• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    looking for some advice on a first shotgun for my 13 year old son. This will be used primarily for clays with an occasional upland bird hunt. He is on the smaller side 4'11" and 90 pounds.

what we are looking at is 20 GA youth models
    the 3 models he likes are

Remington 870 express Youth
    Mossberg 500 Bantam
    Weatherby PA-08 Upland youth

Looking for any thoughts or concerns from these models or any other models to look into want to say under the $500

I would skip the pumps all together. Especially if he is going to be hunting with it. You cant go wrong with a Remington 1100 or 11-87 in 12ga.

12ga Auto loader is basically a nudge on your shoulder. If you are anywhere near Terre Haute (I live just north on the outside edge) bring him over and I will let him try out a Remington 11-87 in my backyard shooting some heavy loads. If you are use to those pumps....you might have to try the 11-87 too! Both can be had for under a 500 on the used market.

Bailey06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I was looking at the 20ga youth model for my son.
    He is 10, not sure he is big enough to shoot one yet.

B6240

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    South Central IN
    When my stepson started shooting the 870 he was only about 85 pounds. He did fine once he got past the mental block of worring about the kick.

MG77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    looking for some advice on a first shotgun for my 13 year old son. This will be used primarily for clays with an occasional upland bird hunt. He is on the smaller side 4'11" and 90 pounds.

what we are looking at is 20 GA youth models
    the 3 models he likes are

Remington 870 express Youth
    Mossberg 500 Bantam
    Weatherby PA-08 Upland youth

Looking for any thoughts or concerns from these models or any other models to look into want to say under the $500

Can't go wrong with any of them, I still have my 12 gauge 870 my dad bought for me when I was 12. Get something that fits him and get him comfortable shooting a gun safely it is the main thing.

Bailey06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I agree doesn't matter which brand od shotgun you decide on. So long as it fits the person using it.

Rogkin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Greenfield
    For what it's worth I am a believer in the 870's. I have shot clays, deer, rabbits, squirrel, and pheasants with a 20 ga 870. It is my favorite gun.

Top Bottom