• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raillex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2020
    Dyer
    I own a 22" Remington 1100 slug barrel with a 1977 barrel code, rifle sights and fixed choke. I can't find any markings on the barrel that specify choke size, and was wondering whether the absence of a marking means the choke is cylinder bore, improved cylinder, or something else. I don't own a micrometer, and therefore don't have the means to measure the bore diameter.

Any thoughts on what size choke I have?

Thanks.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I own a 22" Remington 1100 slug barrel with a 1977 barrel code, rifle sights and fixed choke. I can't find any markings on the barrel that specify choke size, and was wondering whether the absence of a marking means the choke is cylinder bore, improved cylinder, or something else. I don't own a micrometer, and therefore don't have the means to measure the bore diameter.

Any thoughts on what size choke I have?

Thanks.
    Are there any markings towards the back of the barrel like a series of asterisks? It's at least going to be cylinder or improved cylinder.

Raillex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2020
    Dyer
    The barrel is in the shop right now for a front sight swap, but my recollection is that it has a date code and assorted proof marks, but no asterisks. My other Remington fixed choke barrels all have the word "full" printed on the rear left side, and I gather from photographs I've seen on the internet that Remington marked at least some improved cylinder barrels with the letters "IC" in the same area of the barrel.

I agree that the choke is probably cylinder or improved cylinder, but which one?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The barrel is in the shop right now for a front sight swap, but my recollection is that it has a date code and assorted proof marks, but no asterisks. My other Remington fixed choke barrels all have the word "full" printed on the rear left side, and I gather from photographs I've seen on the internet that Remington marked at least some improved cylinder barrels with the letters "IC" in the same area of the barrel.

I agree that the choke is probably cylinder or improved cylinder, but which one?
    Yes, Remington usually put full, mod, etc on the barrels. Most slug barrels were IC and the shorter defense barrels were cylinder, my 18 inch says cyl right on it but I don't think we can say for sure.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I may be wrong, but why sweat it?

If its a slug, its not going to matter.

If you run shot through a rifled barrel, your patterns are going to suck no matter what. LOL

Raillex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2020
    Dyer
    I may be wrong, but why sweat it?

If its a slug, its not going to matter.

If you run shot through a rifled barrel, your patterns are going to suck no matter what. LOL
    This one's a smoothbore with rifle sights. I might shoot 00 buck through it at some point, and I'd rather have an IC choke than none if I decide to go that route.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Does a dime fit through the choke?

A dime is 0.705" so that would give you a starting point.
    Mod is usually 0.710, IC .720, Cyl .724-.729.

Chokes aren't usually labeled by their constriction, but by their patterning percentages, but they tend to usually line up in that ballpark.

Raillex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2020
    Dyer
    I retrieved my slug barrel from the shop today, and the thought occurred to me that I could ID the size of my choke by simply holding various diameter Remchokes to the muzzle and shining a flashlight down the barrel to see which one matched the diameter of the muzzle. The IC Remchoke was a perfect match.

Might as well use this opportunity to give a thumbs up to my new Williams fiber optic sights. 1000 times better than the iron sights that came with the barrel.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Regardless of the choke you will want to pattern your buckshot. My sons cylinder bore Mossberg 590 actually patterns about the same or tighter then my IC 870. Not sure why? Every barrel is different, even among the same model of gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yes, Remington smoothbore slug bbls were usually Imp Cyl. The standard 870 and 1100 models. On their Remchoke slug bbls they came w 2 choketubes, Imp Cyl and Rifled.

There may have been some smoothbore non choketube bbls in Modified choke. i have seen one but it was not an original. Heard of others being factory but have never seen one.

Mossberg rifle sight slug bbls way back were cylinder ( no choke ).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Id run a smaller brass bead ( if having good eyes) over a fiberoptic. The FO sights are not the most durable. Dont like them on anything really

Have an 870 rifle sight remchoke 3.5" turkey bbl with them. In good light thwy sure do glow. But in crappy light they dont do much. Came w the bbl. Getting replaced

Raillex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2020
    Dyer
    Id run a smaller brass bead ( if having good eyes) over a fiberoptic. The FO sights are not the most durable. Dont like them on anything really

Have an 870 rifle sight remchoke 3.5" turkey bbl with them. In good light thwy sure do glow. But in crappy light they dont do much. Came w the bbl. Getting replaced
    That's just it. My eyes date back to the Eisenhower administration, and I'm having a harder time with my focus the older I get. Having said that, all my field and trap barrels still sport beads, and I don't have any plans to change them just yet.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    That's just it. My eyes date back to the Eisenhower administration, and I'm having a harder time with my focus the older I get. Having said that, all my field and trap barrels still sport beads, and I don't have any plans to change them just yet.

I'd give serious consideration to XS big dots.

It epoxies over top of a bead sight, and would be far easier to pick up for failing eyes.

ArGYDAk.png

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The only time i look at the bead on my gun is when turkey hunting using it as a rifle type sight.

Clay or feather i am aware of the barrel but am focused on the flying thing.

Top Bottom