• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I've been trying to find one for a new bolt action I just got. Is it really just down to the Leupold FX Series and the Burris 2.75x? I feel like there use to be a lot more for basic fixed power scopes.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You think because they got better at making LPVOs that making fixed didn't seem worth it? I always had the impression fixed being simpler had better image quality and light transference.
    Yup, coatings and tech these days has variables plenty good enough.
    Plus if the exit pupil isn't quite right, dial it back to brighten it up.
    I had a 4x on my timber deer rifle, it now wears a 2-7X.
    Lower mag makes movers easy.
    Also, body changes/aging....I needed my scope a little more rearward. The 4X Leupold compact (1st version w slightly longer tube compared to 2nd version) wouldn't work without a base/ring change. My longer 2-7X Leupold VX1 got me where I needed to be.

I do like fixed scopes.
    An FX3 12X would be nice on a Ruger #1 varmint rig.

Last edited:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I much prefer fixed power scopes. Have a several 4x or 6x on my deer rifles. Used a fixed 10 x on my heavy 308 Remington. Use an fixed 16x on a 223 Remington heavy barrel as well.

Have 2x Scout scopes on 2 rifles.

Nothing against variables just like the idea of one less thing to compensate for or deal with.

Don

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Please help a simple man to understand what this issue is all about ... given that a fixed power scope isn't adjustable, if you set an adjustable scope at the power you want and don't move it, isn't that a fixed power scope?

To my way of thinking, this just a first world problem.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Please help a simple man to understand what this issue is all about ... given that a fixed power scope isn't adjustable, if you set an adjustable scope at the power you want and don't move it, isn't that a fixed power scope?

Traditionally, they were cheaper and lighter. Less complicated mechanism made light transference and image quality somewhat better than their adjustable counterparts. But as Hookeye pointed out, it's 2023 and the technology has improved for adjustables can match/surpass fixed powers in these areas which rendered them kinda obsolete.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Not really. The internals, gears, moving parts, weight and cluttered dials and such add waste and time to target acquisition, variable inconsistencies in eye relief and more things to go wrong. Back in the day we ran 10,12, and 14 power fixed Leupolds with ease and comfort.

Industry streamlined to a market of buyers who are paying the money to enable this shortcut. Sad.

What the real rifleman needs is a 12 inch OAL 1 inch, low mount side focus simple fixed power. This gives him simplicity, speedy targets, less weight and a rugged outfit for off the rack and on the kill zone forever.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    What the real rifleman needs is a 12 inch OAL 1 inch, low mount side focus simple fixed power. This gives him simplicity, speedy targets, less weight and a rugged outfit for off the rack and on the kill zone forever.

Gonna have to strongly disagree on the 1” aspect, at a minimum. I have maybe two 1” scopes left, on rifles that I specifically wanted to keep light weight and simple, and for which I do not dial/short-range/they’re zeroed for MPBR and left alone.

For anything else, I want the added strength and internal ability to dial for longer shots that a 30mm (or even 34mm) affords. And while I love a quality fixed 10x, with the reliability and quality found in higher tier variable optics, I see no reason not to use one IMO.

What it comes down to is how you define “real rifleman,” though. That has a major influence on what the end user needs really are. :)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Gonna have to strongly disagree on the 1” aspect, at a minimum. I have maybe two 1” scopes left, on rifles that I specifically wanted to keep light weight and simple, and for which I do not dial/short-range/they’re zeroed for MPBR and left alone.

For anything else, I want the added strength and internal ability to dial for longer shots that a 30mm (or even 34mm) affords. And while I love a quality fixed 10x, with the reliability and quality found in higher tier variable optics, I see no reason not to use one IMO.

What it comes down to is how you define “real rifleman,” though. That has a major influence on what the end user needs really are. :)
    To clear up my 1 inch tube comment, I was talking about Field Use. Professional and Extreme Applications aside, the 1 inch with its lighter weight and smaller, sleeker, lower cost and commonality makes field shots for game under 400 yards (humane hunting) better for my purposes. And since I employ so many scopes, the uniformity of retical subtensions across my inventory streamlines my retical manegement for various measurements on different targets.

Nothing wrong with larger tubes, just not needed for my applications.

See you on the range…..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive killed a fair number of chucks over the years and mostly w variable scopes.

Like a variable for a closer offhand shot.
    Did OK w a fixed 10x for a few yrs, but at the shot ya lost image.

Leupolds have a forgiving eyebox and decent eye relief. Their variables work fine for me.

2-7, 3-9, 3.5-10, 4-12, 6-18x.
    Fixed I ran 4,10 and 12x.

Classic gloss 1Inch scopes look best on Ruger #1s and similar (IMHO).

Big eyepieces are ugly. And larger dia tubes can look funky on some rigs ( but better on some vs skinny 1" .....example: steyr pro hunter ).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Aesthetics dont matter to some folks.
    I cant stand the looks of busy reticles or giant beer can eyepieces. Not on my hunting rigs.

And as i get older theyre getting heavier on their own.

For sub 300.yard shooting im content w a 12x on top end. My .22-250 wears an old Vari X iii
    3.5-10x AO. Gloss.

Shame Leupold.quit.making those. That version, w click adj, would.be hard to beat for a lot of hunting, IMHO.

My cz 22 mag wears a VX1 3-9x i had laying around. Its my close range walking varmint rifle. Itd proly be better served w a 2-7x or the old fixed 6X AO. But w 24" bbl a reg 3-9x doesnt look too big on it

And like another pointed out. A variable.can be a fixed power. I leave the scope on my 22 mag set at 6x LOL.

I can shoot offhand OK at 6x. Plus i haven't adjusted the parallax on it. BTW at 50 yards the max power and staying in focus, is 6x.

Convenient.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not really. The internals, gears, moving parts, weight and cluttered dials and such add waste and time to target acquisition, variable inconsistencies in eye relief and more things to go wrong. Back in the day we ran 10,12, and 14 power fixed Leupolds with ease and comfort.

Industry streamlined to a market of buyers who are paying the money to enable this shortcut. Sad.

You just set the scope up for eye relief at max mag and dont worry about it. If you dial it down it gets more forgiving.

If its 3" plus it should be good enough

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Do like the clean look of some fixed Leupolds.
    But then I like the looks of some falling blocks.
    Kills me to see a nice looking rifle w a funky scope on top.
    Shame gloss Leupolds are gone.
    A 3.5-10x 40mm AO w click adj would be the perfect rimfire hunter IMHO.
    The old 6x AO was pretty sweet.
    Prices have gone insane on that stuff.
    Cheapest for what it is, the M8 10x.
    People want more or less mag in fixed, the 10x kind of forgotten. The older fixed stuff was gangly/ long tube. Later M8s looked better.
    Same look as FX series.

I have a 10x as a spare in my scope box. Also have newer 3-9x EFR freedom and a 6-18x Freedom im not using.

Excuse to buy a rifle to put under LOL.
    I would upgrade my old vari x iii to an FX3 straight 12x, if i could find one at sane price.
    For not much more i can just get a new 6.5-20x

Last edited:
    Top Bottom