• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I got pulled over in Thorntown today for speeding. There is a fairly drastic change in speed limit as you pull into town and I was about 10 over the speed limit. The officer was more polite than most officers I've dealt with. The officer asked for my registration, which I told him was in the glove box with my loaded gun (not the best terminology, but I was a little nervous at the time). He asked me if it was in a holster and if I would set it on the seat facing away from the officer. After grabbing my registration, he told me to put the pistol back and to keep my hands on the wheel. He let me go with a verbal warning, but told me that I should really hand my carry permit to an officer with the driver's license.

I would like to hear other people's opinions on this. I have always heard that you shouldn't mention that you are carrying unless you have to reach by it in the glove box or are asked to step out of the vehicle. I have heard stories of officers who give you a pretty hard time about it if you bring it up. How wolud you react if you were pulled over and had a firearm in the glove box, and what if you were carrying on your person?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe carry your gun on your person so that you dont have to have your hands anywhere near it when you reach for your registration in the glove box. :dunno:

I think you did the right thing by letting the officer know you had a gun in the glove box.
    Of course you could also have your registration in your visor cover or somewhere else, and this way you wouldn't have to mention the gun either.
    It's wise to mention the gun if you're going to have your hands near it, otherwise I dont see why it's needed.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    In order to get my license out of my wallet, I have to flip over a flap (in said wallet) which displays my LTCH. When I do this, I figure we are all on the same page. If the officer is interested he can ask. I don't really care. I figure if we talk about my having a firearm and where it is located, there is a much smaller chance of he or she seeing me reach past a firearm (we had not talked about) and their feeling obliged to stick a Glock in my ear.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I know many don't agree, but IMHO, the officer should be made aware of any weapon in the vehicle they might happen to find/notice in the course of a traffic stop. Rest assured, it WILL NOT go well for you if a LEO discover's a gun in your possession that they were not informed of.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I know many don't agree, but IMHO, the officer should be made aware of any weapon in the vehicle they might happen to find/notice in the course of a traffic stop. Rest assured, it WILL NOT go well for you if a LEO discover's a gun in your possession that they were not informed of.

WRONG!

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I thought these days that when they pull you over, the police already know you have a LTCH in Indiana, as it is linked to your IN Drivers License and Plates in their computer. I saw this in another thread, I am thinking.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Mind if I join you? I brought my own..

hermes-popcorn.gif

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just carry on your person and don't volunteer information...............WITH ANYONE.

During contact, an officer is not your friend. Unless she's cute. :naughty:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

You do know many of the Officers on INGO, don't agree..

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I was pulled over about a year ago. He said he pulled me over for not having my headlights on. It was in a school zone in the morning. I shared my LTCH with my DL and registration and always kept one hand on the wheel. I let him ask me about my pink slip.

The cop asked me if I was carrying. I said, "Yes." He asked where it was. I said it was on my right hip. He said he'd be back in a few minutes. He came back with a warning about my headlights.

I was pleased with how it turned out and my decision to share that I was carrying. Everyone's had different experiences and I'm looking forward to following this thread.
    My experience or the outcome might be different next time, but until then, I'll plan to repeat my behavior.

This was in Carmel in a school zone.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I was pulled over about a year ago. He said he pulled me over for not having my headlights on. It was in a school zone in the morning. I shared my LTCH with my DL and registration and always kept one hand on the wheel. I let him ask me about my pink slip.

The cop asked me if I was carrying. I said, "Yes." He asked where it was. I said it was on my right hip. He said he'd be back in a few minutes. He came back with a warning about my headlights.

I was pleased with how it turned out and my decision to share that I was carrying. Everyone's had different experiences and I'm looking forward to following this thread.
    My experience or the outcome might be different next time, but until then, I'll plan to repeat my behavior.

This was in Carmel in a school zone.

Please use your headlights. Its the safe thing to do.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Indiana is not a "Duty To Inform" State, there is no legal reason to hand him your LTCH with your DL
    Correct. Personally, I only inform if it is relevant. meaning I have to touch my gun to get what he is asking for. Otherwise I zip it. No sense getting officer an "officer Jumpy McJumpy" freaked out.

Maybe carry your gun on your person so that you dont have to have your hands anywhere near it when you reach for your registration in the glove box. :dunno:

I think you did the right thing by letting the officer know you had a gun in the glove box.
    Of course you could also have your registration in your visor cover or somewhere else, and this way you wouldn't have to mention the gun either.
    It's wise to mention the gun if you're going to have your hands near it, otherwise I dont see why it's needed.

+1

In order to get my license out of my wallet, I have to flip over a flap (in said wallet) which displays my LTCH. When I do this, I figure we are all on the same page. If the officer is interested he can ask. I don't really care. I figure if we talk about my having a firearm and where it is located, there is a much smaller chance of he or she seeing me reach past a firearm (we had not talked about) and their feeling obliged to stick a Glock in my ear.

I used to as well. The last time I was stopped for speeding the officer noticed my pink as I was flipping out my license, and he asked if I had my gun in the vehicle ("I see you have your LTCH..."). I have since moved it. (I didnt that day. I know, shame on me...)

Generally speaking in this state , if its a simple moving violation or other moneymaker, I disagree. The only time it gets ugly is if there are extenuating circumstances such as he finds weed in your car, you forget to tell him your gun is on top of your registration, etc.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was pulled over about three months ago for speeding. I handed the officer my DL, registration, LTCH and told him I had a firearm in the vehicle. He asked where it was and I told him in a holster on my right hip. He said that was fine and to just leave it where it was. He returned with a ticket which sucked like a straw factory, but thanked me for letting him know about the firearm. I posted my positive experience about how things went. I got the usual other side debate, but until I have a reason to change my mind I will be as good to officers by informing as they will let me be.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hah! Maybe seven or eight years ago I was pulled over just north of Spencer when they were doing one of their special OWI enforcement things. It was the one and only time I was asked to exit the vehicle and the one and only time I've been asked about weapons. The silly phony statements and questions were a little irritating like the "you were weaving all over the lane" and the classic "You know your license about to expire, right" when I had a couple of years left before renewal.

When they asked me if I had a gun or any other weapons, I was a little tired of the "interrogation," so I responded "Of course I do."

Then one of them asked me where it was and I said, "Which one?"

He asked, "What do you mean, which one?"

So I then I clarified that since he asked me where my gun was, I needed to know to which of my guns he was referring. The look on their faces was priceless. Apparently the concept of a second gun never occurred to any of them.

So then the lead guy said, "Just don't go for it and we won't have any problems."

Hah.

Top Bottom