• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Purchased a 6" AR500 Steel plate for our home range and we put it through its paces yesterday, All I have to say is wow that's impressive ! We shot it with .22, 45 Acp,.380, 9mm, 556 and 7.62x54R. Other then 1 hit on the edge with the 7.62x54R (removed a small piece) with a new paint job it will look like new again !! Many more will be added to the range soon ! Nothing like the sound and the sparks flying off steel.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Purchased a 6" AR500 Steel plate for our home range and we put it through its paces yesterday, All I have to say is wow that's impressive ! We shot it with .22, 45 Acp,.380, 9mm, 556 and 7.62x54R. Other then 1 hit on the edge with the 7.62x54R (removed a small piece) with a new paint job it will look like new again !! Many more will be added to the range soon ! Nothing like the sound and the sparks flying off steel.

Recreational Steel shooting introduced a whole new aspect of fun for us. That instant gratification of the steel ringing leads to a depletion of my ammo stores!

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Just as a couple notes on website orders.....

1: 95% of the time we can beat the shipping values on our website. Please call us up for the best rates on shipping if your order is more than a few targets.
    2: Pick ups are always an option, but we have yet to find a good way to implement them into the checkout process....again, give us a call. If you place an order on the website and wish it to be picked up, call us immediately and we'll get the order switched over and a refund on the shipping amount initiated.

looked at your site you folks are very reasonable in price, that resetting torso target is pretty cool.

Thanks! They are in stock.....:stickpoke:
    lol

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County

Was this surplus 54r? Ive been curious as to how they hold up to all the com-bloc ammo before I drop the coin on some targets. What kind of distance were you shooting at?

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Was this surplus 54r? Ive been curious as to how they hold up to all the com-bloc ammo before I drop the coin on some targets. What kind of distance were you shooting at?
    Yes it was surplus, not sure what country it was from ? Spam can stuff and we were 50 yards from the target. The direct hits were no problem for the steel, just the edge shot removed a piece about half the thickness of the 3/8" steel. Hope this helps. The 556 was the PMC green tip and it leaves a divit about the size of the tip of an ink pen.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I try to keep impact at under 2,800 fps, and no steel in the projectile. The com-bloc (most likely steel core) and green tip would be a no-go on my steel targets. :twocents:
    Surface marring could lead to irregular ricochets, and for the price of a good AR500 target, I don't look to replace them more often than needed.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I try to keep impact at under 2,800 fps, and no steel in the projectile. The com-bloc (most likely steel core) and green tip would be a no-go on my steel targets. :twocents:
    Surface marring could lead to irregular ricochets, and for the price of a good AR500 target, I don't look to replace them more often than needed.

While staying under 2800 isn't a bad idea for longevity. We'll usually tell people they should be fine up to about 3200 @ 100 yds without any detrimental long term effects.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Anytime you introduce any of the following you will get increased wear on your target (all other things equal of course):

Closer to the shooter
    Steel mounted in a solid/non-movable fashion
    Non lead core rounds

Each batch of AR500 is going to be slighty different in it's hardness. Within the spec you can actually have Brinell hardness ratings from about 480-530+ and still technically be AR500. I cannot comment on other companies, but at Bobcat Steel we will only use material that is rated 500+BHN for our targets. In the rare case we cut some from sub 500 material we will offer it at a substantial discount to our customers, like we have a few now that were cut from 490BHN and are 30% off. Obviously how much the above referenced scenarios affect the target is going to be greatly affected by the initial hardness of the target itself.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Yes it was surplus, not sure what country it was from ? Spam can stuff and we were 50 yards from the target. The direct hits were no problem for the steel, just the edge shot removed a piece about half the thickness of the 3/8" steel. Hope this helps. The 556 was the PMC green tip and it leaves a divit about the size of the tip of an ink pen.

Sweet, good to know. Be doing some shopping over the weekend I guess

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    :yesway:

What are your thoughts on steel core/jacket ammo, like 5.56 green tip, wolf .223 bi-metal, or the above mentioned steel core com-bloc stuff?
    This is a Bobcat Steel AR500 Torso. It was shot from 500 yards with .50bmg, SS109 steel core 5.56, Silver Bear .223, and spam can 7.62x54r. The only spot that was phased was where the .50 hit the edge on the right side near the hand print.

We actually recovered one of the steel cores out of the 5.56 and it looks pretty cool.

798_804232380109_1375640587_n.jpg

Top Bottom