• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I'm planning on purchasing my first firearm (G19 gen 4) in the next 6-8 months and I plan on taking my first training class then as well. I've been to the range a few times with experienced shooters, but this would be my first actual training class. Which class(es) should I plan on taking first? NRA basic pistol? An intro to personal defense with a firearm? As I've only fired a gun a few times, I don't think I've developed any bad habits yet and I want to keep it that way. I certainly plan to do lots of dry firing at home to develop muscle memory, but I want to get proper instruction on those techniques first.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I haven't done training with a lot of local people but I did used to shoot matches with INGOs own Rhino and he was very helpful to me back in the day. There are a few other guys on here that offer classes, Coach is one.

I go out to TDI Ohio and I love their school. But they fill up fast.

congrats and good luck!

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Coach has some gun handling 101 classes out in Avon (since it looks like you are on the west side of Indy). He is a pretty good instructor

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The $60 NRA online basic pistol class is very good for a beginner IMO. It includes a very nice book for later reference. You'll learn all the correct terms, actions and safe handling techniques and be ready for hands on training when completed.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    NRA basic pistol is just that. I am one of the few who is of the opinion that the NRA improved the course recently.

The course prior to 2016 was a one day course mostly in the classroom that included a little bit of live fire. Students got to shoot several different guns. The course content was standardized but depending on the instructor could vary a bit (human nature). Some instructors were very good and some not so much. It was an excellent safety and familiarization course and is recognized by some states for handgun licenses.

The new course is blended similar to Red Cross or AHA courses. This is actually quite common. The student takes the lecture portion online ($60). This will take about 5-8 hours. The online stuff is pretty good and allows for standardization. Then the student simply picks an NRA instructor for the range portion. Cost will vary for this part since you have to pay the instructor and ammo. There should be a lot more range time! There is a shooting test to pass. If somebody jumps through the hoops and the instructor is good then the results is a well rounded 12 hour safety and familiarization course.

After new Basic Pistol and once you master those expectations the next step for NRA is Defensive Pistol which is where the concealed carry and real life gun handling skills are introduced. Between the two classes a person has experienced something similar to other two day intro self defense oriented pistol classes but I am sure this will depend on the experiences of the instructors. No different then any other course.

another option is private training. I still think this is the best bang for the buck. At least to get started. Then look into a defensive pistol or other self defense course from Rangemaster, GunSite, AIM, Boone Co., Paladin, Mindset labs, etc,.......... Lots of good non-NRA choices and I don't mean to leave anyone out. No secret I am a big fan of RangeMaster!

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    One of newer site sponsors here is Defensive Shooting Concepts. I have taken several of the classes that Jonathan offers. and return for a few classes each year. I personally recommend DSC for a beginner, or any level of experience, that is looking to increase their knowledge and skill level.

One of the other members here is also now instructing with Jonathan, and I'm sure he brings even more experience to the classes. So their classes include even more now, for the price of a days training. I'm looking forward to a class with both of them at the end of the this month.

Just look around on this form and you will find many different trainers and levels of classes on here. Most all of them will come with high recommendations. So you should be able to find one that fits your needs and expectations. I don't know where else you could find a better group

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Come see us at Parabellum for Intro to Handguns before you buy. And come back for Gun-handling 101 after you buy. Plus if you buy the gun from us you get 30 hours of free range time.

I appreciate the kind words above.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Another +1 for intro training with Coach. I am grateful that I took one of his intro classes and am kicking myself that I did not take pistol training years before that. Coach can put you on the right track.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sounds like Parabellum has a very sweet deal. Going with Coach to start your training journey is a no brainer. As has been posted, he has had a hand in training A LOT of us.

You can always turn into Jackson and train with everyone big and small, but start with Coach.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why do you suggest staying away from NRA courses?

Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Having seen the lack of basic fundamentals from some nra certified instructors, I would suggest you vet them beyond relying on the NRA credentials alone.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Having seen the lack of basic fundamentals from some nra certified instructors, I would suggest you vet them beyond relying on the NRA credentials alone.

That is a very polite way to answer the question. IMO one of the reasons that NRA went to blended learning. To be fair I have seen people who have attended both NRA and non-NRA courses that could not shoot very well. Some of those people even trained with highly recommended trainers. I'm sure some people who have spent time with me fit this description. Shooting is an erodible skill that requires at least some continual practice. My guess is many people attend a gun class, improve a bit and then put the gun away. My wife would be a great example.

NRA credentials simply mean that the person is certified to offer a specific NRA course. For the most part the very experienced trainers or people making a living in the training business have abandoned the NRA programs. The funny thing is that the NRA programs are not all that different then what is being taught by the "old guard" national schools and many law enforcement agencies.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That is a very polite way to answer the question. IMO one of the reasons that NRA went to blended learning. To be fair I have seen people who have attended both NRA and non-NRA courses that could not shoot very well.

...and some of them went on to be NRA certified instructors. I'm sure you know way more about the ins and outs than I do, but from the outside looking in it seems like a certification you simply buy. For branding and getting people who don't know any better in to your classes, it's probably a wise move to pay the money and get the paper. From a student standpoint, it's not enough to rely on that paper.

It can be tough to vet who is a good instructor and who isn't, that's for sure. Especially with the nut hugging of social media, students who will right glowing reviews of literally anything, and plenty of folks teaching things that are not in their experience or wheel house and it's got to be daunting.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So in defense of NRA certified instructors... which I have in both pistol and rifle... the courses are basic but cover a lot of material. Not just how to shoot but how to teach, how to keep a student engaged and motivated to learn, how to put together a class, advertise, budget a class and most importantly safety. Is there a huge variation in instructor skill level? Sure there is. Sometimes those that can't do really can teach.

On the flip side, the last "tactical" instructor class I attended had a pistol pointed towards me within a few minutes when he was teaching SUL. It was hard to focus on anything he said for the next 30 minutes. I was pretty pissed.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    ...and some of them went on to be NRA certified instructors. I'm sure you know way more about the ins and outs than I do, but from the outside looking in it seems like a certification you simply buy. For branding and getting people who don't know any better in to your classes, it's probably a wise move to pay the money and get the paper. From a student standpoint, it's not enough to rely on that paper.

It can be tough to vet who is a good instructor and who isn't, that's for sure. Especially with the nut hugging of social media, students who will right glowing reviews of literally anything, and plenty of folks teaching things that are not in their experience or wheel house and it's got to be daunting.

I can not disagree with your assessment. The certification process is way too easy. I have to give credit to organizations such as the Second Admendment Foundation who are trying to vet their instructors better. That will last only as long as the training counselors can fill instructors courses with qualified candidates. My guess is it won't take long before the almighty dollar will become alluring and then the certification mill will begin for that organization as well.

Social media. :rolleyes: That has changed everything.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Why do you suggest staying away from NRA courses?

Others have answered but I will throw my opinion in here too. I don't recommend NRA courses for two reasons:

First, I am an RSO. When I took the class, I was excited to be around other like minded people who have a passion for guns-this couldn't have been further from the truth. The vast majority of people in my class knew little to absolutely nothing about guns-and some were current NRA pistol instructors. After this class, I met other NRA instructors, and the majority of them do not take training on their own and just use the NRA certification as a way to get students.

Second, the NRA teaches nothing about how to survive a gunfight. It's primarily about shooting holes in paper. For a brand new student, that first class is a unique opportunity to stress that owning a gun and taking training is a life-long process. It is the job of an firearms course to inspire people to continue their education-I dont feel like the NRA does that very well.

Top Bottom