• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Just as the title says. When you pick out a fixed EDC, what are some of the selling points for you?
    Do you prefer more of a drop point or straight back? Do you like more of a flat grind vs bevel grinds? swedges? Bellies?
    Do you like more of a feel and looks of Micarta vs natural woods?
    I still carry a Case XX skinner from the early 70's. My first skinning knife my pops gave me. That thing has
    cleaned more muskrats, coons, and mink like no other. But when I look at all the options out there, everyone
    has different tastes and designs.
    I finished a stag skinner right before xmas and loved the way it looked and felt. I want to make a few more of a
    "all purpose" style that others will want to own, carry, and use versus a shelf knife.
    With all your replies, I am going to take the most common points to make my next batch.
    Thanks ahead for all your replies, I look forward to hear the different styles and why !!
    Troy

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just as the title says. When you pick out a fixed EDC, what are some of the selling points for you?
    Do you prefer more of a drop point or straight back? Do you like more of a flat grind vs bevel grinds? swedges? Bellies?
    Do you like more of a feel and looks of Micarta vs natural woods?
    I still carry a Case XX skinner from the early 70's. My first skinning knife my pops gave me. That thing has
    cleaned more muskrats, coons, and mink like no other. But when I look at all the options out there, everyone
    has different tastes and designs.
    I finished a stag skinner right before xmas and loved the way it looked and felt. I want to make a few more of a
    "all purpose" style that others will want to own, carry, and use versus a shelf knife.
    With all your replies, I am going to take the most common points to make my next batch.
    Thanks ahead for all your replies, I look forward to hear the different styles and why !!
    Troy

I currently EDC a Castle Fatboy around the property and a Benchmade SOCP, when out and about, for self defense. Got some pics of your offerings?

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Got some pics of your offerings?

I will not be offering any knives at this time, I want to make sure I follow the INGO rules of 50 before I post in the classifieds.
    I am looking for replies on types of fixed EDC's that people carry and why they picked that particular type/style.
    That SOCP looks to be one bad boy to carry. What do you use the Fatboy for ?

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Wow....I could write a book about this topic:) As far as styles go, I prefer.....

-an uncoated blade...usually a tool steel (01,A2, etc.)
    -Lately, I've been diggin on blade shapes with a generous belly, but also a decent point. Approx 1/8" bladestock is a versatile thickness....especially for FFG or convex grinds
    -I can't pick a favorite grind....all depends on the task. For a woods knife, you can't go wrong with a scandi grind. In an EDC, I generally look for FFG or convex grinds
    -Handle material is also a tough one. I love the look of natural materials, but I'm not opposed to crafty work with g10 or canvas. It really just has to catch my eye.
    -As far as handle size/shape, I like a handle that fills my hand and and feels "right" with a four finger grip or choking up.
    -When it comes to blade length, I've been really favoring smaller blades lately for EDC......3" give or take seems just about perfect, but I love little fixed blades and neckers too

My current favorite fixed blade maker is Andy Roy with Fiddleback Forge. The man is just doing everything right. Gorgeous knives that are begging to be worked. He has some of the best handle designs in the business and everyone of them just seem to melt in you hand. I'm seriously contemplating a Fiddleback EDC II for my next carry fixed blade. It sports just about every aspect I mentioned above, except the tool steel, they are generally done in 154CM....which is just dandy for EDC. Fiddleback Forge Andy Roy - Bladeco

On a budget, no one does it better than Blind Horse (now Battle Horse and LT Wright Knives) Can't really go wrong with what you get from these companies.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    ...and preferences concerning "the right knife" are as varied as the people who buy knives. Trying to nail this one down...you might need a bigger hammer.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I will not be offering any knives at this time, I want to make sure I follow the INGO rules of 50 before I post in the classifieds.
    I am looking for replies on types of fixed EDC's that people carry and why they picked that particular type/style.
    That SOCP looks to be one bad boy to carry. What do you use the Fatboy for ?

He was asking for pics of your knives, not if you were selling any. But, it is good you're aware of the 50 and I could easily see how reading it really quick could confuse. I had to re-read it myself to catch it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ...and preferences concerning "the right knife" are as varied as the people who buy knives. Trying to nail this one down...you might need a bigger hammer.

Hit the nail on the head with this one...

Note - I don't carry a fixed blade knife. I honestly doubt I ever will as an EDC item.

But the intended purpose of the knife would have to match your intended purpose for the day.

Are you going hunting and need a knife that'll be your skinning tool in the field? Potentially a whole different ballgame than if you're going on a week-long backpack hike. And a completely other ballgame if you're going to be running errands in town.

Keep discussing this, though! It's fascinating to me to learn more. And to see pictures... Ahem.

-J-

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    As an EDC, I always carry an ESEE IZULA. But I often add an ESEE 4 in horizontal carry at the back of my belt. I guess if I had to pick one over the other, it would be the ESEE 4. It has every thing I want in a knife except for being as concealable as the IZULA.

Ungie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Connecticut
    Most of mine have been produced by buck. However it will tough for you to get people to give you a good representation. I own multiple fillet knifes. I also own many multi tools which i don't consider to be true knives.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Keep discussing this, though! It's fascinating to me to learn more. And to see pictures... Ahem. -J-

Ok, I will start the pixs.
    This is the one that has gone with me to every camping trip when I was a scout then as my son's leader
    Schmidt & Ziegler Soligen Germany Circ. 60's
    pcq0.jpg

This is the one my pops gave me and still use today. Case XX circ mid 60's
    kz46.jpg

I have pretty much sold all my others, cant find one that compares to this point.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    This one I made for my son's "Eagle Scout" presentation. Something he will be
    able to carry and show off to his kids (and scouts hopefully):
    x8ya.jpg

rrk2.jpg

jr3i.jpg

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Ok, I will start the pixs.
    This is the one that has gone with me to every camping trip when I was a scout then as my son's leader
    Schmidt & Ziegler Soligen Germany Circ. 60's
    pcq0.jpg

This is the one my pops gave me and still use today. Case XX circ mid 60's
    kz46.jpg

I have pretty much sold all my others, cant find one that compares to this point.

FYI: Your Case knife is a R503SSP Arapaho model from the late 1970's to early 1980's. It has pakkawood handles which Case did not start using until the late 1970's.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    FYI: Your Case knife is a R503SSP Arapaho model from the late 1970's to early 1980's. It has pakkawood handles which Case did not start using until the late 1970's.
    You ARE VERY Correct Brad ... I hit the 6 instead of the 7. I got it when I was 15 ... so that makes it about 1978 ... Thx for the correction !!!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If I had to carry a fixed blade it would be of the strider variety. Great grinds superb steel an awesome warranty. I would personally get a DB or a DB-L for carry myself.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    I am very impressed with all the responses... thank you all !!!
    So far, I am hearing that ESEE and Strider seem to be the blades of choice.
    These are great and proven knives and companies. I have been seeing from the posts
    that most stay in the "production" lines, does anyone delve into the custom lines such
    as; Wheeler, kc customs, HHH, Bradshaw, Big Chris ... etc ?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Not sure about the custom stuff I know BUSSE has a big following on this forum. But for everyday purposes Strider and ESEE will have you covered IMHO

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Hard to beat the ESEE knives for the price and what you get. I usually carry a folder of which I believe ALL have come from Brad but if I carry fixed its a ESEE 4 I bought from Knife Lady

Top Bottom