnt even touch my gun. The officer even corrected me when I made a statement... I used the word "privilage" (he told me carrying my gun was my "right").... This was a nice thing to hear from a officer. But I dont trust em.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Being once a Deputy Town Marshall I will say most of the older set are good guys.
    But the younger ones seem to be badges with attitudes.
    You never know what you are coming up on when you make a traffic stop. My cousin almost got shot in a traffic stop if it was not for another agency stopping also when they saw him make the stop. The other officer saw the loaded 32 in reach of the driver. My cousin could not see the pistol at his angle. Yes the guy had many warrants and yes he was arrested. but it was the belief of both my cousin & the other officer the guy would have tried something stupid if he had the chance and if there was not another officer at the time ( at the time and about 1/2 the time we only had one officer per vehicle)
    In Indiana you are not legaly compelled to inform the officer you are interacting with you are carrying, but other states you do.
    I'd rather inform than for some crazy reason the officer seeing your holster or some way seeing your handgun and then you getting a face full of mud or grass as a few other officers slamming you to the ground not knowing if you are a good guy or a bad guy.
    To each thier own , but I know what I will do

Farmritch

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    No offense, but if an LEO slammed me to the ground after simply seeing the firearm there would be a very large stink raised. As I had said before, if there's a chance the LEO will see my firearm, I will tell him/her out of courtesy. Owning a firearm isn't a crime and I will not be treated like a criminal for having one.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If I've done nothing wrong besides speeding or a seat belt I'll tell the officer if I'm OCing. If not, depends on the officer and his mood at my window... And how fast I was going.

Now if it's another episode of my neighbors calling the cops on ME because THEY were intimidating MY kids, then I tell the officer first thing. The last two times it happened the LEO's just took it, checked it, gave it back after conversing about local ranges, laws, the weather, etc. My neighbors are stupid and PPD is fed up with them calling EVERY OTHER DAY!

If you aren't doing anything wrong and the officer isn't being a complete arse then telling him and being totally polite might be the best course of action. Now I'm with everyone else when they say never volunteer info and to never say anything without a lawyer by your side, but telling the LEO that you are armed isn't going to get you into trouble. If you are legally carrying that is.

Tell, don't tell, it's your choice. Either way it's personal preferance.

Glad all went well!!!! Scary first time ain't it?

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Is "Milton" a code for another name?? I've never, honest, met anybody named Milton..
    Milton is me, not my actual name, but a nickname.

The reason that I felt necessary to tell the LEO of my weapon was due to the fact that a festival was going on, and the cops were already on alert. They had multiple officers (3) covering us from every angle. The minute he asks for my license, guess what I have to expose to get it out? I'd rather take 10 minutes of my time to know that I'm going to leave the interaction safely. I know this is an argument that will go on for ages, tell or no tell, but I don't know if the LEO I'm interacting with is trigger happy or not, and I don't want to find out. This is the second interaction with a LEO while carrying and I just think in most cases it's better to inform them. To each his own, I believe in the goodness of people, LEO's included. IF they ever give me a reason to change my mind I'll approach it differently. Also I gave 03mustgt the option to inform or not, he chose to. I didn't speak for him ;)

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Milton is me, not my actual name, but a nickname.

The reason that I felt necessary to tell the LEO of my weapon was due to the fact that a festival was going on, and the cops were already on alert. They had multiple officers (3) covering us from every angle. The minute he asks for my license, guess what I have to expose to get it out? I'd rather take 10 minutes of my time to know that I'm going to leave the interaction safely. I know this is an argument that will go on for ages, tell or no tell, but I don't know if the LEO I'm interacting with is trigger happy or not, and I don't want to find out. This is the second interaction with a LEO while carrying and I just think in most cases it's better to inform them. To each his own, I believe in the goodness of people, LEO's included. IF they ever give me a reason to change my mind I'll approach it differently. Also I gave 03mustgt the option to inform or not, he chose to. I didn't speak for him ;)

Well..... FWIW, under the exact circumstances that you describe, I say you acted prudently and appropriately. :rockwoot:
    :cheers:

Top Bottom