• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    All the floating lines I've used are hollow, but the loop ends are way easier than using a barb and and tying on leader. I do still keep a couple of barbs in case somehow the loop gets broken.
    The line I had didn't have a loop. Had to tie something similar to a sheet bend to attach a leader. I thought the barb was super simple. Just like tying on a hook.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The line I had didn't have a loop. Had to tie something similar to a sheet bend to attach a leader. I thought the barb was super simple. Just like tying on a hook.
    Yeah back in the day mine didn't have loop ends either. After switching to loops though I wouldn't want to go back. Stick the line through the loop and go fishing. About 20 seconds to tie on a leader

I can't figure out how to post a video or I would show you.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Ya know, when i was young, to practice, I'd put a coffee mug down into the back yard and stand off and cast into it for practice.

Also, you can take just a bare, light hook, and put a small strip of cloth on it, maybe 1/2" x 1/4", hook it right up in the middle and when you cast it it wont break the water tension. Toss it out a few feet past a frog an "walk" it across the water in front of em, and frogs just love em. you can fill a bucket pretty quick for dinner.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I like a 5wt rod. I would also recommend a large arbor reel.
    I also like a more moderate action, but in the wind it can be rough. A faster action would help with that and bigger flies.

I've caught 5-6" gills up to 3lb largemouth on a 5wt and think it's a good middle ground.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I don't know that I'm cut out for fishing...Have never understood the "catch and release" thing.

Hunting I understand and appreciate.

Time will tell.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    @BigRed -Don't think you have to go all in with a high-dollar rod/reel outfit. I started out ~18 years ago with a Dogwood Canyon rod/reel combo from BassPro. My first trip was up to Michigan on the Au Sable, and my guide had lived on the Holy Waters there since the mid-70's. When we first got in the boat, he grabbed my rod and did some casts, and said it would do anything I needed. Mine is a 9' 5-weight two piece, with Rio 6-weight line. I also have a Redington Crosswater 7-1/2' 4-weight two piece with Rio 5-weight line.

Since then, I have been fishing in the Black Hills a lot. I use the 9' for the more open waters out there, and the 7-1/2' for tighter places like in Spearfish canyon. Most everything out there on the running water is trout- brook, brown, and rainbows. I usually go in late August, so I quit using waders and just use neoprene socks with wading shoes(better traction).

IMG_29062.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My older brother is a fly fishing junkie and what I've picked up has been from fishing with him. He went the way of the fly rod and I went the way of the rifle. If you guys haven't gone fishing in the Cadillac, Baldwin area in Michigan then you're really missing out.

The pictures of the fish I'm attaching, really aren't that overly impressive for what's up there.

I keep a 4 piece 5wt rod & reel combo from St Croix. Once you go fly fishing there's really no way to go back. Once you've watched a dry follow a current and some big fish rise up and take it then you're also hooked.

Attachments

• 18184.jpeg
      18184.jpeg
      437 KB · Views: 14
    • 18246.jpeg
      18246.jpeg
      298.9 KB · Views: 14
    Top Bottom