• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CS2KS2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Looking to take the plunge into buying my first AR in 5.56. Seems like a lot of options out there. Looking to be in the $500-$700 range. Any advice on a solid buy?

CS2KS2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Mainly going to be a "fun at the range" weapon, 100 yds max; home defense is also a consideration. Price range does not include optics, plan to add them on in the future after the initial buy. Only other criterion I have decided on at this point would be a short barrel 14.5 - 16 in.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mainly going to be a "fun at the range" weapon, 100 yds max; home defense is also a consideration. Price range does not include optics, plan to add them on in the future after the initial buy. Only other criterion I have decided on at this point would be a short barrel 14.5 - 16 in.

If you go under a 16" barrel it turns into NFA, unless you have a muzzle device permanently attached that makes it a 16" barrel.
    Only other way around a shorter barrel is to go to a pistol configuration.
    In this case, look at Palmetto State Armory (PSA) for a basic AR15.
    Should be in your price range, and a very serviceable firearm.

Ammunition, AR15 Parts, Magazines, Bulk Ammo - Palmetto State Armory

SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    I was going to say that Core 15 would be a good option. But after a quick search they may be slightly about your price range. I could have sworn I saw them in the 600-650 range before though.

CS2KS2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Indianapolis

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    M&P is all right, but PSA is a typically more for less.

Most all local-to-indy stores are manned by dimwits and you are better off buying online.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if any local stores carry it? Would like to avoid online purchase if at all possible.

I have seen them advertised at MC Sports and I know other major stores have them. You would just have to call the LGS's to see if they have them. Another choice is order it from here:
    Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II AR-15 Rifle 10202 : RK Guns and pick it up at a local store or call one close to you and see if they have it in stock.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Skip the m&p sport. Get the aero precision stripped rifle and throw your own stock and grip on it. It's a hell of a lot nicer rifle.

That, or save up a few extra bucks and get a 6920, spikes, etc...

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    All options are good. Can't go wrong with PSA in my experience. I have turned into a big fan of Aero Precision too. I feel like its another good bang for the buck. Biggest question to answer what you need is "what do you want to use it for", as stated above. Odds are, you're gonna want another one in 6mo or so... they tend to multiply.
    I used to rule out colts right off the bat saying all you do is pay for the name. If you look around though sometimes a 6920 pops up that's pretty darn competitive though.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if any local stores carry it? Would like to avoid online purchase if at all possible.

Stop by US Defense Solutions in Greenwood. They can get you familiar with all kinds of good AR options. They even host build classes if you decide to go that route.

CS2KS2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    That is my concern with Aero or PSA, I have no idea where to start to do my own build. Good to know there is a class nearby if I go that route.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Aero sells an almost complete rifle. All you have to do is install a stock and handguard. Doesn't get much easier than this. And it's actually a decent rifle. I'd take one of these over anything else in this price range (including s&w and Rugers offering) every day of the week and twice on Sunday. At least you get a BA barrel and mil spec BCG with the Aero OEM rifle.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...gth-16-rifle-sku100-018-335-81838-174289.aspx

That is my concern with Aero or PSA, I have no idea where to start to do my own build. Good to know there is a class nearby if I go that route.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

I built my first AR15 from scratch, and I knew nothing about it when I started.
    I acquired all the needed parts, then read a tutorial on AR15.com on how to assemble your own AR15 lower.
    It took me all of about 45 minutes to complete the lower, using only a small brass hammer, a punch set for roll-pins, a block of wood, some electrical tape, and a pair of needle-nose pliers.

The upper was a little more challenging, but not much.

AR15's are simple to assemble.

ust buy the parts you want and do it...

62chevyimpala

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Stop by US Defense Solutions in Greenwood. They can get you familiar with all kinds of good AR options. They even host build classes if you decide to go that route.

Do the classes cost anything to attend? It would be a drive for me but it would be worth it!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    PSA is out of stock a lot. They are a good bang for the buck, and they sell out a lot.

Also.....it's an election year and people are starting to freak out. Depending on what happens, there could be a lot of things out of stock.

Also, Judge Scalia just died. He may be replaced with a liberal justice that could swing the votes to the liberal side of things.....again, people are starting to freak out and buy ar stuff.

Political turmoil = lots of sold out ar15 stuff and high prices.

I've had my eye on PSA for awhile now, anything I'm interested in is ALWAYS out of stock. What gives?

Top Bottom