• My opinion of banning desecration of the American flag:

• Total voters

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I must have been asleep in 2006, or more accurately, swamped with calculus homework. But I didn't realize the US Congress almost passed a Constitutional Amendment that would ban flag burning, and all other forms of flag desecration.

It failed by only one vote.

I read this when reading about Hillary Clinton. It seems she was a big supporter of another encroachment on your liberty and an excuse for the Feds to regulate what you do.

"Those who would burn the flag destroy the symbol of freedom,

but amending the Constitution would destroy part of freedom itself."
    —Vietnam veteran Richard Savage

So lets play Congress. How do you vote?

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Against. Our fighting men and women are dying for nothing if we can't have free speech or otherwise can't handle freedom.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I don't want our amendments soiled with restrictions on citizens.

You ought to be able to burn anything you bought yourself.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    You missed an option.

You can do it but if I see you I'll kick your @$$ into next week.

Sign me up for that one.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    A double-digit percentage of people support scary, enormous government, that could potentially arrest you for wearing a flag tshirt. Real patriots are they.

Reported to the Gestapo, a brown shirt attendant will be along to bludgeon you in a timely fashion. Until then please take this time to read your hand book and assume the party position.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    You missed an option.

You can do it but if I see you I'll kick your @$$ into next week.

Sign me up for that one.

This is an area where I'm caught between emotion and principle.

My emotion says, "Kick his butt into next week, if for nothing else than he's irony challenged."

Unfortunately for me, principle rules, and I have to say that I hope you are prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law. I can think of nothing worse than violence to suppress someone else's rights.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I think you should be able to burn the Flag or the Koran without the weight of the state coming down on you.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

My emotion says, "Kick his butt into next week, if for nothing else than he's irony challenged."

Unfortunately for me, principle rules, and I have to say that I hope you are prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law. I can think of nothing worse than violence to suppress someone else's rights.

But herein is where your argument fails. I cannot violate anyone's rights. It's not within my power to do so. Only the government can violate rights.

As Fletch said in another thread, actions have consequences. The consequence of burning the flag is a swift whoopin. The consequence of administering said whoopin is potentially having to throw yourself on the mercy of 12 jurors. It only takes one patriot to to nullify.

And if there are no patriots on the jury, there was at least the one that did the whoopin. I'm OK with that.

I think you should be able to burn the Flag or the Koran without the weight of the state coming down on you.

I agree 100%. But that doesn't mean I have to sit and watch without acting. That's not the weight of the government. That's the weight of my boot.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Its really simple for me. What the hell are we risking our very lives for in the military for if not to protect the rights of Americans?

You have the right to express yourself by burning the flag and that right should not be infringed.

Having said that take note, you have the right. But don't expect to burn a flag in front of me and not end up wearing you ass for a hat. Expect the consequences for your actions.

By the way if you really want to destroy a flag take it to your local VFW and they will show you the proper way to dispose of an American flag.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I agree 100%. But that doesn't mean I have to sit and watch without acting. That's not the weight of the government. That's the weight of my boot.

By all means, boot away, as long as you're not doing so under color of law or the authority of the state. Consequences may follow, but that's up to you to consider.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township

:yesway:

But herein is where your argument fails. I cannot violate anyone's rights. It's not within my power to do so. Only the government can violate rights.

As Fletch said in another thread, actions have consequences. The consequence of burning the flag is a swift whoopin. The consequence of administering said whoopin is potentially having to throw yourself on the mercy of 12 jurors. It only takes one patriot to to nullify.

And if there are no patriots on the jury, there was at least the one that did the whoopin. I'm OK with that.

This internet cowboy stuff kinda makes me want to burn a flag just to get a reaction and see if all you Rambo's out there really posess your self proclaimed balls of personal justice.

Seriously though, who here has actually kicked someones ass for burning the flag? Everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon of badass, but who really has and who really will? Will you gladly serve out your prison sentence, only to have your right to bear arms taken away?

In fact, this is my personal challenge to all those who believe that felony assault is a means to liberty. PM me a time and a public place, I'll bring one of those little flags my kid gets at the 4th of July parades, I'll set it ablaze, and we'll see if you proceed to physically assault me.

FTR, I proudly fly the flag over my household. I have a great respect for the sacrifices the men and woman of this country have made serving under the flag. :patriot:

Bottom line.......if you commit a crime to stop someone from doing something that is not crime, you are a crimminal and have just disgraced the very liberties you claim to be defending.

Top Bottom