• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So today was my first time ocing at the greenwood gander mountain. Well it was a little weird. it seemed like everyone was staring as if i was doing something wrong but i ignored it and went about my things. my question was if you guys think that me being from hispanic decent would bring me more problems if a LEO was to spot me persay? I have been cc for over 1 year now and just decided to oc but i hesitate to do it in fear of looking down the barrel of a cop. what might you guys suggest. I feel like many cops might racial profile me and decide to do extreme things because of my apperance rather than treat me like any other person ocing. is it just in my head or might there be some truth behind my fear?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would suspect being clean-cut, decently dressed an not doing anything suspicious would help to keep LEO from giving you to much trouble.

chadc11

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Venice, FL
    I would suspect being clean-cut, decently dressed an not doing anything suspicious would help to keep LEO from giving you to much trouble.

What he said. I work retail, and we have a lot of theft. We "profile" people when they walk in the door to know who to keep an eye on. I have learned that race isn't a good way to profile at all. How a person of any race appears, i.e. clean cut and not "gangster" clothing, along with their general demeanor is far more telling than the color of their skin. Just my 2 cents.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There is the possibility of being suspected of criminal intent despite what you look like, as long as you have a gun on your side. However, the reality is, if you are "ethnic" the chances are much more prevalent you will be suspected of having the intent to do something illegal with your gun that is exposed for everyone to see. :rolleyes: For some, you could never clean up, smile, and present enough of a pleasant attitude. The best and only thing to do if you want to embrace your right is to not break the law, accept the stares, and in some instances, get over your own paranoia.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    i dress normal and consider myself clean cut if by clean cut you mean regular haircut and shaved face then yes. but the racial profiling is what worries me.

Really I dont think you have anything to worry about for the most part. If your acting like a responsible adult LEO isnt going to bother you. usually when it happens is when someone complains about the fact that you are OC'ing is when LEO gets involed.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    There is the possibility of being suspected of criminal intent despite what you look like, as long as you have a gun on your side. However, the reality is, if you are "ethnic" the chances are much more prevalent you will be suspected of having the intent to do something illegal with your gun that is exposed for everyone to see. :rolleyes: For some, you could never clean up, smile, and present enough of a pleasant attitude. The best and only thing to do if you want to embrace your right is to not break the law, accept the stares, and in some instances, get over your own paranoia.

Unfortunately True, very well put Que

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    IF you dress this way, dont OC.
    http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/48416

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    First off +1 for OCing.

Second, appearances help, but they are not everything. I am usually very well dressed when OCing and I have had problems before...

As for racial profiling, as long as people have eyes, there will be racism. The best way to help change it is to change it! OC! People only change their minds when people change it for them. Go for it!

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have been OCing for about 6-8 months. When I first started, I thought everyone's eyes were on me. This feeling goes away. Now I don't think twice about it. Occasionally someone will say something about it. When they do, I'm polite, and courteous. I also try to make some innocent joke and that puts most at ease. When I'm asked "Are you a cop?" I usually respond "No, ma'am/sir. I'm just a citizen. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night." It seems to difuse any tension the person might have.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    i dress normal and consider myself clean cut if by clean cut you mean regular haircut and shaved face then yes. but the racial profiling is what worries me.

Sounds like you have "race issues", subconscious? I doubt anyone thought "ethnic" with a gun. They probably just thought man with gun. As far as I know the police have training to deal with man with gun calls, do you think they have training for "ethnics"? I'm just dumbfounded by this post or the need to narrow down mwg calls to ethnic "insensitivities". Do you even think it's a valid excuse? Do you think every lawful 2nd amendment loving citizen regardless should narrow this down to ethicism even if none exist?

My advise if your not comfortable or have subconscious ethnic issues by which you judge others conceal carry. Less heartache. But if you'd like to join the rest of us black white red folk who exercise the freedoms our founder gave then open carry & when those cops show up.. Don't blame it on your ethnicity blame it on the fact that you had a gun period and society has been trained to fear guns regardless of the skin who owns the gun.

Good luck

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Bigoted means having negative opinions about a group of people

Racist means believing in overall superiority of one race over another

Just trying to clarify terms in an odd thread

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Unfortunately you have a legitimate concern. I guess the good news is that OCing is so rare, at least around here, that the likelihood of you being stopped and questioned by a LEO probably isn't much more than anyone else.

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    here is the thing, i install carpet for a living and there has been sevral times that customer doesnt allow me to install there carpet becaus they want proof of citezinship.i tell them as far as i know many if not all americans dont carry such proof. i show the indiana state id and still dont approve. so now in the back of my mind i have a thorn about the issue. may be im just over reacting to the ignorance of some people. ill give it another try and see how it goes.i really want to thank everyone for there support and understanding. ill will let you guys know how it went

Last edited:
    Top Bottom